Elite: Dangerous

Space Voyager

Guardian fighters are utter crap, their hulls are paper thin and their shields do not stand out either. So they vanish in an instant. No wonder Guardians vanished, too. ;)

ANYWAY, I'm pretty bored with the game so I'm joining a possibly interesting voyage into a previously unreachable Cone sector riding Canonn's megaship Gnosis. The sector remains unreachable BUT Frontier will let the ship jump in. Jumping in sadly means that on Thursday, when Frontier imports all their updates and changes to the universe, the ship will be deleted from Outotz ST-I d9-4 and will be added to Cone Sector FN-J b9-0 with all the docked commanders. We'll be unable to return to the bubble until Gnosis jumps out in a month.

Presumably it will be an exploratory expedition (booooooring, done enough scanning) but we are alerted that there might be a widespread Thargoid infestation inside. But I fear a group named HALT more. These Thargoid huggers abuse the fact that anti-Thargoid weaponry does very little damage to Human ships and will attack anyone who has these weapons armed. Allegedly this is role-playing and they are trying to save Thargoids for whatever reason, but I'm sure their decision is largely backed by the fact that Thargoid hunters are more or less unarmed against them. So, my ship is not equipped against Thargoids but people. But, if possible, I'll have the rest of the equipment sent to the megaship. It will probably cost a fortune as the ship is pretty far from the inhabited space.

My prediction is that the whole expedition will be a total bore and I'll finally find the time for the photobook. If I'm wrong, the book will wait. :D

Sounds like you're going for a cruise, SV, old chap.

The Gnosis is certainly impressive enough to house all a gentleman might need, including fine tea for you to sip whilst waiting for something even remotely of any import to occur that might be worthy of your attention.

Of course, one must not discount the likely rather entertaining Thargoid safari at the destination.

Do make sure to take some photos of the trophies to put on display at the Expedite Voyager Aristocrat's Club! wink.png

grin.gif

I wouldn't know about the aristocrats and all, somehow it doesn't fit me. Safari on the other hand sounds juuuuust fine, since we'd be defending Human race and Gnosis - RP statement, though FD might actually stage an attack with possible damage to the ship. Anyway, I'm on the ship, waiting for the jump (Thursday morning).

Attacks on stations - and possibly Gnosis - are staged similarly to jumps. There are Thargoid signals in the system, which you can jump to and fight them. While avoiding HALT or simply playing in solo. If enough Thargoid ships are destroyed, the attack is deterred. If not, on Thursday the Gnosis is deleted and replaced by a damaged model. This is one of the many grievances in Elite - nothing ever happens on-line, everything is simulated into calculations and inserted when the "universal tick" occurs.

FD is currently also being bombarded by disappointed players for cancelling two of the main features they promised for Q4; player-owned carriers and upgraded icy world terrain. Both very anticipated features that would be better not to have been announced than later cancelled. Too bad, but we're presumably still getting things worth waiting for.

EDIT: Ah, I could've just checked for Obsidian's vids...

Worse. The article does not tell the ugly details... Ok, so Gnosis was intercepted and this was hinted at in forums for some time and written about as fact in Elite news six hours before the jump even occured. :D But no, this is not the ugly detail.

So some scrambled to defend the ship. And fired at the attackers in the fire exclusion zone. And got fired at by the Gnosis, destroyed and transported to detenton center. 1,5kLY away!

Frontier Developments reaaaaaally blew this one. The scenario was never thought throug and even less tried, not for a single minute. Anyone would notice these most distressing details. And yes, there are gankers aboard. Destroying other players just for kicks. They may be the most dissapointed bunch really as they hoped people wouldn't be able to get out of the prison of permit locked systems... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

::

A classic prototype being brought back to life, the Mamba is one of the fastest ships in production. With one huge, two large, and two small hardpoints, it also packs a punch. This emphasis on firepower and speed means the ship can hit hard and fast, vanishing before the target has a chance to react.

• 4 weeks later...

Dammit, the download took ages last night and there were server issues the whole evening so I eventually gave up for the day.

The thing I don't get is efficiency bonus in exploration. Why does using less probes for getting the data increase its value? You're already penalized for being inefficient by the time spent... But whatever, I'm really excited for the update, will tell more eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, checked and there are more than 7000 commanders applied for the expedition. Naturally, not all will come and there will be some dropouts. I may be among them as Erazem will be pissed at only being able to use one ship, not even one of "his" ships. I was forced to hand him over my Krait mk.II, he really twisted my arm over it. Oh, and I had to buy him a Sidewinder (basically a free ship) and a Mamba (not at all free). So yeah, I must go with an Anaconda or he will will claim ownership (gametime) of the Krait, which was a second choice. It might have been first but seriously, only big ships should be allowed to travel the expanse of the galaxy.

My suggestions to make it all too dangerous for small ships were NOT met with cheering at FD forums...

By your accounts, SV, Councillor Erazem has already grown to be a tough negotiator. ;)

I suggest you take your secret Vader out of the closet and deliver the terrifying "I am your father" line to full effect. :P

And, ship dimensions... What is it they say about size not being all that matters? :D

Nice article.

This:

Unfortunately, not every repair can be performed on your own. If you damage the hull, you’ll need another player equipped with the right modules to patch you up.

is wrong though. You can patch your ship's hull without a problem IF you take the repair limpet controller. Which I do have. Taking a ship like Anaconda makes it all a lot easier, you can just take it all. smile.png

The only module neither yourself nor anyone else can repair for you is powerplant. For some inexplicable reason.

@SV: someone wink.png should set him straight (doesn't seem like anyone bothered in the article's comments section) as otherwise his recounting of what's involved will be inaccurate.

::

qohenleth.0.jpg

Polygon's Charlie Hall considers how can 8.000 players in Elite: Dangerous' Distant Worlds 2 expedition be kept safe, as reported here.

Ah damn, I need to wait for a day to post comments at Polygon...

BTW, the answer to how do you keep 8k players safe is - you don't. The organizers themselves are warning people that some gankers may be ready to travel all across the galaxy just to have a lot of fun destroying people where it hurts most. So when we arrive to the destination, I'm playing in a private group.

We melted the servers, no surprise there. In Open play there were gankers all over, destroying explorers with impunity, so I joined a private group. Quite a few of us gathered at the meetup and started the journey at 21:00 CET. I never made it to the end of the jump, the servers were already down... :D I'll start the trip again now.