#141 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 07:23 PM

::

Starting January 13th 2019, a months-long journey is to be undertaken by some 4.600 Elite: Dangerous players as reported by Polygon's Charlie Hall.

#142 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:50 PM

Last I heard it was around 7k and I'm going!!!

#143 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 10:02 PM

Yep, checked and there are more than 7000 commanders applied for the expedition. Naturally, not all will come and there will be some dropouts. I may be among them as Erazem will be pissed at only being able to use one ship, not even one of "his" ships. I was forced to hand him over my Krait mk.II, he really twisted my arm over it. Oh, and I had to buy him a Sidewinder (basically a free ship) and a Mamba (not at all free). So yeah, I must go with an Anaconda or he will will claim ownership (gametime) of the Krait, which was a second choice. It might have been first but seriously, only big ships should be allowed to travel the expanse of the galaxy.

My suggestions to make it all too dangerous for small ships were NOT met with cheering at FD forums...

#144 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:23 AM

By your accounts, SV, Councillor Erazem has already grown to be a tough negotiator. ;)

I suggest you take your secret Vader out of the closet and deliver the terrifying "I am your father" line to full effect. :P

And, ship dimensions... What is it they say about size not being all that matters? :D

#145 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall starts packing for Elite Dangeous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition, as reported here.

#146 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Nice article.

This:

Unfortunately, not every repair can be performed on your own. If you damage the hull, you’ll need another player equipped with the right modules to patch you up.

is wrong though. You can patch your ship's hull without a problem IF you take the repair limpet controller. Which I do have. Taking a ship like Anaconda makes it all a lot easier, you can just take it all. Posted Image

The only module neither yourself nor anyone else can repair for you is powerplant. For some inexplicable reason.

#147 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

@SV: someone Posted Image should set him straight (doesn't seem like anyone bothered in the article's comments section) as otherwise his recounting of what's involved will be inaccurate.

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall considers how can 8.000 players in Elite: Dangerous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition be kept safe, as reported here.

#148 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

Ah damn, I need to wait for a day to post comments at Polygon...

BTW, the answer to how do you keep 8k players safe is - you don't. The organizers themselves are warning people that some gankers may be ready to travel all across the galaxy just to have a lot of fun destroying people where it hurts most. So when we arrive to the destination, I'm playing in a private group.

#149 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:35 PM

We melted the servers, no surprise there. In Open play there were gankers all over, destroying explorers with impunity, so I joined a private group. Quite a few of us gathered at the meetup and started the journey at 21:00 CET. I never made it to the end of the jump, the servers were already down... :D I'll start the trip again now.

#150 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

Polygon's Owen S. Good has word on some 10.000 people being involved (and I've heard about 12.000 elsewhere) at the start of the expedition. They've reached out to Frontier Developments for an update on how things will progress in terms of coping with the ongoing stress this puts on servers.

#151 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:44 PM

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall writes about the first day of Elite: Dangerous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition.

#152 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:19 PM

Posted Image

RPS' Brendan Caldwell too writes about the potential mishaps that can befall the pilots participating in this daring Elite: Dangerous exploration trip.

#153 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,358 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:46 AM

12.193 and counting. (12.200 when I finished the post)

I joined a FleetComm private group (PG) to avoid gankers (people only trying to harm other players, preferably unarmed ones) but I hear they are trying to infiltrate the group... PGs restrict all non-members to be thrown into the same instance as members and if gankers somehow infiltrate the group, there will be carnage. Exploration ships are literally destroyed in seconds.

FD actually discussed the possibility to recreate the destroyed exploration ships with all data and resurrect the player at the location he was in, despite the previous hard stance on Elite being a game where destruction is destruction. They realize that people can not prevent meeting gankers and can not escape. So far the statement was that they will review each case and decide whether it was a situation a player could have avoided or not. Basic prerequisites are that you are in a PvE private group and are not wanted by the authorities.

#154 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall writes about Elite: Dangerous' eventful first week in the Distant Worlds 2 expedition.

#155 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:54 PM

Posted Image

RPS' Corey Milne writes about his experiences so far in Elite: Dangerous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition.

#156 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 34,769 posts

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

Posted Image

Polygon's Charlie Hall writes about how Elite: Dangerous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition proves the game is wildly unbalanced, yet that's ok.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users