673 replies to this topic

#21 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 07:16 AM

Nice dissection. I actually watched the whole thing.

#22 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,553 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image

::

XCOM 2's procedurally generated maps are put under the lens over at IGN here.

#23 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:31 AM

IGN sure found a gold mine with the XCOM2 coverage... Or at least it seems so here, where bias towards X-COM is huge.

#24 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 06:53 AM

And there’s a lot of things to iron out when you destruct these things.

YEAH, like... BUILDINGS! Posted Image

#25 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,553 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:44 PM

Posted Image

Want to know why XCOM 2 had to be PC exclusive? IGN has the answers here.

#26 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Advent's false promise of a better life includes... fast food restaurants

Posted Image

As Twitted by 2K.

Also, learn about XCOM 2's exciting modding possibilities in this article over at IGN.

#27 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,553 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image

RPS' Rob Zacny tells us what he wants from XCOM 2.

#28 Matri

Matri

Official Love Nest Mascot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:29 PM

Nice. Hope I can afford to get it on launch day.
"Never be normal!" - Ron Stoppable

MechQuest. Get your mecha RPG fix.
Star Citizen.

#29 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostThorondor, on 08 June 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

Also, learn about XCOM 2's exciting modding possibilities in this article over at IGN.

Striking all the right cords. Really looking forward to this.

#30 NoXTheRoXStaR

NoXTheRoXStaR

RTS Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 07:33 AM

View PostNKF, on 03 June 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

I'm in bit of a state of denial over the lack of bright yellow diving suits and fish bowl helmets.

- NKF

Agreed. Firaxis decided to move away from the Terror from the Deep and goes straight to Apocalypse. Which by the way is essentially what this is, just a different outlook. I took a week off while reviewing what we do know to express some thoughts.

Firstly, If you've ever played Command & Conquer you'll know what I mean.

If you play as NOD or the Soviet campaign, regardless of who you choose the sequels tell you that the GDI and the Allies won the war. Ok. Fine. Continuity, I get it.

They just flipped the script and said...blah blah despite your best efforts the aliens won yada yada. Now you're on offense before you were on defense. Good deal.

Secondly, is the title officially XCOM 2? They bothered naming the first game in the reboot as Enemy Unknown and the expansion Enemy Within. I guess it's just me, but I would have thought there would have been an emphasis on a title.

XCOM 2 - "New World Order"
XCOM 2 - "Serpent Tits"
XCOM 2 - "Screw TFTD"
XCOM 2 - "Where's my Popper?"

You know? Something.

Point 3
Subject Aliens

There was a crap load of great aliens between TFTD and Apoc. How many do you think we'll see from that era?
You might as well cancel out any alien from TFTD, and be surprised if you see one from Apocalypse. New reigns new rules.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#31 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 08:34 AM

Firstly, I agree. Secondly, I agree. Point 3, I have no idea.

Personally I never liked the TFTD much, except Tentaculats. ;) So I'm happy we're staying on the ground. Perhaps I'd like a continuation of the story better, but a new twist on the same period is fine, too. As long as there are enough differences for a whole new game, which, it seems, will be so.

But the new situation is interesting. So, the aliens plan to coexist with us, at least for the time being. And gather us in ghettoes, for whatever (breeding?) purposes. They have not killed or eaten us (all at once). The most interesting thing is, we can and do communicate, aliens and us, so we're not that different. This could bring a great twist, like UFO:Afterlight did; some aliens could not be as comfortable with the whole plan and seek deeper relations with Humans (no, I'm NOT speaking of banging some good looking Muton lady), like, you know, actually think that we should be free and equal and have rights - and join XCOM.

#32 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 09:30 AM

It looks like I'm the only one who is open minded about how they've changed the story and everything. Does every reboot must follow the original? Stop living in the past.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#33 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:02 AM

So, nobody is actually saying how he/she hates what Firaxis is doing yet you are the only open-minded one in the thread?

#34 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:40 AM

The first title in the series already took the whole series down a new path to begin with - even more so with the official expansions. It starts off with something similar but it's now something very different. Happens all the time in comic books reboots. Got to roll with it as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Purists like myself will still grumble regardless. ;)

On a side note, this new mega city reminds of the Syndicate Wars intro with the civilians walking around in their own private Happyville when the reality around them is quite bleak and dystopian.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#35 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:47 AM

Hate is such a bad word here. NKF thought he would get second TFTDish game, NoX does his usual thing:
Not TFTD/Apoc ? Boo hisss. Story twist? Boo hiss. Just named XCOM 2? Boo hisss. No TFTD/Apoc like aliens? Boo hisss. And you sort of joined the boo hiss train. So right here I can see a big disappointment flying with ricochets.

View PostNKF, on 09 June 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

The first title in the series already took the whole series down a new path to begin with - even more so with the official expansions. It starts off with something similar but it's now something very different. Happens all the time in comic books reboots. Got to roll with it as sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Purists like myself will still grumble regardless. ;)
- NKF

At least you can say, that each X-COM game is unique and played differently. What would be the point of having exactly same game over and over. You could argue that EU and TFTD are pretty much the same, but still you play TFTD and EU a bit differently.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#36 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 11:22 AM

Actually, NoX described the change as "Ok. Fine. Continuity, I get it." and "Good deal", which is incredibly positive compared to his usual statements, he he he!

NoX, sorry if I misunderstood.

#37 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,553 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Posted Image

Come and meet XCOM 2's Ranger (well, the class profile) over at IGN here.

#38 NoXTheRoXStaR

NoXTheRoXStaR

RTS Connoisseur

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 06:00 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 09 June 2015 - 11:22 AM, said:

Actually, NoX described the change as "Ok. Fine. Continuity, I get it." and "Good deal", which is incredibly positive compared to his usual statements, he he he!

NoX, sorry if I misunderstood.

No misunderstanding at all, in fact you read it correctly. I didn't have any malice at all when I wrote my comment. I simply made a few points and asked questions, that's what a journalist does. I haven't played the game, so I can't be very critical of gameplay as there is no demo out currently. I for one am glad they brought back the snakeman or "viper" as it’s named in this version. What surprises me is they've finally created the human/hybrid, knowing that it reminds me of the Tyrant from Resident Evil with mind control power is spine chilling. I'd rather contend with the local gang members in my neighborhood then to run into one of these things in a dark alleyway.
Also, I'm getting a little tired of having to justify my comments after each post I make because someone constantly misconstrues my words. I'm starting to think it's you who is the negative one. Try rereading what I wrote again, and unless you have tunnel vision you'd see I was actually praising the changes Firaxis had made.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#39 JellyfishGreen

JellyfishGreen

Tentacle Pentacle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 June 2015 - 10:23 PM

Excited to see the Snakemen make a return!

snake-lady Vipers
...or Snakewomen. Equal opportunity employer!
The deadly Lobsterman threat was finally countered by melee combat with power tools. -ufopaedia.org

#40 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts

Posted 10 June 2015 - 09:54 AM

NKF thought he would get second TFTDish game,

Really? Was I? Well, if you say so, okay then. Posted Image

On reflection of my initial comment, I was only trying to be light hearted. A wistful but otherwise flippant reaction to a deviation to the norm. If anyone's taken umbrage at that, then I wholeheartedly apologise for any misunderstanding, assumptions and arguments that it has caused.

In the mean time, I think I will keep any misgivings or genuine enthusiasm I have for the as yet untitled XCOM sequel to myself until it is published and will withdraw myself from this discussion. Nothing like hands on experience to get the old nitpick list started.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users