XCOM the Board game? How about... Galaxy Defenders!

jgatkinsn

Hi,

I hope I'm posting this in the correct forum, since it is somewhat game related. I wanted to give a shout out to an excellent board game called Galaxy Defenders (https://www.galaxy-defenders.com). I had a blast playing it over my vacation with my 10 year old. It's a tactical squad based combat game where you are fighting off an alien invasion much like X-COM. Your units can "level" up, and you can play campaign or skirmish from the scenario guide. You get cool weapons that you can pick before each mission. The Alien A.I decks are very well done. The miniatures are awesome! The game publisher just released two new expansions this month for the game, so there is support for it. I even had a missing piece that they promptly replaced.

I know that Fantasy Flight officially released X-COM: The BoardGame, but I've seen quite a few reviews expressing disappointment at the lack of squad combat and that it was too abstract in the game. To me, that is what defines the X-COM in a big way is the squad based combat, so Galaxy Defenders feels like that to me. I encourage everyone to check it out.