Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:32 PM

Posted Image

::

RPS' Corey Milne reports having flown to the centre of the galaxy in Elite Dangerous' in the Distant Worlds 2 expedition, only to find it overrun with criminals.

#162 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:13 AM

He he he, nice to see the coverage. I have to say I don't like FD's decision to populate the centre. It used to be an adventure to go there and come back alive, now that charm is gone. But ok, we're pressing on. IMO most of the gankers are gone by now, especially since waypoint no. 8 was positioned well above the galactic plane and a warship would have serious problems getting there as the stars are so far apart. But I guess some would be willing to lose some armour and so forth just to have another go so we'll be staying in private group for the duration.

Last night a group jump was organized, I'll post pics later. Definitely quite an experience to see some 60 ships gathered and jumping at the same time. For some reasons unknown to mankind, the servers held up and we were able to play the game some more.

#163 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 06:06 AM

Elite is being updated in April. Quite a lot of new systems will be added, offering a lot of support for the new players. Much needed, though too late for me. :D

Beginners' Zone, Advanced Docking Computer​, Supercruise Assist​, small ships will be outfitted with two additional size one Optional Internal slots, while medium and large ships will also receive one additional Optional Internal slot. This will automatically and retroactively apply to all relevant ships, which will help me in a few months when I get back from DW2 expedition. Would really be glad to have them earlier, I'd be able to bring a repair limpet controller... Also some other improvements, more hidden behind the link.

#164 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

We thank our intrepid galactic explorer, SV, for this timely report. Posted Image

A very welcome and long overdue update by all accounts. This should keep some unfortunate loss of property from happening as often at least.

Though I expect some less considered landings in challenging environments will continue to prove problematic because upgrading people is a whole other matter... :P

#165 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 01:10 PM

View PostThorondor, on 11 April 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

Though I expect some less considered landings in challenging environments will continue to prove problematic because upgrading people is a whole other matter... Posted Image

Absolutely! :D

I'm happy to report changes to Elite even from... well, some halfway from Sag-A* to Beagle Point, which is the most distant place to which you can escape from Sol.

I like the newcomers' additions, though the added modules are far too much. those extra slots make practically all ships omni-potent in exploration, all ships will be self-sufficient for all but indefinitely. I know I'm the minority but I do think space should become more dangerous. Going across the galaxy should be very dangerous for all and bordering on impossible for small ships, very dangerous for medium and a risky endeavour for large. With extra modules one can take both an AFMU (repair thingy for internal modules) and repair limpets (hull and canopy repair) on any ship and go anywhere.

#166 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:59 PM

Posted Image

PC Gamer's Andy Kelly is apparently addicted to space trading in Elite Dangerous, as reported here.

#167 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:04 AM

but I don't play this game for the fast-paced thrills and spills of space combat: I play it for the escapism, the atmosphere, and the sense of place. I'm here to fly rust-bucket spaceships, gaze slack-jawed at cosmic scenery, and pretend to exist in a vivid, lived-in science fiction world.

I can very, very much relate to this.

#168 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:35 AM

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall writes about what it's like to map a galaxy in Elite: Dangerous.

#169 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

PC Gamer's Fraser Brown reports that Elite: Dangerous hacks are becoming a problem.

#170 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:23 AM

So I read at the forums, too... FD is active in this regard though IMO not as strict as one would like.

Anyway, yesterday I landed at one of the asteroid bases, some 3kLYs from the bubble. Finally, I've had quite enough of deep space. Been to the other side of the galaxy and back. Completed mostly all the goals I set for myself. I promised pics and I'll deliver. No promises on dates though.

#171 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

A story about how Elite made Michael's last months a little more bearable is published in Guardian. A really touching story, I'm so glad Frontier took the time for some personal involvement.

#172 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

Oh, man... Posted Image  *sniffles*

Damn onions... Posted Image

So awesome the folks at Frontier reached for the stars, so to speak, and did what they did. Michael's final days were fortunately graced with such sparks of joy.

#173 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:43 PM

Just for kicks I recorded deep core asteroid mining. This is all the rage in Elite lately, the most profitable activity around - especially if you're after Void opals like I am. Not that I need the credits but mining is also the most polished feature, so I'm enjoying the activity for the time being.

#174 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:55 AM

Very refined of you, prospector SV. ;)

I can't help but think that in a real-world scenario navigating that asteroid field would be extremely hazardous. Way too big of a collision risk at every turn, so, in my mind at least, it would make more sense to use some automated unmanned craft to tend to such affairs.

Just a walk in the park for you, from what I can tell, though. :)

#175 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 03:18 PM

A first look at what’s approaching Elite Dangerous in December 2019: Fleet Carriers.

#176 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 09:37 PM

View PostThorondor, on 07 July 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Very refined of you, prospector SV. Posted Image

I can't help but think that in a real-world scenario navigating that asteroid field would be extremely hazardous. Way too big of a collision risk at every turn, so, in my mind at least, it would make more sense to use some automated unmanned craft to tend to such affairs.

Just a walk in the park for you, from what I can tell, though. Posted Image

Bah, not a problem for a triple elite player... :D

I would really like to see the big ships in Elite act like BIG ships. Anaconda is bigger than a football field yet, as you can see in the vid, it moves as if there was next to no momentum. True, this Anaconda is quite pimped up, engineered to the full mostly, but the hugeness of the ship should be reflected more obviously.

As it is, ships of all sizes are mostly flown like fighters, all viable for fixed weapons. I do wish we'd get a ship that acts like a corvette or even a frigate in Star Wars for instance.

#177 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 04:36 PM

Posted Image

RPS' Brendan Caldwell reports that Elite: Dangerous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition claimed many ships, but about a quarter of the participants finally reached their intended destination last month.

#178 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,405 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:29 PM

Me included. I came a bit earlier as it became clear there won't be a tutored voyage back - as it was to Beagle Point. Meaning no gatherings, more or less solitude for months.

I admit, I'm no hermit. I like some time off, but that is it. So I used fast lane, meaning Neutron Highway, and came back before losing my mind.

#179 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,051 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 08:53 AM

Posted Image

RPS' Corey Milne reports eyeing the Abyss at the end of the five-month Elite: Dangerous expedition he also took part in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users