TFTD on superhuman without saves

szindrom

I recently got this idea of trying to finish TFTD without saving the game on superhuman difficulty.. I'm not sure why I'm talking about "finishing" it, rather just "playing". So the basic idea is that you can't load the game in order to play some part of the game again, but of course unless you plan to leave the game running 24/7 you'll have to save when exiting sessions and load when starting a new session. That though does not mean that if you make a mistake then it would be alright to quit the game without saving and then continue from the previous save.

So far it has been a lot of fun. Just the 3rd mission I was playing went totally haywire in the very start of the mission when retrieving a downed cruiser. Two gill men equippied with sonic pistols were located north east from the triton so they could shoot directly at the craftdoors. I tried to extract some units and one of the aquanauts was using a hydrojet cannon... And when I set him to autoshoot at the gill men he actually shot at the triton with phosphorous rounds. So one of the gillmen shot 3 aquanauts as they were exiting the triton.. Managed to take those gillmen out with GCs and throwing some magna-blast grenades.. Only to find out that after ending the turn from south-west direction a gillman would approach to throw a sonic pulser, but one aquanaut on guard reacted to the throw and shot the gillman, but died after the pulser went off. So I was down to 2 aquanauts, and used them to recover items from some of the dead gillmen (There were total 5 dead gillmen in the process, the description doesn't include everything), but once I was retrieving artifacts from the 4th gillman corpse the aquanaut got shot by some unit. So down to 1 aquanaut. I had to abort the mission with a negative rating, but selling the artifacts made 400.000 and so allowed recruiting 10 fresh new aquanauts.

So what would normally be a nobrainer with save/load turned out to be complete disaster. And it was also a lot more fun. Or that's what I think anyway. ^_^

I was thinking that if I manage to record this somehow could try and upload a video sequence on youtube with gameplay. Not that the gameplay itself would be something special, but why not. And so with post I'm actually suggesting TFTD without saving, and maybe streaming or something? Anyone up to doing that? Could be interesting ^_^

Interesting concept. I can't speak specifically for this game, however, I do know that reloading a saved game does change various aspects. So yes, it would be interesting to see someone play this game on superhuman from start to finish without saving and reloading.

You could approach this challenge from the other direction: save as often and as frequently as you wish but never reload to correct any mistakes. In fact save after any mistake. If you limit your saves to just one slot, that will effectively make every mistake permanent.

I'd still recommend a separate periodic save in the Geoscape in the event you run into a bug that might cause the game to crash after scheduled events. This sort of bug could completely sink a no-save marathon run. Imagine how annoying it would be to have the game suddenly crash after playing non-stop for half a day without saves.

If you want to a do a Let's Play of this, by all means do. We'll be more than happy to cheer and jeer with you and offer gratuitous advice. wink.png Even if you don't, do take up the challenge. It's quite fun and forces you to learn to play the game better.

Come to think of it, you might be interested in checking out Neptunenook's TFTD Let's Play as a bit of an example. Check the discussion thread in the pinned topics. Far as I can remember, saves weren't abused to correct mistakes, and viewer submitted avatars died lots. Lots.

- NKF

You could approach this challenge from the other direction: save as often and as frequently as you wish but never reload to correct any mistakes. In fact save after any mistake. If you limit your saves to just one slot, that will effectively make every mistake permanent.

I'd still recommend a separate periodic save in the Geoscape in the event you run into a bug that might cause the game to crash after scheduled events. This sort of bug could completely sink a no-save marathon run. Imagine how annoying it would be to have the game suddenly crash after playing non-stop for half a day without saves.

If you want to a do a Let's Play of this, by all means do. We'll be more than happy to cheer and jeer with you and offer gratuitous advice. wink.png Even if you don't, do take up the challenge. It's quite fun and forces you to learn to play the game better.

Come to think of it, you might be interested in checking out Neptunenook's TFTD Let's Play as a bit of an example. Check the discussion thread in the pinned topics. Far as I can remember, saves weren't abused to correct mistakes, and viewer submitted avatars died lots. Lots.

- NKF

Oh the crash bug point is pretty important I didn't think about that.. And actually I did just notice Neptunenook's pinned thread right after making this post (Too bad I didn't notice it before posting), and already watched the first video, and probably gonna watch more eventually, so yeah, he seems to be doing similar stuff already ^_^

So what would normally be a nobrainer with save/load turned out to be complete disaster. And it was also a lot more fun. Or that's what I think anyway. ^_^

My playthrough was quite ugly at times (and it was only on Veteran), but It's the only "proper" way to play X-Com if you ask me, not having that reload security blanket makes for a much better game.

I was thinking that if I manage to record this somehow could try and upload a video sequence on youtube with gameplay.

Go for it!

I agree, the only way to play XCom series games is not to reload. The great thing about these games is how easily everything can go south. It's a great challenge to have to recover and rebuild from a disaster, to actually have to abort missions that go pear-shaped, instead of just reloading and trying again. To me I think it adds greatly to the immersion and sense of realism that is so great about these games.

Good luck with the play-through and if you want some cannon fodder recruit called "Spike", be my guest! :-)

I tried recording a couple of game sessions, I have no idea how to do streams.. But the program I'm using is CamStudio, and it defaults to storing videos in AVI format. So the 1st session I tried to do the file didn't work, you got this error "failed to save audio file" so I looked up what's going on there's a filesize limit of 2GB for AVI files, did another session, which turned out ok, except that sound quality was horrible you got static in the background and I'm not sure why that is, but I changed some settings, upped the audio quality to 44khz and reduced mic volume, muted aux and line in from control panel.. And then did this 3rd session. But his time I had already done a couple of videos, had to stop recording and start a new video to avoid hitting the 2GB mark, but what happened was that I Was 1.6GB and then suddenly the size doubled to 3.3 GB and so the video file didn't work.. So I abandonded the session although it was going alright.

So now I've to figure out a better way of recording this stuff than CamStudio. Do you have any suggestion? I'm gonna try and look this stuff up from google. There's this other software called bandicam but that allows only like 10 minute videos. I wonder if you could do something like an automatic clipping of the recording session into smaller files ( I don't even understand why it's not the standard mode for CamStudio, if every +2GB recording fails automatically. I guess they didn't bother with it ).

So.. Unfortunately the sessions so far went to waste. And I don't actually have a webcam to make the video more personal.. Maybe I should get that too. I don't know. Live streaming would be cool though, like twitch.tv, gotta look into how that works.. But I think it involves some kind of $cost$. Any suggestion? ^_^

You are wrong on 2GB AVI size limit. I'm betting you are saving on FAT32 partition which has 2GB file size limit. Format it to NTFS.

For streaming you have few free options: OBS - you can ask Nook here how he does streaming. He did one or two in the past. Or you can use Nvidia / AMD software (depending on which GPU you are working). For Nvidia it's Shadowplay and for AMD is Raptr or Gaming Evolved - it's basically the same, but Raptr is sort of standalone and Gaming Evolved is build in Catalyst package. Your just assign you twitch account and you are good to go. The advantage of those software's is that they already compress the video on GPU level using H.264 codec so the recorded file is already small and the quality is good enough. Unless you are quality junkie like some people are and are using software's like for example Dxtory. There are other free options, but you will have to google for them and choose what you like the best.

I don't know how popular you are, but streaming does require having some quality of audience and speaking of people here at SC you probably won't find many if at all to have time and watch streams.

Also if I'm not mistaken twitch is free. Same as Youtube gaming which has launched few days ago.

You are wrong on 2GB AVI size limit. I'm betting you are saving on FAT32 partition which has 2GB file size limit. Format it to NTFS.

I'm not saving it on NTFS.. err FAT32 I mean ^_^ and the sizelimit information came from CamStudio Help Forum. If you'd like to check this thread out:

https://camstudio.org...copy-audio-file

All of the webpages I've opened so far have claimed there to be a 2 gigabyte filesize limit. Definitely it's not about FAT32, but it's still possible it's not exactly the AVI format that's causing the limitation, although many people are claiming that to be the case, it could be specific to CamStudio possibly. I don't have a reliable answer to this puzzle.

For streaming you have few free options: OBS - you can ask Nook here how he does streaming. He did one or two in the past. Or you can use Nvidia / AMD software (depending on which GPU you are working). For Nvidia it's Shadowplay and for AMD is Raptr or Gaming Evolved - it's basically the same, but Raptr is sort of standalone and Gaming Evolved is build in Catalyst package. Your just assign you twitch account and you are good to go. The advantage of those software's is that they already compress the video on GPU level using H.264 codec so the recorded file is already small and the quality is good enough. Unless you are quality junkie like some people are and are using software's like for example Dxtory. There are other free options, but you will have to google for them and choose what you like the best.

I don't know how popular you are, but streaming does require having some quality of audience and speaking of people here at SC you probably won't find many if at all to have time and watch streams.

Also if I'm not mistaken twitch is free. Same as Youtube gaming which has launched few days ago.

By coincidence I just downloaded the h264 codec and I think the 2GB filesize problem can be avoided using that, it seems compress 40 times more effectively than the CamStudio standard codec with the current settings. But that's not a direct comparison since the settings could make a difference.

I actually just did look up the twitch TV FAQ or guide for starting and also found the OBS software which is apparently completely free like you said, but the unfortunate part is that for some unknown reason I have windows XP.

OBS only supports newer versions of windows. Switching to Win7 would make sense, but I don't think I'm going to do that to get the streaming software to work. I'm not going to buy windows 7 (I'm not sure if it's even available for sale), and I don't like the license agreements in Windows10. But then I suppose I can't delude myself thinking I can keep using XP forever ^_^ Maybe I should upgrade all the hardware, this computer is from like 2008 or so..

I think you're probably right about streaming and audience, might be better just to do conventional youtube videos - whether or not anyone finds them interesting.. ^_^

All of the webpages I've opened so far have claimed there to be a 2 gigabyte filesize limit

Well then, tell FRAPS that it's 500GB RAW AVI files should not work. Also first google search: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/9919-File-limit-size-for-AVI-format. Says that there is no limit for AVI file size. It's yours outdated CamStudio.

Well then, tell FRAPS that it's 500GB RAW AVI files should not work. Also first google search: https://forum.videohe...for-AVI-format. Says that there is no limit for AVI file size. It's yours outdated CamStudio.

Yeah you maybe right about that, the whole issue seems a bit complicated to research properly.

Though even in the link you posted guy named "Beretta" is saying quote:

"Only an NTFS partition can handle files in excess of 4GB, and only OpenDML compliant .avi codecs can create files larger than 2GB. HuffYUV being an OpenDML codec I believe (I haven't researched it, but I've created .avi's of 5GB.)

If you want more info, try a google search on "OpenDML"."

After doing just as this Beretta dude is suggesting it appears that it's both true and false; AVI files used to be limited to 2GB but are not limited anymore. This link here is referring to OpenDML as "AVI 2.0" from which I get the impression that older AVI containers are limited to 2GB and these newer ones are not. So basically the impression that there's only type of AVI container is in itself incorrect, rather these older and newer AVI containers.

https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/469/~/file-size-limits-and-information-on-opendml-files

Here's also a quote from Wikipedia's page on AVI files:

"Most AVI files also use the file format extensions developed by the Matrox OpenDML group in February 1996. These files are supported by Microsoft, and are unofficially called "AVI 2.0"."

So it appears to be the case that CamStudio for some reason is not using this AVI 2.0 thing, however there's also the possibility that I'm not using a codec that OpenDML compliant, so maybe it's possible that with a different codec it would still work. But considering that CamStudio hasn't addressed this issue, it's probably the software... In either case it's not an FAT32 issue either ^_^

Alright I managed to upload a couple of videos, but I've to tell you, these videos are probably rather boring due to personality. I'm not a very interesting dude, and so well if you don't have anything better to do then maybe they might be.. Well they are not enjoyable. Anyway, the first video got audio off-sync and so it's pretty horrible, I'm not sure if the other two videos are any better but at least the audio seems to ok....

...In the meanwhile my channel also has 2 videos of one of my cats they're more interesting maybe. ^_^

So here's a couple videos ^_^

Clip 01 - Deleted these videos

Clip 02 - Deleted these videos

Clip 03 - Deleted these videos

Kept a couple of clips

I'm sorry I'm not much help for software, as Silencer said I use OBS but if it doesn't work for XP I'm not sure what other good free options there are.

I think you're probably right about streaming and audience, might be better just to do conventional youtube videos - whether or not anyone finds them interesting.. ^_^

Everybody has to start somewhere, a confidence booster for me is to go back and watch some favorite YouTubers' first few videos, I guarantee they are terrible. It's super awkward (especially early on) to sit and talk to yourself while playing a game, but once you do it for a while it starts to get more comfortable.

I'm far from any good so my suggestions may not be worth much, but I found that streaming on Twitch early on helped me the most. When you get 1 or 2 folks in the stream to talk to it makes it much more comfortable, plus, knowing someone is watching you makes it more enjoyable.

One more thing... you may want to check out https://openxcom.org/ Not only does it fix the bugs and have several game improving options, it also has an "ironman" mode. Basically it does exactly as you want and autosaves every once in a while (no manual saving)

If you jump to the very end on

I quickly run through the advanced options of Openxcom

Looking at the first ten or so minute of the first video and a few minutes of the third, I think the commentary is fine for a first attempt. Far better than what I could do at least. ;) The audio levels probably do need some adjustments as the game sound occasionally drowns out the commentary.

- NKF

Thanks for taking interest in the videos even though they're not of high enough quality to be presentable. The twitch concept seems good though, especially for the possibility of interactivity.. It is really akward to talk yourself when just recording something, but if it's more like a conversation then it might far less akward. But then still having XP is my fault, I don't have a license for windows 7 and the idea of buying it to use OBS or other streaming software seems a bit weird.. But then I suppose if I'd get new hardware altogether then it might be convenient to get a new OS. There does indeed seem to be a problem with the commentary volume, gotta try and figure out a solution to that problem too.. ^_^

I continued this campaign further and uploaded new videos as they came up. Some pretty severe mistakes have already occurred, like having to skip a site when triton was ill-equipped to deal with at night time, and in general there's been considerable losses on aquanauts. Additionally there were 2 recording mistakes, I accidentally overwrote clip number 10 with clip number 11, so the uploaded videos are actually missing one piece and the second mistake clip 12 didn't record the commentary for I actually forgot to turn the microphone on ^_^

And while it probably doesn't make any sense to actually all of them, I think I'll continue uploading the videos so that it contains the whole campaign, but then proceed to post/name only some of the video files.. Like there's 13 videos now and so out them all I think the only ones that might be somewhat enjoyable (but actually probably are not) are the following two:

Aliens attack Vladivostok (10)

Lobsterman Battleship (13) (Don't get hopes up with this one ^_^)

( Vladivostok is actually clip11 but the error occurred, CamStudio didn't even prompt for the overwrite)

You can normally post youtube videos here without using url code. Just don't use https change to http

Alright I changed them to http, I didn't even notice anything and am not sure if it makes any difference, or what difference it makes, but if there's a reason then why not ^_^

In anycase the Campaign came to a halt due to a devastating result and instead uploading all the videos I'm just gonna upload a couple of them, the biggest failures at least ^_^ So I omitted uploading the missions in between.

Lost Triton #2 Clip 15

Colony Raid Horrible Blundering. Clip 23

Colony Raid II. Devastating Failure, End of the Game. Clip 25

I think the videos are probably rather boring to watch and I seriously need to work on all aspects of making these things. Also cleaned up the channel and deleted all the other clips, since I don't think any sense person would watch them anyway. Maybe the remaining 5 videos are slightly more interesting than most of them were/are. I think I want to try this again though...Apparently audio went mysteriously off-sync, I think that's due to CamStudio somehow changing the video rate to capture frames every 50 milliseconds from 40 milliseconds..

Overall I think my problem in this Ironman style Campaign is that I get distracted and disorganized very easily, and make sloppy moves quickly and the quality of gameplay varies from turn to turn considerably, and while it's possible to survive with kind of style of playing when saving the game, Ironman style isn't that forgiving. I should check out OpenXcom like suggested too, but I'm mostly with this version so I don't know.. ^_^

You are a very brave commander assaulting a colony with soo many unarmoured Aquanauts! I've only watched bits and pieces of the vides but the #1 feedback from me is your voice is too quiet compared to the game Audio, many people are hesistant to put themselves out there but the voice over is VERY important to make videos more interesting.

I really like this challenge you have set for yourself with Ironman Superhuman and I may try something similar. Just a note, have you played with OpenXcom now that it supports TFTD? It has an Ironman mode you can enable to keep you honest and it fixes many of the games bugs while being very stable :)

Remove that additional parameter &feature=youtu.be it must be clean link to video. like http :// youtube com/watch?v=<video link> and only that.

Alright I removed the additional parameters. Is it just me or do you come accross as nagging a lot? ^_^

You are a very brave commander assaulting a colony with soo many unarmoured Aquanauts! I've only watched bits and pieces of the vides but the #1 feedback from me is your voice is too quiet compared to the game Audio, many people are hesistant to put themselves out there but the voice over is VERY important to make videos more interesting.

Yeah it's my first time playing X-COM via an ironman mode - although in this case it was self-enforced and I think I'm just not very good at it. Well I've not played TFTD all that much in the first place, but there are definitely strategical and tactical elements I'm mishandling. And I think you're also right about this audio thing, I think so myself too. It's also my personality..

I was reflecting upon this campaign and wondering what went wrong and how to improve.. First of all I noticed that I have a tendency to get almost schizophrenic while playing, and I think the mechanism is the same that's associated with negative stereotype threat i.e. Working Memory getting overloaded, in this case with a combination of a too high self-awareness and immersing oneself to the game. Basically I'm not systematically keeping track of what I'm doing this turn, what I'm doing next... What are the important parts, and at the same time I tend to get dragged by thoughts like "That sounded pretty bad", "I think I'm not really engaging in my commentary", "Wonder if this quietness and lack of confident edge comes accross as the equivalent of low social rank?"... And in addition I noticed having a pattern of low emotional affect, essentially being rather indifferent towards losing aquanauts and what not. This is though a bit different from actual schizophreny for schizophrenics only exhibit an outward appearance of low emotional affect. But I think there's some kind of a connection. Well I think you can see what I mean just by reading how I'm explaining this, I get into these very conceptual perspectives that are quite distant from the immediate subject matter, and it's a similar pattern that occurs in the process.

I think to myself that if I'm actually going to do this videos I should try to avoid just wasting everyone's time by being boring and distant and unengaged, but then I wouldn't want to seem pretentious and like I was trying really hard to the point that it's not at all authentic anymore.

Also I should try spend the time more effectively and try to increase intensity of the experience for the observer. The problem with that is that for the observer it's easier to just follow what happens and you don't need to think quite as much to keep track of things. So I think in that respect I might actually hit a barrier simply due to lack of sufficient fluid intelligence, as in order to maintain intensity or an enjoyable pace in the presentation I'd need to do all that thinking a lot faster.

On the positive side though as I have this problem of getting disorganized, I also think that it's possible to fix this problem, as in for disorganization is in itself rather inefficient towards time expenditure. So by succesfully maintaining a more organized routine of thought patterns it might be possible.

But then on the other hand my very basic character is rather contemplative and I tend sink into different kinds of thoughts quite a lot. It's also possible that my basic character is such that it makes it impossible to create an enjoyable video.

I really like this challenge you have set for yourself with Ironman Superhuman and I may try something similar. Just a note, have you played with OpenXcom now that it supports TFTD? It has an Ironman mode you can enable to keep you honest and it fixes many of the games bugs while being very stable smile.png

OpenXcom and the ironman feature was already brought up NeptunesNookGames on page 1 of this thread and well it's a good suggestion, I should probably try that. The only issue I have with it is that I watched this youtube video on openXcom and it had this zoomed out graphics setting.. And I got the feeling that it was kind ruining the mood of the game, even though it was more practical from the sense of utilizing a larger area of the screen. The menuoptions in the video also were a bit of a put-off... But then I didn't/don't really want to criticize the project for it seems like an awesome project, I wish I could do something like that even, and probably takes a lot of work and besides it probably divides people, what exactly is that you appreciate in X-COM TFTD.. At least for me it's more about the thematics and mood than it's about the tactical complexity of the game.. Although strategically it's also has a fairly incredible depth, given how the strategical grand campaign is entwined with the tactical progress of the game, so you've to solve non-linear over time optimization problems with co-dependent factors... Or plain terms;laboratory helps you to use superior weapons earlier and possibly increase ratio of income increase per misson versus losses, increased number of barracudas/bases/sonars allows you to encounter aliens more often and potentially increase amount of money gained, SWS systems allow increasing the lifespan of aquanauts... So what's best can be very difficult to solve (at least I clearly can't solve for the correct path with confidence), which often occurs in these types of problems. I suppose though that if I'd memorize/internalize the research tree that would make things a lot clearer, but I'm not sure I like that style of play in TFTD for I like the intuitive side of playing TFTD quite a lot, but I don't know, maybe that thought is not any good, I do get kind of technical too at times. I'm not sure if that point makes sense.

Well I've not played TFTD all that much in the first place, but there are definitely strategical and tactical elements I'm mishandling.

To be honest, when I saw the equipment layout right as you were starting the mission, I already saw it was bound for disaster :P. Assaulting an Alien Colony with Sonic Pistols and Magna-Blast Grenades?

Just out of curiousity, I did see you had Sonic Pulsers and Sonic Cannons as well as at least a few Aqua Armors, but you still had Aquanauts without armor and you brought along Pistols and Rifles too and why the Magna-Blast Grenades? Maybe you can take out Tasoths and Aquatoids with them, but on Stage 2 you'd be having hell against those Lobstermen.

On at least one of the Colony Missions you had M.C. Labs going, as you showed one of your Soldiers having M.C. Skill and M.C. Strength. Given the amount of Tasoths on Stage 1, why did you bring along soldiers weak in M.C.? You didn't have other soldiers available? Especially since from turn 20 onwards, the enemy becomes aware of all your aquanauts, including those that are susceptible to M.C.

And I think you're also right about this audio thing, I think so myself too. It's also my personality..

I was reflecting upon this campaign and wondering what went wrong and how to improve..

Have you considered to first make the video while you're playing the mission and adding the voice over later? You can review the video once or twice before actually adding any voice over. That way you can first concentrate on playing the mission and once you're done, you can concentrate on providing some interesting voice over.

To be honest, when I saw the equipment layout right as you were starting the mission, I already saw it was bound for disaster tongue.png. Assaulting an Alien Colony with Sonic Pistols and Magna-Blast Grenades?

Just out of curiousity, I did see you had Sonic Pulsers and Sonic Cannons as well as at least a few Aqua Armors, but you still had Aquanauts without armor and you brought along Pistols and Rifles too and why the Magna-Blast Grenades? Maybe you can take out Tasoths and Aquatoids with them, but on Stage 2 you'd be having hell against those Lobstermen.

To be specific it was supposed to be a "raid" on just the 1st floor of the colony, the idea was to grab some launchers and other items of value. In the first raid (AKA failure) the primary goal was to capture a live Tasoth (Which was successful - although otherwise the mission was a sloppy blunder, strangely though the live alien being captured did not turn up on the score screen.. So I thought that when I used the sonic rifle to "stun" the Tasoth (already hit once with thermal shock launcher) it must have received a fatal wound and then succumbed on the Triton floor, but when I looked at the research screen on the base the research was available)

The second raid was mostly about getting money to make stuff, I was pretty much running short on cash (Like, to make more ion armours, produce oscillators.. Which I didn't have the money for)

I think the difficulty of the 2nd floor is rather variable; Simply destroying the synomium device is possible (If you're lucky) without even encountering a single alien nor having Mag. Ion Armour, as church-like 2nd floor of the synomium facility is recognizable, and you can drop sonic pulsers to the zero floor using the elevators by making a hole on the 1st floor walls. But then you might want to capture some certain live aliens (and/or make money), which would require descending on the 0-floor.

This is all writing - And I don't feel too good about making excuses for playing poorly. Ironman is hard, I might not have the required abilities to finish the game in that style. I kind of feel like I can analyze the failure well, but that doesn't mean a better performance would follow after a succesful analysis.. Certainly I'm not an expert on TFTD currently ^_^

On at least one of the Colony Missions you had M.C. Labs going, as you showed one of your Soldiers having M.C. Skill and M.C. Strength. Given the amount of Tasoths on Stage 1, why did you bring along soldiers weak in M.C.? You didn't have other soldiers available? Especially since from turn 20 onwards, the enemy becomes aware of all your aquanauts, including those that are susceptible to M.C.

The reasons behind these are rather straightforward: I failed to keep an entire team of aquanauts alive, and was down to a handful. Ironman gamepla is rather unforgiving.... So basically it was the 1st mission for 80% Of the aquanauts present. Anyway before the game ended I had uploaded pretty much every step of the campaign, but now that it failed I thought that there's no reason to keep most of the boring clips.. and so well..

Have you considered to first make the video while you're playing the mission and adding the voice over later? You can review the video once or twice before actually adding any voice over. That way you can first concentrate on playing the mission and once you're done, you can concentrate on providing some interesting voice over.

I think that's a good idea - and I did not think about that - if/when I try again, I definitely want to do at least one mission like that to see how it goes. Though currently I don't know how to do a voice over, I think googling will yield the means ^_^