Galactic Civilizations 3

Nookrium

I've never tried an AAR before but I thought it might be about time to try my hand at it, so here it goes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sf0EPI76Ac&list=PL3Hfqo2_KOleE5sXLb_rDgD-DTbSK-9C-

For this I'm playing Galactic Civilizations III, which if you're not familiar with the franchise is something like Civ in space. I'm playing on "tough" difficulty with a "large" galaxy and 8 other races plus minors.

To begin I've decided to start up a new race (called the Antarans of course!) We're good at making ships is sorta the path I'm hoping to take here, with a bit of help in research. I'm kinda thinking of going with large fleets of smaller ships, but we'll see how it goes. If anything it may help out a bit in the early game.

1civ.JPG

Quiet start but my first big mistake of the game, my initial colony ship met up with some pirates and got destroyed. This is why you shouldn't send them out alone, hopefully it won't set me back too far.

1colonyship.JPG

However, a bit of luck came my way as I was able to find 2 nearby nice planets, both close enough to my homeworld to share the shipyard. I quickly purchased 2 colony ships and sent them out that way.

1%2B2planet.JPG

A bit more teching up and scouting and we managed to come across some Humans, our first species to meet. No universal translator yet so we can't talk to them, but not a bad race to have as a neighbor.

1human.JPG

I finished up the episode grabbing one of those planets, a sentient one apparently.

1event.JPG

And that's it for episode #1, I'll try to keep up with these AAR's for each episode. Not quite Silencer material but I'll try to keep them somewhat entertaining wink.png

Time for part 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbVdBLb2y64&list=PL3Hfqo2_KOleE5sXLb_rDgD-DTbSK-9C-&index=2

After the colonization of that first planet last time I still need to use my ideology points, bring on the colony ship!

ideology.JPG

We also grabbed that planet next door, I REALLY wanted to choose the malevolent option, but I think the bonus research will pay off in the end. Which means both planets in the system are now research centers.colony.JPG

I decided to head towards "Universal Translator" so I could talk to the humans and perhaps trade a bit of tech.

Humans are dicks...

humans.JPG

If that wasn't enough, they went and grabbed the nearby colonizable planet. It's not a very good one, still not cool.

ridgid.JPG

We finally managed to throw our first starbase out which picked up 2 Durantium for us. Durantium = either an excellent factory building or a nice rail gun for a ship.

One of them with go on Antares for a factory, but the other goes onto our first ship, the Silencer...

silencer.JPG

I wasn't planning on needing a military so early, but the humans are an issue. I'm pretty sure a war will be breaking out soon and I needed something. I have a few of these in the queue for whenever that happens.

Oh yeah, my people love me...love.JPG

That's it for #2, a bit of expansion and stupid humans.

Part 3! The galaxy is about to become a much more crowded place...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNHNOPy8tN4

Here's the look of our quiet Human / Antaran only universe we begin with.

2begin.JPG

But before long we meet several new faces, now we're surrounded...

2Iridium.JPG

2Iconian.JPG

2Yor.JPG

After checking out the diplomacy screen I realize I'm not doing as well as I thought, time to build a military I guess.

2power.JPG

I have a decent military power (I read it wrong at first) but it's probably a good idea to keep a good sized fleet around since I'm looking pretty weak overall.

So we build our next ship, this time a size small. With a name like Space Voyager you were destined to have a ship named after you wink.png

2SV.JPG

I had plans of getting a few starbases out to grab the minerals that were nearby, but the AI was able to grab them pretty quick so I'm stuck with what I've got. I start moving my tech toward "Extreme Colonization" because there's a few nice nearby planets out there that I could scoop up with it, and having a bigger population should help out quite a bit.

Oh yeah, we had our first exciting combat against a few pirates.

2battle.JPG

Here is our galaxy view now at the end of this episode, way too crowded. Where's all the minor races?

2end.JPG

I don't want to be bearer of bad news or something, but you aren't expanding that fast. You're playing on tough level, you should be more interested in colonizing new worlds. It's turn 50+ and you have only few colonies. You should have more, much more. Iridium is mass sending constructors, that means he doesn't have access to any planets, so now he will be stealing those resources.

Part 4, let's extreme colonize!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMXKe9mS8PA

Lack of planets is quite an issue, but there are a few nice ones that require the tech "Extreme Colonization" in order to colonize still out there. So the plan is to grab that tech and quickly grab them. That should hopefully help pull us back into the power mix.

However, this isn't going to be good for anybody...

4blood.JPG

Anyways, I manage to get extreme colonization along with 3 colony ships out to grab 3 of those worlds, here's the first one to the right of our empire (the other 2 are near Werribee)

4extreme.JPG

Taking the Pragmatic choice on this one, it will allow me to grab a trait that gives 3 free constructor ships so I can get some starbases thrown out there.

4col1.JPG

I grabbed those other 2 planets shorty after, here's my ideology selections

4col2.JPG

4col3.JPG

I tool the Malevolent trait on that last one wrongly thinking the 10 points would be enough to get one in that tree, so it was a bit of a waste. Still, the bonus economy isn't bad, especially since I don't have a money focused planet yet.

For a confidence boost, we met the Thalan

4new.JPG

And they're doing even more terrible than I am!

4diplo.JPG

Really not a bad episode though, it's what I needed to stay in this game. 3 new colonies plus the starbases, I think the next focus should be to get some sort of military out there, if anything for a bit of defense.

• 1 year later...

You know, in retrospect. I think I should have added this to my Tropical Island games Top 10 list. Hey Nook, if you still read this topic, check out these modsI made years and years ago for GalCivs II.

Click here, Click here, and Click here. Fun little read from years ago. Sigh.

Read the discriptions and go download 2 Ultimate Edition and see how cool stuff was.

-n0x