Master of Stardrive

So this will be AAR dedicated to Stardrive 2. As in previous AAR I said, Stardrive 2 is different and heavily based on Master Of Orion 2. We still have the same races but a little modified and we have additional new race. Also instead of RTS system this game is mostly Turn Based, except for ship combat.

So let's meet again our contestants:

Cordazine Collective. Nothing special here changed.

001.jpg

United Federation or simply Humans. Nothing new except the Corrupt trait. 20% of tax income is wasted.

002.jpg

Pollops.

003.jpg

Chukk Affilitaion. Our new challenger. This race has trait of Subterranean which means they take more space from the planet.

004.jpg

Kulrathi.

005.jpg

Rayleh.

006.jpg

Draylock.

007.jpg

Opteris.

008.jpg

Vulfar.

009.jpg

Mostly the races remained the same with small refined changes. As for me, I'll be again playing as Humans, because humans are awesome, except that I will be changing few things. We don't need the smart trait (humans aren't that smart anyway). We will super ecofriendly. What is so good about ecology? In Stardrive 2 production produces pollution. Pollution is the negative effect and reduces the effectiveness of production. But if we don't have pollution the production can go full speed ahead. Also having lots of pollution may have also negative effect on planet and it's food output will be reduced. As for difficulty it will again Brutal and we will have very large galaxy. So let's start.

010.jpg

The start is similar to the Stardrive 1. We get starting exploration ship and colony ship. There are no starting prototypes so it's only 2 ships. And right from the start we are very lucky, because we have a very good looking planet in our solar system. Unlike in SD1, this time it's Earth and random planets. And Sol 1 is so good that only a fool would skip it.

011.jpg

Now the research. It is like you see very MOOish. We have few topics and from each topic we could can only take 1 tech. Unless you have creative trait (very expensive and not worth it), you will get all of the techs from current tier. But even if only get limited techs, you still can either steal it, trade it, or with assimilation trait / research, you could get something from planetary assault. Our first choice is to upgrade our manufacturing capability, because production is very key in every strategy game. We have two options, Rover bay or Xeno mine. Rover Bay gives flat +5 production and +1 for worker, while Xeno mine gets +3 per worker. While overall Xeno Mine is better, Rover Bay will win most of the time, and you still can get Xeno mine and have two upgrades.

012.jpg

Soldier production comes automaticaly and is also based on the max population limit devied by 2. So for 12 workers it will be 6 soldiers. There is also a change in the freighters. Freighters are there to transport only food, soldiers workers or trade. They act automatically for everything except soldiers. This means that you should make sure that your space is enemy free.

So enough of the basics, let's explore new galaxies. Also like in MOO2 we will be sometimes interrupted by Galaxy News Network.

013.jpg

Near our Sol system we found a little Space Station. It is run by Krazy Eddy, and we can buy crazy stuff. Not sure if I ever will make a purchase though.

014.jpg

Although we were lucky with initial planet, the nearby solar systems are pretty useless, which made me a little sad. Also after those turns we finally get our rover bay, so next on agenda was Aeroponic Farm. It's the similar way as with Rover Bay but more useful. Because of the flat bonus you don't need those farmers in the early stages of the colony.

Also after a while we have a first racial polling from the GNN.

015.jpg

And a first hero to hire. This one is pretty good and so it happens we can afford him. +20% production, yes please, +20% to research yes please. More production the more diverse races on the planet, yes please (+10% for every other species I think, so with 9 species and some minors it can be more than 100% production boost). Although the last one will come later when we start to conquer everything.

016.jpg

The other races are not the only threat in this galaxy, there are also pirates, old remnants drones and a new threat living crystals of some sorts. Those crystals are coming from some sort of location and will be pain in the ass. They will just come to destroy your freighter fleet or starbases until you will not find their spawning place.

017.jpg

When we finally got the Aeroponic farm it's time to boost our research, but instead of taking the obvious part of research lab, we will take a ship module that acts as a scanner and gives +5 research and since ships don't const maintenance if we have enough command points it's good option to make few and have a scout that gives research.

018.jpg

Next on GNN racial polling we have Draylock Council.

019.jpg

After the research module, we must invest a little in the navy. A first good tech to grab is plasma fuel cells. Having the ability to stay longer in hostile space can be beneficial. And also while we at it, we should start building our first ships. No point of building puny ships. I have developed 2 special frigate class ships.

Mr Nook Mk 1. Which is focused on energy weapons like lazors.

024.jpg

SV Mk 1. Which is armed with deadly missiles and artillery on the sides.

025.jpg

The prime role of SV class ship is to spearhead into the enemy lines and use it's powerful missiles and on the sides use that powerful artillery blasts. Mr Nook is about protecting the rear.

Time flies slow in this game or maybe the polling's are made very quickly. Here is another one about Pollops.

020.jpg

We also get a chance to hire a second leader, but this one is not that good and besides we don't have system that will make use of his skills.

021.jpg

After long time of scanning planets we still haven't found any other races. This started an event, that will reward us with money if we find someone. We also receive a report about this pink swirly portal and that death comes from it. Fortunately we build the fleet just in time to stop this wave of death. The reward for defeating this death was 500 BC which is not a small sum.

022.jpg

023.jpg

Don't worry, I rarely follow the plan I set. Since Mr. Nook is a little faster than SV, it will also be used as a "tank". That is if we will fight against normal civilizations and not drones.

Back to the space exploration. When we last left of, our territory looked like this:

026.jpg

Not very big with only 4 planets, but you live with what you get. I've also noticed that there is some moving anomaly near Sol system. Nothing biggy but 100 RP for free is always nice.

027.jpg

Also somewhere in space there was this asteroid to collect.

028.jpg

With the first fleet created we can go now destroy those remnants drones and maybe do some battle expeditions. Also another profiling.

029.jpg

After a long while we have finally made contact with the first alien Civilization, the Cordrazine. This fulfilled the quest and we have received 500BC. Also we did a little trade for the Fusion Power - because we need it with Fusion Engines and it so happenes that both techs are on same tier. Trading with AI is pretty difficult, specially on Brutal difficulty, because on base AI must have 70% better deal. Not to mention that AI can have greedy trait that further increases bad deals for us. I don't know why they made it so brutal for trading, because normally the player will generally not agree with the trade deals. And the AI here is so pompous, that if you don't do deal they are requesting, it will declare war in just few turns. Even the suppose the good ones Pollops will just go for it.

030.jpg

We also met the Cordazine just in time for racial polling.

031.jpg

Since we've met some aliens, time to mass produce some spies and maybe if we are lucky we will get some free techs. And also war. Not us, but two other races that we haven't met yet.

032.jpg

Currently known universe.

033.jpg

And another racial polling.

034.jpg

Before we start invading Cordrazine, there is one derelict ship we will visit, just because we can. And also while traveling through wormhole we landed in the Chukk territory.

035.jpg

The derelict ship was inhabitet by some space bugs. And neede to be destroyed. As a reward we get the location of the origin of the aliens and fusion carbine. In theory it should be stronger than laser rifle, but in practice it is uber shit. The location of the aliens origin is a little too far from our advancement plans, so we live it be until further notice.

We also meet the Draylock Council. All three currently races are neighbors, so that means our plans for expansion are pretty much set for quite a while.

036.jpg

And just when I was preparing for it anyway, I've got an offer that I couldn't refuse. They could come a little later, but still 500BC for free? Yes please.

038.jpg

And just in time for final polling.

039.jpg

Oh and as usual, the Chukk think they are so scary. They'll kiss SV's boots that's for sure.

040.jpg

Also the Rayleh have some bad prophets. I think they should realize that it will they who will die.

041.jpg

We also find some minor race. For now they are free to live on their own.

042.jpg

There is also another hero to recruit. 40% increase in production, yes please, thank you sir.

043.jpg

Soon after we meet, Space Rugs (I mean Bears). And it looks like the Rugs are fighting on two fronts.

044.jpg

They sure will.

In the last episode, we were left in the situation with 2 wars. The Chukk think they can be so smart and invade us and the forced war on the Cordrazine. Not that I wouldn't invade them anyway. Our forces are all ready to invade, but the Cordrazine sent one of their fleet, so we just wait and will counterattack.

045.jpg

Meanwhile we meet Vulfar. So only missing are the Pollops and it looks like, they are hiding deep between Raylah and Space Rugs Kulrathi.

046.jpg

The eradication of the Cordrazine fleet went so well, that they already sent peace treaty proposal. However the value of this deal was so low, that there wasn't any real profit in it. After the battle it looks like the Chukk have sent their invading force. However their fleet was so pathetic that our single Starbase destroyed them.

047.jpg

Once both threats were eliminated, our forces begun their journey to the Cordrazine controlled space. Our invasion begun in the Ngage system. There our fleet engaged with enemies starbase and fleet. The fleet went fast, the stargate focused on Mr. Nook Mk2. Being very agile Mr. Nook Mk2 more or less dodged more powerful shots from the mass drivers. But when SVs Mk2 closed the range, the base just crumbled. On the ground our forces just decimated the owls.

When we last left of, we had war with Cordrazine and the Chukk. We've started to push through the Cordrazine space and managed to capture their first colony:

048.jpg

Next we moved to the Arborg system where another clash of fleets occurred. Their fleet of course didn't make it.

When pushing further in, we also found the spawning place of those damn red crystals. As usual there has to be mad scientist somewhere

049.jpg

Our war effort against Cordrazine goes unhindered. I presume that Owlwooks will be soon liberated.

050.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our war with Cordrazine goes very smooth. In fact we are about to capture their homeworld.

051.jpg

The Chukk are still sending their pathetic fleet, but they can't pass our SVs Mk II.

After some time, in which majority took empire management we have finally beat the Cordrazine.

052.jpg

And now we need to show those Chukk guys our might boots (and SVs).

With Cordrazine out of the way, now it's time for the Chukk to pay the price. They thought they could just go and conquer us. It is they who will be conquered. Send the SVs and take no prisoners.

Meanwhile on the other part of the war, we have managed to accumulate enough espionage points to send a mole inside the Rayleh worlds. Spying is so badly done here that it's not worth playing with it. First you need to have spies to work on the espionage points. In the meantime enemy defensive spies can kill your spies. And even if you manage to send a mole, you will be lucky to get 1-2 techs from it. You can of course brute force the tech, but it will be known that it is you, and still you will have to send troops to do the mission. And of coruse spies aren't cheap to maintain.

053.jpg

Once the Chukk were beaten to a pulp, their leader decided to be funny again and propose a case fire treaty. Well my only response was: Keep those SVs rolling.

054.jpg

Also while in the Chukk space, we have met the Opteris. Now I'll have to decide who to attack next. Draylocks or the Opteris. But probably the next victim will choose himself. Or maybe we will fight both ?

056.jpg

During the travels our scientifc explorer studied one of the nebulas. What possible can we get from this discovery?

055.jpg

More speed of course. Free strategic speed upgrade is so nice.

057.jpg

In last episode we were about to conquer the Chukk. But first we've got to manage all those planets. We received a tread treaty from Opteris. Not very favorable for us, but what can you do and Vulfar asked about tech but their tolerance would made it only one side deal, so no deal. Same for Kulrathi. It's very annoying with all that influence and on hardest difficulty AI must have so much advantage in deals.

Also another nebula scanned, but for this we need to have some shields.

058.jpg

After few more turns the Chukk were no more. Not by our hand, but the Opteris. Since we are lacking new enemy to fight, why not test ourselves against the Opteris. We were already in the area.

059.jpg

060.jpg

For the war against Opteris we will now deploy SV Mk III and Nook Mk III. However later I've realized that SV Mk III is a terrible design. It has better firepower and all, but the new weapon just eats the ammunition and I forgot to check it. This makes SV Mk III a little less effective overall. Also our first major skirmish with the Opteris was utter failure. Looks like they pack same amount of firepower we do, but they were big in number.

061.jpg

Second skirmish was also a disaster, but nothing is lost and we will come back and take what should be ours.

Our galaxy at current stage.

062.jpg

Having suffered major loses in our fleets, the Opteris could make a move and took over one of the systems we have taken from the Chukk. But a retaliation fleet has been assembled and send to reclaim what has been lost. When our fleet arrived I've almost burned with shame of releasing SV Mk3. We had victory bud only by margin of luck. Most of the SVs just run out of ammo. But at least with this victory we've managed to create a spearhead into the Opteris space, since their most powerful fleet has been scrapped.

063.jpg

I'm a bit surprised you went for Opteris instead of Draylocks since Draylocks are in-between your empire.

Mind if I ask you a few questions about Stardrive 2 game mechanics?

1. Ship design - Is position of armor on ships (on the outside) important? Or it just adds HP to that side of the ship?

2. Ship design - Is it better to put all weapons or mix weapons and armor?

3. Diplomacy - How is tolerance working?

4. AI - If you colonize a lot of planets, AI players will complain (on easy difficult). Will that have negative impact on tolerance?

5. Minor races - Better to conquer them or leave them alone?

1. Well that's how armour should work no? It gives extra layer of protection for your internal stuff like guns.

2. I think that is depends on what you want with the ship. Generally kinetic weapons are stronger but require ammunition therefore you need to pack some ordinance. With energy weapons you don't need to worry about that.

3. Tolerance is this strange thing - every exchange costs certain amount of tolerance, go above and your population be mad at you. The amount of tolerance you can have is how friendly you are with other race and their additional traits. AI's will never trade I think if what you ask goes above their tolerance.

4. I think it should as the AI will like you less.

5. I think it's better to conquer them. Most don't give you anything special. And with that leader that gives more production per different race it's good to have all the possible races you can get.

And about that war. I needed a challenge. Don't worry about the Draylocks. They aren't safe too.

1. It works that way in real life. But is that modelled in the game? Or is just armor HP added to ship side HP and game tracks only that one number?

2. But is it better to put armor instead of weapons?

4. Did AI ever told you in your playthroughs that you shouldn't colonize so many planets?

Need a challenge - delare war on Draylocks too. Although that wouldn't be a challenge for you, IMO. I think war with Vulfar would. ;)

Can't say much since I'm ahead in the videos. In all due time.

1. I think it is modelled, just like in the first game.

2. Not really, more guns = more firepower = enemies die faster.

4. Yes, you should watch the videos ;)

::

In the last episode we were beaten by the Opteris main fleet and now we have returned with revenge. With one swift strike we've taken back Ghtning sector, except for one planet that I was too blind to notice. And we even stopped the invasion on the Protherhoo sector.

Our next destination was Chul, the homeworld of now enslaved Chukk. The Opteris managed to get another big fleet, but we will wait and face them if they dare to come. When they were near the Chular system, they suddenly decided to go back to their hive. Well good luck Sunny Jim, because we are going to intercept you and crush you like insects you are. Also in the meantime I'm gathering a fleet near the Draylock space, just to be sneakly double teamed by Vulfar and Rayleh. Wohoo, things are now getting serious. Come on vulfie boy, show me what you've got.

064.jpg

065.jpg

066.jpg

067.jpg

Oh and did I mention that we now have SV Mk. IV?

068.jpg

This was the prototype design later I've changed it to this.

069.jpg

And also after getting that Ionium armour, we can't forget about our Mr. Nook Mk IV. Now with blue lasers.

070.jpg

In the last episode we have finished with 3 front war. I've declared war on the Opteris and Vulfar with Rayleh declared war on me. At first our war effort with Opteris was weak, but now we are pushing them big time.

071.jpg

The Vulfar has sent a pitiful fleet on the Dello system, but our new ships just pulverized them. This wasn't even a combat. After their fleet has been decimated, I've moved to take Xares from the Vulfar. But in the long term it wasn't the planet to be defended. Dello was more precious. I've sort of wanted to wait for the Opteris campaign to finish, so with one side I could attack Vulfar and on second Rayleh.

The Vulfar instead of going back for Xares they've moved to Dello and managed to capture one planet, but my fleet was close enough to take it back. Few turns later they have decided to take Xares but I didn't care and meanwhile the Ralyeh send big fleet to Dello.

072.jpg

Although it looked scary and we have lost 1 ship, Rayleh fleet pretty much was scuttled.

Our war goes rather well, it almost doesn't feel that we are at war anyway. After recent defeat of Ralyeh fleet I've noticed some stationery fleet up from the Dello system. I've sent an invasion fleet and managed to capture one of the Vuflar planets. There was also a minor race. Now it belongs to our Imperium.

073.jpg

Also we need more action, so I've decided to invade the Draylocks. What could possible go wrong? Oh and I forgot to mention. The Vulfar and Ralyeh declared war on me only because, they've eliminated the Kulrathi.

074.jpg