Take Two!

Thorondor

I'm in bit of a state of denial over the lack of bright yellow diving suits and fish bowl helmets.

- NKF

Agreed. Firaxis decided to move away from the Terror from the Deep and goes straight to Apocalypse. Which by the way is essentially what this is, just a different outlook. I took a week off while reviewing what we do know to express some thoughts.

Firstly, If you've ever played Command & Conquer you'll know what I mean.

If you play as NOD or the Soviet campaign, regardless of who you choose the sequels tell you that the GDI and the Allies won the war. Ok. Fine. Continuity, I get it.

They just flipped the script and said...blah blah despite your best efforts the aliens won yada yada. Now you're on offense before you were on defense. Good deal.

Secondly, is the title officially XCOM 2? They bothered naming the first game in the reboot as Enemy Unknown and the expansion Enemy Within. I guess it's just me, but I would have thought there would have been an emphasis on a title.

XCOM 2 - "New World Order"

XCOM 2 - "Serpent Tits"

XCOM 2 - "Screw TFTD"

XCOM 2 - "Where's my Popper?"

You know? Something.

Point 3

Subject Aliens

There was a crap load of great aliens between TFTD and Apoc. How many do you think we'll see from that era?

You might as well cancel out any alien from TFTD, and be surprised if you see one from Apocalypse. New reigns new rules.

-NoX

Firstly, I agree. Secondly, I agree. Point 3, I have no idea.

Personally I never liked the TFTD much, except Tentaculats. ;) So I'm happy we're staying on the ground. Perhaps I'd like a continuation of the story better, but a new twist on the same period is fine, too. As long as there are enough differences for a whole new game, which, it seems, will be so.

But the new situation is interesting. So, the aliens plan to coexist with us, at least for the time being. And gather us in ghettoes, for whatever (breeding?) purposes. They have not killed or eaten us (all at once). The most interesting thing is, we can and do communicate, aliens and us, so we're not that different. This could bring a great twist, like UFO:Afterlight did; some aliens could not be as comfortable with the whole plan and seek deeper relations with Humans (no, I'm NOT speaking of banging some good looking Muton lady), like, you know, actually think that we should be free and equal and have rights - and join XCOM.

The first title in the series already took the whole series down a new path to begin with - even more so with the official expansions. It starts off with something similar but it's now something very different. Happens all the time in comic books reboots. Got to roll with it as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Purists like myself will still grumble regardless. ;)

On a side note, this new mega city reminds of the Syndicate Wars intro with the civilians walking around in their own private Happyville when the reality around them is quite bleak and dystopian.

- NKF

Hate is such a bad word here. NKF thought he would get second TFTDish game, NoX does his usual thing:

Not TFTD/Apoc ? Boo hisss. Story twist? Boo hiss. Just named XCOM 2? Boo hisss. No TFTD/Apoc like aliens? Boo hisss. And you sort of joined the boo hiss train. So right here I can see a big disappointment flying with ricochets.

The first title in the series already took the whole series down a new path to begin with - even more so with the official expansions. It starts off with something similar but it's now something very different. Happens all the time in comic books reboots. Got to roll with it as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Purists like myself will still grumble regardless. ;)

- NKF

At least you can say, that each X-COM game is unique and played differently. What would be the point of having exactly same game over and over. You could argue that EU and TFTD are pretty much the same, but still you play TFTD and EU a bit differently.

Actually, NoX described the change as "Ok. Fine. Continuity, I get it." and "Good deal", which is incredibly positive compared to his usual statements, he he he!

NoX, sorry if I misunderstood.

No misunderstanding at all, in fact you read it correctly. I didn't have any malice at all when I wrote my comment. I simply made a few points and asked questions, that's what a journalist does. I haven't played the game, so I can't be very critical of gameplay as there is no demo out currently. I for one am glad they brought back the snakeman or "viper" as it’s named in this version. What surprises me is they've finally created the human/hybrid, knowing that it reminds me of the Tyrant from Resident Evil with mind control power is spine chilling. I'd rather contend with the local gang members in my neighborhood then to run into one of these things in a dark alleyway.

Also, I'm getting a little tired of having to justify my comments after each post I make because someone constantly misconstrues my words. I'm starting to think it's you who is the negative one. Try rereading what I wrote again, and unless you have tunnel vision you'd see I was actually praising the changes Firaxis had made.

-NoX

NKF thought he would get second TFTDish game,

Really? Was I? Well, if you say so, okay then. wink.png

On reflection of my initial comment, I was only trying to be light hearted. A wistful but otherwise flippant reaction to a deviation to the norm. If anyone's taken umbrage at that, then I wholeheartedly apologise for any misunderstanding, assumptions and arguments that it has caused.

In the mean time, I think I will keep any misgivings or genuine enthusiasm I have for the as yet untitled XCOM sequel to myself until it is published and will withdraw myself from this discussion. Nothing like hands on experience to get the old nitpick list started.

- NKF

DISCLAIMER : I'M CURRENTLY USING SUBJECTIVE MATTER AND IS OPINIONATED

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I'm not) but is there any animal class besides mammals that have tits (and by "tits" I mean milk producing organs)? Reptiles, Fish and Amphibians lay eggs. So snakes with mammalian breast is kind of a foolish unless the "Viper" is an alien human hybrid as well.

Would you "jump for joy" if they remade TFTD? Uh yeah dude, with the technology we have today in games an underwater variant would be awesome. The physics alone would be incredible. Besides, when are you going to see Tasoths, Lobstermen, Tentaculats and Deep Ones again? TFTD wasn't just a clone of the first game, it had it's own perks. The majority of aliens alone were inspired by HP Lovecraft, a storyline that was plausible and if it wasn't for TFTD I wouldn't even be here typing. It was the first X-COM game I played and the reason I feel in love with the series.

Bar none, Apocalypse was IMO the best of the series. I remember sitting down as a kid reading Computer Gaming World magazine and staring down at the pictures and was awed by how cool the armor looked, the fact I got to defend against aliens trying to control an entire city. The one photo that I remember the most is a group of 4 X-COM agents being blown up by a popper. I seem to be speaking for myself and a little bit for NKF but the fact is, yeah dude we don't mind if the reboot changes things here and there and stays true to the series. Then again, what if Firaxis decided to say "Hey guys, screw TBS, let's make a reboot of X-COM Enforcer." Would you be so quick to complain about changing directions if they made the series into a FPS?

-NoX

The Bureau was a colossal failure, check Steam and Meta Critic for example. If you enjoyed it, good shit. Since Alliance was an abortion you can't use that as a tax deduction and Enforcer was created by Microprose but at that point it was owned by Hasbro. Meaning, none of the people involved made the original or even had anything to do with the company that made the classics. So let me get this straight, you make several statements saying that NKF would just be happy with a remake of TFTD, and that I do what I do...which is voice my constructive opinion and observations. Yet you have the audacity to deflect my comments while posting;

At least you can say, that each X-COM game is unique and played differently. What would be the point of having exactly same game over and over. You could argue that EU and TFTD are pretty much the same, but still you play TFTD and EU a bit differently.

It looks like I'm the only one who is open minded about how they've changed the story and everything. Does every reboot must follow the original? Stop living in the past.

At this point I'm just wallbash.gif maybe...just maybe after enough times of bashing my skull into a brick wall, I'll use your logic.

-NoX

Correct me if I'm wrong, (I'm not) but is there any animal class besides mammals that have tits (and by "tits" I mean milk producing organs)? Reptiles, Fish and Amphibians lay eggs. So snakes with mammalian breast is kind of a foolish unless the "Viper" is an alien human hybrid as well.

Well, I don't like to judge aliens by Earthly standards. Snake with tits.. Niiice. ;) Anyway, if I would mind anything, it would be that aliens look so Earthly.

I guess whatever path the evolution on a distant planet takes, there would be similarities to life on Earth at least as far as the visuals go, but XCOM could take aliens further into alien. The originals were pretty bad as far as having a vision (imagination) of life on other planets goes. IMO. XCOM did go a bit further, but there is plenty left to go.

On another front, I liked Apoc the most, too. But mostly because the ability to play in RT, which enabled the player to play out a battle much, MUCH faster.