Artefact site last alien

Veki

It seem I can't find the last alien in artefact site. I'm afraid it might be stuck in some wall where I can't reach it. Can someone take a look at my savegame and tell me when the bugger is hiding, please?

This is CE version of TFTD.

GAME_4.rar

Yes indeed, there is a Tasoth Soldier who spawned somewhere where it shouldn't. It is in the very north-west corner of the map, on L2 just above where Miguel Bonal is standing 3 tiles to the west and 5 to the north, most probably on (0,0,0) (not sure on this though, but it's a good guess). tongue.png

It's morale is 55 and dropped it's sonic cannon (no doubt because it panicked due to the death of it's friends). When I edited it to be under X-COM control, I checked the stats by clicking on the graphic and it says the unit name is: "Units in Entrance Tasoth Soldier". Not sure why it says that, but maybe it's useful to someone who mods TFTD someday. wink.png

Edit: I think this is the "rank" of the Tasoth Soldier - "Units in Entrance" is the rank, much like "Lieutenant" or "Able Seaman" is. Possibly the game is accessing a "glitch" rank in the language files. Dunno.

Edit 2: Yup, the game is accessing a rank of one past Captain in English2.dat (182 is Captain, 183 is "Units in Entrance"). Could be because the unit is now X-COM controlled.

- Zombie

I have a Question regarding the artifact sites. Is there a limit the game spits at you? I know at one point I was successful after completing 7 sites. I think I just took the game to T'leth and said screw it. I was kind of hoping that if I destroyed enough Synomium Devices it would lead to some story line twist or something. It didn't.

-NoX

The game will generate 10, then after that it just throws terror sites out.

Incidentally, Veki, are you using XComutil with this game? I'm mainly asking as some of its settings cause it to rearrange the units on the field. When it doesn't work right, it seems to cause units to end up in strange places.

- NKF

Yes indeed, there is a Tasoth Soldier who spawned somewhere where it shouldn't. It is in the very north-west corner of the map, on L2 just above where Miguel Bonal is standing 3 tiles to the west and 5 to the north, most probably on (0,0,0) (not sure on this though, but it's a good guess). tongue.png

Thanks a lot, Zombie. I used DPL, and destroyed that part of the map, but couldn't kill it. Can't even see it when I destroy all the tiles in the corner.

Any ides how I can kill it?

Incidentally, Veki, are you using XComutil with this game? I'm mainly asking as some of its settings cause it to rearrange the units on the field. When it doesn't work right, it seems to cause units to end up in strange places.

No, I'm not using XComutil nor any mods. It just CE version of TFDT installed from a CD image.

What might be important is the setup I'm running TFDT on. I have VirtualBox and Windows XP in virtual machine. TDFT is installed in it and run from it.

I do have some odd things in the game.

https://i.imgur.com/KwzgJiT.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/JiDtvmw.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/TjYR1kX.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/SM8YcaP.png

Thanks a lot, Zombie. I used DPL, and destroyed that part of the map, but couldn't kill it. Can't even see it when I destroy all the tiles in the corner.

Any ides how I can kill it?

Did you absolutely want the thing dead, or is alive ok? Here's the unitpos.dat file which I edited so that all the aliens are under X-COM control. If you end turn, you'll win the mission. tongue.pngunitpos.zip Just unzip that into your saved game folder and if asked to overwrite anything answer yes.

No, I'm not using XComutil nor any mods. It just CE version of TFDT installed from a CD image.

What might be important is the setup I'm running TFDT on. I have VirtualBox and Windows XP in virtual machine. TDFT is installed in it and run from it.

I do have some odd things in the game.

Can you maybe reinstall? wink.png

- Zombie

Thanks for the file. :)

Something strange happened, though.

In report I have 4 missing aquanauts and the stunned Hallucinoid is missing. I'm wondering if this will cause some bugs in game after I continue playing?

Also, no wonder I couldn't kill that alien, it's outside the map.

I tried reinstall and a clean install on a new XP virtual machine, same thing happened. I tried to install on Win 7 64, but game won't start.

It won't run in Windows 7 (Vista probably too) because Windows 7 does not support DirectDraw which CE version runs on. You will have to use Extender and switch to Direct3D to run on newer versions. Also I had a strange bug while playing my first test of Extender (because of the above reasons), which probably was caused by the CE version itself:

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/9867-tftd-extender/page__st__340#entry130504

So the only option for me was to start new game. You might want to send a save file to Tycho to check if he can do something with it - probably not.

You also might try this: https://steamcommunity.com/app/38400/discussions/0/648811670613303699 to use with Windows 7. But I don't know if it works or not.

• 1 year later...

I have a Question regarding the artifact sites. Is there a limit the game spits at you? I know at one point I was successful after completing 7 sites. I think I just took the game to T'leth and said screw it. I was kind of hoping that if I destroyed enough Synomium Devices it would lead to some story line twist or something. It didn't.

-NoX

The game will generate 10, then after that it just throws terror sites out.

- NKF

The limit is 12. After that Artefact Site is removed from the pool of Alien Surface Attacks types (the others being ship missions and standard terror attacks with submarines). But that's all.