Dangerous Space Voyage

Hello, all. Yesterday Into The Stars has been released into Early Access, and as a Kickstarter backer I was very anxious. It's a rouge like space voyage game, influenced by FTL, but on the other hand a little more different. How this new game presents? We will about to see, as the brave Strategy Core crew will be saving humanity from extinction.

Before we start. Let's meet the Captain of the ship. That is me. As the captain I can choose 4 specializations:

-Scientist: gives +5 to engineering to all crew members.

-Military Officer: gives +5 to command to all crew members.

-Entrepreneur: Trading deals are better

-Survivalist: Success rate of any mission is increased.

001.jpg

Of course I'll be taking the Survivalist, because I think this is the best option. Engineering and Command can be trained by performing missions, but if you fail at mission then no points gained and crew might die and still you can max skill and the bonus is useless then. But with Survivalist even with max skill there can be low chances of success. As for the Entrepreneur - there is not enough trading options at all, and even so I didn't find any useful at all.

So now you know the Captain. Now let's configure the ship. We have 1000 credits to spend and there is no point of saving for later. First we must choose the core systems:

Life Support:

002.jpg

Protein Sequencer:

003.jpg

Engine:

004.jpg

Those systems will constantly deplete resources so there is no point on being cheap. The most expensive takes the least of resources. Except the engine, but this one is the fastest and this also matters.

Next we choose exploration and mining devices.

Shuttle:

005.jpg

Mining Rig:

006.jpg

Shuttle is used for planetary missions or for deep space missions. The only difference in them is what resource and how much it uses on action. Don't pay attention to name. It's very solid pick. Uses the least resources and doesn't interfere with our fuel.

Mining Rig. Also in theory doesn't make any difference. But it's better to use least used resource and of course don't rely on more resource types.

Mining Probe. Mining probes are used to identify what resources planet has, because if it doesn't have what we are looking for there is no use for digging. If the pilot doesn't crashes the probe you can get some resources. Overall you will get more from mining and you will learn too what resources are there.

Last option are combat systems. Although you can go without them, I wouldn't recommend. We are chased by ruthless enemy that wants us erradicated, so it's good to have some teeth. In general the best weapons are the faster firing, because misses are plenty in early stage. As for shield there is no point in taking the best, since you will be able to deflect only few shots.

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

The rest of credits we will improve our storage capacity.

010.jpg

Now we need to take resources. Since we use Hydrogen the most, we will take lots of it. Magnesium we don't need that much for missions and the rest will be use for life support systems.

017.jpg

Finally we have to pick crew of 6 that will be performing different tasks.

First, the commander Space Voyager (or his wife :P if you have problems being a woman)

011.jpg

Second, first engineer Mr. Nook, who can also be a pilot if needed or miner.

012.jpg

Third, will be medical officer Zombie

013.jpg

Fourth, will be second engineer Hobbes (who also is a woman, but who cares right?)

014.jpg

Fifth, will be Veki, who also can be Pilot.

015.jpg

And finally the sixth member will be Jimmy.

016.jpg

With the ship and crew assembled we take off on our dangerous space voyage.

... Into The Space ...

Into the Stars. ;)

Fifth, will be Veki, who also can be Pilot.

015.jpg

That's definitely me. grin.gif

Aye, aye Sir.

All stations report ready for FTL jump. The board is green.

Jump in five, four, three, two, one, JUMP!

Captains Log - Day 1:

We have exited the hypersace, our destination is few sectors away. The Skorn are chasing us like mad hounds. Communications with all other Arks is lost, I must assume the worst. It looks like it is up to me to deliver this last 10k people to our new Homeworld after the Skorn almost erradicated entire human race. We don't have many resources for the entire trip, so we will have to scavenge nearby planets for more. We cannot stay long in one place or the Skorn will find us and destroy us without any second thoughts. There is a planet nearby. Let us what future await us. Full speed ahead.

018.jpg

Captains Log - Day 6:

We have made orbit on the first planet we saw. I've order Mr. Nook, Space Voyager and Veki to make a landing in the shuttle and find something we can use. Although not well trained Mr. Nook managed to land without any problems. On the surface Space Voyager reported 3 possible locations to visit. I've ordered to check that wreckage. There we have found some spare parts and some enhancements for our modules.

019.jpg

Next we needed to take some supplies. Although we haven't used that much since we left the hyperspace, you always need to take chance and restock. The first mining operation was unsuccessful. The drill has reached rough terrain. However the second mission was a success. We took everything we could and departed.

021.jpg

As we departed suddenly the civilians demanded more food. I had to send Space Voyager to quell this uprising. I know that our situation does not look bright, but if we keep together we might survive.

022.jpg

In the distance monitors detect some floating wreck. It looks like one of the Arks, we will have to check what has happened there.

Captains Log - Day 13:

I've received a report of hull breach in storage department. We are loosing resources fast. I've sent Hobbes to deal with it.

023.jpg

We've also reached the remains of Ark-8. I've sent Mr. Nook, Space Voyager and Veki again to investigate the wreckage. The team has reached the crew quarters and are detecting some life signals. I've ordered them to investigate. The team managed to rescue some of the survivors. They have also managed to find some alien tech. A new life support system, that is more efficient than the one we currently use. And although it uses hydrogen, we installed it. That means we don't need CO2 anymore. But we will keep it just in case. When we departed I've changed course 90 degrees to the east. There is a cluster of planets which we can investigate.

024.jpg

Captains Log - Day 17:

We have reports of some strange alien flu. The civilians are dying in rapid rate. I've sent Veki to investigate.

025.jpg

We've also been surprised by single Skorn ship. Battle alert people.

026.jpg

At first the crew was very incompetent. Many misses, but later they have picked up so they are slightly excused. We suffer minor damage and we have lost few civilians.

027.jpg

Captains Log - Day 23:

We've got a problem with waste hatch. I've send Hobbes to deal with it. We might lose few people due to sickness.

028.jpg

Captains Log - Day 24:

We have reached another planet. This time I'm sending Veki, Space Voyager and Zombie. I've received information about 3 interesting places. A place with a plague, earthquakes or a giant talking plant. All sounds nasty, but I think that talking plant might actually be friendly.

029.jpg

And in fact it was. Additionally we have found different mining rig. Cheaper in material use, but runs on hydrogen. It looks like we will be needing lots of hydrogen in the future.

Next we did some mining. In the first landing Veki managed to make a crash landing. That's not good. He can't make a second mistake. It looks like the planet was rich in Magnesium and Bio-Matter and some Hydrogen. We've made few good runs and had to move or the Skorn would get us.

030.jpg

When we departed, I've got a notification about Space Diarrhea. Zombie will take care of it. Shame we will lose some people because of it.

031.jpg

Captains Log - Day 28:

There is a fire in the engine room. And we are being attack by two Skorn ships at the same time. Blast it. I don't have spare engineer to fight the fire. Guess we will have to repair it after the battle.

032.jpg

We have won the battle and sustained some damage. Unfortunately the fire destroyed whole engines. Once Mr. Nook took care of the fire we had to use all of our spare parts to repair it. And if it wasn't enough Civilian Flooding occurred.

033.jpg

Captains Log - Day 37

We have reached another planet. Time to send the crew down. I've received three points of interests. Wild Beast, Dust Storm and Hermit. The Hermit options can't be that bad right?

034.jpg

It appears it can. The lone hermit ATE Veki. I mean how could this happen. There where 3 people how could the hermit eat whole person just like that.

A sad loss, but we have to move on. This planet although not so friendly is very rich in minerals. Fortunately we had plenty of time to do lots of mining.

035.jpg

Also when we departed a deadly flesh eating bacteria was killing civilians. I've sent Space Voyager to deal with it. Don't know why, probably as punishment for letting Veki being eaten.

037.jpg

Captains Log - Day 42:

We've been yet again attacked by the Skorn. A single ship shouldn't be a problem.

040.jpg

The battle was proceeding according to plan, but at the end the crew had to screw up. We've lost 91 civilians.

Captain's Log - Day 44:

We have rat infestation. Sending Zombie to deal with the problem.

041.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 47:

We have made orbit on another planet. Sending shuttle crew. Mr. Nook crash landed injuring the crew. I've received a report about three points of interest. Terrorist Attack, Feast and Crashed Shuttle. The feast should be best option. The people there should be in good mood to help us. We were handed another life support system. It uses CO2 in small quantities. We are good with the one we have, so the crew left it alone.

042.jpg

Our cargo bays were almost full, so we only made one mining excursion.

043.jpg

When we left, I've received a Labour Dispute report. Send Space Voyager to deal with it.

044.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 50:

We are ambushed by single Skorn ship. Had to pull Hobbes and Mr. Nook from sickbay. At this point the crew has enough experience to make this battle trivial.

Captain's Log - Day 51:

We have reached another planet. Shuttle team is sent. Although I think I should let some of them healed just in case. Mr. Nook crashed again, killing Space Voyager this time. Zombie took the command. He reported three points of interest. Alien Attraction, Refugees, Mystery Box. That mystery box does look tempting. We found new torpedo system. A little more damage with more loading time. At this point I'm not worried about accuracy, so we took it.

045.jpg

We still were almost full on supplies, but never say no to more.

046.jpg

When we left, the Protein Sequencer begun to malfunction. Hobbes was sent to investigate.

047.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 53:

We are ambushed by three enemy ships. This will be a tough battle, considering that Hobbes in on assignment we will be one man short for this. But Hobbes managed to quickly deal with the problem. Fortunately all enemy ships used the same weapon frequency so we had a chance to minimize damage with shields. But even with this, we have sustained heavy damage.

048.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 56:

We have a heating problem. Hobbes will deal with it.

049.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 60:

We are running out of the planets in nearby sector. We will have one more and we will have to decide whether to go through Sigma Sector or travel to the west.

050.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 62:

I had to wait for some of the crew to heal. Hobbes dealt with the leaking fuel. Zombie will be the commander for this mission. Three points of interest located. Alien Research, Hidden Cave, Fish Species. The Fish Species sounds odd enough. We have managed to rescue Jeffrey Reed. Another crew member will come in handy.

051.jpg

We've made also few resupply runs with the mine rig. And went off towards the last planet before heading to Sigma Sector.

052.jpg

As we left the orbit some resource thieves where reported. And what will they do with them? Zombie was sent do deal with the problem.

053.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 66:

Food poisoning reported. Ship's medic sent to investigate.

054.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 70:

We have orbited the last planet before making the final decision. Sending shuttle crew. Three points of interest. Distress call, Abduction and Sick Village. We took the Abduction site. Although initially sounded difficult, Jimmy managed to pull through.

055.jpg

This planet also was rich with Hydrogen, but did not have and bio-material. At least we will have lots of fuel for the trip.

056.jpg

When we left, I've noticed two more planets appeared on the horizon. I've decided to go only the one that is closer to the final destination. We have also detected another Ark wreck.

Captain's Log - Day 76:

Some strange alien growth was reported feeding on our resources. Sent Jeffrey to deal with it.

057.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 79:

We have docked near Ark-10. The team has reached engineering room. Things weren't looking that good, but I had faith in Jimmy. But Jimmy wasn't lucky this day as he was crushed by a metal beam. We've lost Jimmy (guess his X-COM fate caught up here too).

058.jpg

As we left the tragic wreck, a cryo-sleep chambers begun to malfunction, killing people. Hobbes was sent to deal with the problem.

059.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 83:

We have reached the last planet before heading to Sigma Sector. It's time for Jeffrey to be the commander. I have received thee points of interest. Crashed drone, Medical Supplies, River Crossing. I've decided to check the crossing. Unfortunately it was too dangerous. If only Space Voyager was alive.

060.jpg

Before leaving we've made big supply run on Hydrogen and Bio-matter. I should have dumped the CO2 as we will probably never use it again.

061.jpg

We have reached another planet. Time to send the crew down. I've received three points of interests. Wild Beast, Dust Storm and Hermit. The Hermit options can't be that bad right?

I have a bad feeling about this. wacko.png

034.jpg

It appears it can. The lone hermit ATE Veki. I mean how could this happen. There where 3 people how could the hermit eat whole person just like that.

WTH he ate me?! How did he do that? And what were those two wastes of space doing while I was being eaten? Enjoying the scenery?! angry.png

Oooooooohhh, this is the best I've ever looked! I don't mind finding the contact with my inner woman at all. I've always wanted to scream mice to death.

Judging from this start, it seems there is even less to do than in FTL... I hope I'm wrong but except for the actual travel that happens in 3D and is, well, something to do, you just assign people to roles. How wrong is this judgement?

Oooooooohhh, this is the best I've ever looked! I don't mind finding the contact with my inner woman at all. I've always wanted to scream mice to death.

Judging from this start, it seems there is even less to do than in FTL... I hope I'm wrong but except for the actual travel that happens in 3D and is, well, something to do, you just assign people to roles. How wrong is this judgement?

See, Silencer!? I'm being serverd as main course for hermits after-party and (s)he is concerned about broken nails and mascara. verymad.gif

J/K, NHF SV. wink.png

That depends. In general FTL is constant action, while ITS is action when you decide it is, except sneak attack. But overall there is less action than in FTL. I suggest at least watching one video.

See, Silencer!? I'm being serverd as main course for hermits after-party and (s)he is concerned about broken nails and mascara. verymad.gif\

Don't worry, Mr. Nook took care of this problem. Unfortunately.

When we left a contamination has been reported and Zombie was sent to deal with it. Now we will be flying through enemy zones of control.

062.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 87:

A street gang was formed. Jeffery had to deal with it.

063.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 88:

We have approached a trading vessel. Their trade offer was pretty weak and we didn't have room for the bio-matter anyway. After this encounter we have purged all nitrogen and some CO2 from stores.

064.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 90:

Attack of Fuzzy Raccoons - Zombie sent to deal with the problem.

065.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 91:

We have reached another planet - sending shuttle team. Initial report finds three points of interest. Rocket race, Recorded history, Primitive aliens. I felt ballsy for Rocket Race, but our chances were too low.

066.jpg

As usual after this, we begun mining.

067.jpg

As we we left orbit, a mysterious virus was reported. Well Mr. Nook it's your punishment.

068.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 93:

A single Skorn ship de-cloacked. Should be easy fight. That is if we had full crew.

069.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 98:

Another planet orbited. Shuttle team sent. Three points of interests. Lost Child, Monastery Defense, Gambling. We tried to help in the monastery, but failed. Lucky Mr. Nook got only injured.

070.jpg

Before leaving, hydrogen supplies were refilled. We are running low on bio-matter though.

071.jpg

When we left, a chemical leak caused toxic fumes to start killing civilians. Zombie was sent to deal with the problem.

072.jpg

Capain's Log - Day 100:

Again we are attacked by single Skorn ship, and again our crew is limited for short period of time.

073.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 105:

Another planet, another chance of gaining a crew member. Points of interests: Giant Odorous Pit, Deep Space Diplomacy, Religious Natives. Let's try to charm those natives.

074.jpg

Weill it looks like we have enough charm to get Kevin Campbell.

Also on this planet we get a chance to resupply our bio-matter.

075.jpg

After our mining we've got a civilian unrest. Jeffrey, deal with it.

076.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 109:

Hypothermia reported. Zombie sent to help the civilians.

077.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 110:

Three Skorn ships attack us. This will be brutal. On plus side they are all using the same frequency. And because of this, we have suffered only minor damage.

078.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 112:

We have made orbit on another planet. Team reports three points of interests: Strange Volcano, Disaperence, Subterranean Shelter. With Kevin I feel more ballsy, so let's try the Volcano.

079.jpg

Well it looks like we have another crew member, Jason Evans

And the results of mining:

080.jpg

Once we left, a drug dealers where reported. Drugs are bad, Well Jason, time to test you.

081.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 116:

We have been attacked be three Skorn ships, and I've received a report about Rabies. Jason you deal with Rabies, the rest fight the Skorn.

082.jpg

This was a true fierce battle. We've almost got destroyed. I had to order mid battle hull repairs. Good thing we had lots of scrap.

083.jpg

Captain's Log - Day: 118

We are attacked by single Skorn Ship - the crew is so experienced that this shouldn't be any problem.

084.jpg

Captain's Log - Day: 122

We have another waste leakage. Mr Nook, battle station.

085.jpg

Captain's Log - Day: 124

We have docked near the wreck of Ark-9. They have gone so far. The shuttle team had not any problems investigating it. When we left I've received another Hypothermia alert. Zombie - hop to it.

086.jpg

087.jpg

Captain's Log - Day: 129

We have another civilian problem and another Skorn scout caught us.

088.jpg

089.jpg

Captain's Log - Day: 136

We are under attack by two Skorn ships. Also rodents were spotted in engine room. Hobbes was sent to deal with them. In fight we sustained minor damage.

090.jpg

Catpain's Log - Day: 138

We have approached another planet - this might be the last planet before our final destination. The ground team reports 3 points of interest: Strange Beacon, Alien Gladiator Arena, Vehicle Wreckage. Let's see what is strange in this beacon. Just some minor upgrades.

091.jpg

Before reaching the planet I've dumped all the nitrogen and CO2. Let's fill our storage with Hydrogen and bio-matter and be set till the end of voyage.

092.jpg

As we left, we had another contamination alert.

093.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 141:

We have docked near the wreck of Ark-14. I've sent a team, but by mistake, I've assigned zombie as the commander. We've lost Kevin because of this. Damn

094.jpg

As we left, civilians demanded more food. The bastards don't know we are so close.

095.jpg

Radar have picked another planet nearby. This should be the last stop point.

Captain's Log - Day 144:

Another single Skout, they are getting desperate.

096.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 145:

Another Alien Virus Outbreak.

097.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 150:

Civilians have formed another gang - curse them all.

098.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 153:

Our final stop. Team reports three points of interest: Celebration, Broken Shields, Abandoned Bunker. Since we are almost home free, picking celebration is no brainer.

We have also filled as much as we could with Hydrogen and Bio-matter. We should be set until rest of the journey.

099.jpg

As we left, a protein sequencer malfunctioned. Hobbes get to it.

100.jpg

There is nothing stopping us from reaching Titus Nova now.

Captain's Log - Day 157:

Three Skorn ships de-cloacked - this must be their last effort to stop us. Let's show them that we humans are not easily beaten.

101.jpg

We have sustained some damage, but at least now we are home free.

Captain's Log - Day 162:

We've got fuel leak. Come on you bucket of bolts. Titus Nova is on the radar.

101.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 166:

There it is, Titus Nova in sight. And we've got fire in the engine room. Again!

103.jpg

104.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 173:

We've almost there and suddenly some civilians started to freak out. What is wrong with those people.

105.jpg

Captain's Log - Day 174:

We've made it. We have reached Titus Nova. We the last survivors have endured. The Skorn have retreated

106.jpg

You can't prolong the journey, because resources will run out and the sectors don't lose the wanted status, so you have to make route sort of straight. You could make a snake line but well I wouldn't recommend it.

In my test run I've also finished with the same time (2h) and used different path, so I wouldn't call it the shortest.