Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

It's time for some more Xcom, and this time it's with OpenXcom. I'll be using a mod called UFO Redux which is built to be a sort of expansion to the original. I'm trying to avoid any spoilers so I'm pretty much going in blind, so I have a feeling lots of blood will be spilled.

I've made an intro video for the series here, just covering the basic setup and inviting recruits. I should have the first episode up here in a few days or so.

Mr Badger has already signed up to be the lucky one to step off the ramp first ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKOm0M5pWkc

My personal suggestion is that you throw BB's TFTD Helmet pack so the soldiers in power armour will pose like those in TFTD - it looks pretty cool, but don't know how it works with the redux If there are more armours.

Also you can sign me in.

What's the name of the mod?

Looks like you have lots of signups already, so I think I might just sit this one out to give other people a chance to die with shame. ;) That said, if you do have a little room left, I'd be honored to die alongside the other meatbags. biggrin.png

- Zombie

Me me me! Infirmary, please.

I think you didn't watch the video. No promotion through nurses.

Looks like you have lots of signups already, so I think I might just sit this one out to give other people a chance to die with shame. ;) That said, if you do have a little room left, I'd be honored to die alongside the other meatbags. biggrin.png

- Zombie

What are you talking about - there is plenty of room to die in X-COM.

What's the name of the mod?

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=1638.0

I gotta say, nice job Neptune! No real complaints other than you could have moved some of your team up to the ship to make throwing grenades easier. Would have liked to see that shotgun in action as well. Next time maybe. :)

A couple suggestions for soldier names: Neil deGrasse Tyson & Carl Sagan. I like/liked both better than Bill Nye. ;)

- Zombie

I gotta say, nice job Neptune! No real complaints other than you could have moved some of your team up to the ship to make throwing grenades easier. Would have liked to see that shotgun in action as well. Next time maybe. smile.png

A couple suggestions for soldier names: Neil deGrasse Tyson & Carl Sagan. I like/liked both better than Bill Nye. wink.png

- Zombie

I had a phase in my UFO campaign with several scientist names (before I started doing subscriber's names), the reason Bill Nye is special is because he was made on episode 3 of that series and managed to make it all the way to the end, my longest living Xcom soldier ever

I may end up throwing a few non subscriber names in the mix though, it adds a bit of fun seeing folks like Picard & Mulder out facing off against aliens :)

Ah, poor Badger, he's lying amongst the mushrooms now. Still it wasn't a bad run for a first mission on Superhuman.

Except for the odd quick tests, I haven't really played a proper X-Com game since Lobsterburgers, so haven't had a chance to try out OpenXCom, but does it have any options for an alternate UI? I'm just thinking that the resolution this game is being played at makes some of the traditional interface panels look a bit tiny like the Battlescape and Geoscape controls.

- NKF

does it have any options for an alternate UI? I'm just thinking that the resolution this game is being played at makes some of the traditional interface panels look a bit tiny like the Battlescape and Geoscape controls.

There's a few different settings I need to mess with, I kinda like the tiny panels but I know it's probably not everyones favorite. The geoscape especially needs a bit of resizing.

Next time I think Nook must remember about this:

lol, thanks Silencer

I had a phase in my UFO campaign with several scientist names (before I started doing subscriber's names), the reason Bill Nye is special is because he was made on episode 3 of that series and managed to make it all the way to the end, my longest living Xcom soldier ever

Great, now you spoiled it for me! Yeah, still watching the series. wink.png

I may end up throwing a few non subscriber names in the mix though, it adds a bit of fun seeing folks like Picard & Mulder out facing off against aliens smile.png

Make it so! grin.gif Btw, did you know the X-Files is coming back? Mulder and Scully reunion seen for the first time on Nook's OpenXcom! tongue.png

Edit: see, I knew there had to be a meme like this already!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/58199780.jpg

- Zombie

Great, now you spoiled it for me! Yeah, still watching the series. wink.png

lol, whoops!

Btw, did you know the X-Files is coming back? Mulder and Scully reunion seen for the first time on Nook's OpenXcom! tongue.png

I saw that a couple days ago, I can't wait!

1. Firing 0% acc? Please be more attentive.

2. I would like not to be made a suicide bomber..

1. During some of my OpenXcom testing I actually managed to hit a couple times with 0%, but I think those rifle shots from the skyranger may have been due to my own panic mode setting in

2. Hahahaha, that's funny... ;)

Friendly fire was your own worst enemy there Neptune. Glad I wasn't a part of that mission though, sipping beer back at base was nice! smile.png

- Zombie

I wouldn't get too comfortable, Zombie's name is on the roster for the next mission pirate.gif

Near complete wipeout of the team on the first terror mission? Seems like everything is going as planned. wink.png

That was a rather nasty early deployment of the Cyberdiscs though. Unusually high number of them too. If OpenXcom observes the same unit constraints as the originals, you'll probably not have met many Sectoids on that mission.

I'm not sure on the stats of all the new OpenXCom weapons, so can't comment on their effectiveness. However the classic High Explosives, Large Rockets and/or a Rocket Tank should continue to serve you well for those early Cyberdisc encounters. May want to grab some more of those.

The AP rounds for the heavy and auto cannons are better than rifle rounds. However this is Superhuman; you will need to pummel the Cyberdiscs a bit for them to be effective.

Also I see the statues from TFTD have finally been unloaded off the ships and are getting out and about. Or, chronologically, they get loaded up later to keep them away from those lunatics with the guns that go around blowing up random towns? ;)

- NKF

Near complete wipeout of the team on the first terror mission? Seems like everything is going as planned. wink.png

It feels just like old TftD times pinch.gif

I hadn't thought of the rocket tank, that may be a good idea... either that or loading up 5 or 6 heavy rocketteers. I need to figure something out though because I don't think I will be able to afford running away from next months terror site, fingers crossed it's Floaters...

I think most of it is already covered in the Youtube comments. But, when ever you get a free opportunity to sneak right up next to an alien and shoot at it point blank with full auto, it's probably best to take it rather than try to fire at it with single shots a few paces away.

It would have been nice to have the machine gun and shotgun on hand. The assault on the Large Scout assault would've been a good test for them.

- NKF

I think most of it is already covered in the Youtube comments. But, when ever you get a free opportunity to sneak right up next to an alien and shoot at it point blank with full auto, it's probably best to take it rather than try to fire at it with single shots a few paces away.

Agree totally. Normally a weapon will have a snap which take less TU than an auto. However, what happens if the snap only lightly wounds the alien... or worse yet, misses completely? Now you have to take another shot which automatically costs more TU than doing an auto shot in the first place. And, what happens if the second shot doesn't kill the alien? Reaction fire. And you don't want to play around with plasma, it hurts. A full-auto shot will probably hit twice per volley and when you are that close accuracy isn't that big of an issue. It all but eliminates alien reaction fire. wink.png

It would have been nice to have the machine gun and shotgun on hand. The assault on the Large Scout assault would've been a good test for them.

I was soooo hoping for a point-blank shotgun demonstration and it didn't happen. My assumption is that it would do tremendous damage, so this would be prime for UFO breaching duty. smile.png I've been playing Xenonauts lately and the shotgun is awesome to have when you are in close quarters combat. The machine gun is good too, but suffers in that it chews through TU like you wouldn't believe. :P

- Zombie