190 replies to this topic

#181 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 06:01 AM

People are already checking the highest and lowest scanned star record breakers with 500 LYs jump range... Love the change to personal carriers, previously it was said only squadrons will be able to own one.

#182 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,424 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 05:44 PM

::

Learn more here.

#183 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 07:47 AM

An interesting take on using Voice Attack in Elite. I did try and was never able to use it properly. The second any of the children sees me talking to the computer, it is majorly interesting to talk about it and I can't play at all...

For a newcomer Elite is a nightmare, you'll spend hours just to set up commands and hours more to optimize them for most efficient use.

And a few interesting bits of info.

#184 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,424 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 08:51 PM

This talking to inanimate objects business somehow reminds me of the Doors of Durin and their plain, if obfuscated, inscription of guidance to gain entry: "Speak friend and enter".

Voice commands used to be considered the holy grail of future man-machine interaction for sure, SV, but for something as demanding as spaceship maneuvering in three-dimensional space with fine adjustments (and lacking mind control/direct wiring/AI assist), motor control is it.

Just imagine how many voice commands you'd have to utter per second to achieve the same result as multiple angled twists of your wrists on flight sticks.

It would drive you nuts to even come anywhere close vociferating, and so would the expense in wrecked vessels. :P

#185 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:35 AM

All true. There are things I'd love to use voice commands for though. For instance - in the middle of the battle changing the distributor settings (shield/engine/weapons) is a chore as you need another three keys near the already large array of movement buttons. But if it won't work really well, it is best to just drop the mouse, correct the settings and regain control...

#186 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,424 posts

Posted 24 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Posted Image

The much anticipated addition of personal Fleet Carriers has now officially been postponed to Q2 2020.

#187 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,424 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 11:18 AM

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall writes about a new generation ship found in Elite: Dangerous, surprisingly with people in it.

#188 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 17 November 2019 - 06:52 AM

I've been participating in this new FD orchestrated event that binds several consecutive community goals. These events are called interstellar initiatives and add some nice flavour to the game, though I'd still much prefer some story. Naturally, whenever any gathering of players occurs, it draws in flocks of gankers who were just waiting to show their skillz. This initiative is no exception.

#189 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,424 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:02 AM

@SV: dear friend, should you have survived the vile attacks upon your convoy, here is further intel about the events surrounding The Golconda generation ship:

Posted Image

Sides are being taken as reported here. Mind the potential spoilers.

#190 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,457 posts

Posted 19 November 2019 - 08:42 AM

I really wish FD would enable a more in-game experience instead of forum-based storytelling... Still, better than nothing - which is what we got before interstellar initiatives. Community goals were total crap, no real rewards, no impact on game world.

EDIT: Don't mind the potential spoilers. If you want to know what to do at all, you'll need to read the whole thing anyway.

#191 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,424 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 05:36 PM

Posted Image

Frontier Developments commits to squashing game breaking bugs and stability issues in their next update in January, as detailed here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users