Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux


  • Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#81 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

    Captain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Poland

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:11 PM

You should take a look in the mod department:

http://www.strategyc...combo-mod-beta/
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#82 Hobbes

Hobbes

    Peace through superior hairdos!

  • Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Area 51

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:34 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM, said:

On the next episode I get the cultist researched but there's no info on them yet, do you have something planned for some info/story being put in there for them?

You didn't get any UFOPaedia article on them? Sounds like another bug.

Quote

I don't know how possible it would be but when TFTD comes out I think a mod that combined the two would be incredible.  Taking on both land and sea missions, having to use the correct weapons depending on whether it's above or below water, building both land & sea bases, Lobsters & Ethereals on the same missions Posted Image

For many this is the Holy Grail of XCom, but I don't think it will be possible to achieve this through a mod: it will require a specialized OpenXCom version.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#83 Nookrium

Nookrium

    Blaster Bomb Bait

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostHobbes, on 22 April 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

You didn't get any UFOPaedia article on them? Sounds like another bug.

Nope, I got nothing.   Is it supposed to lead to more research?  If it's just flavor can you send me a screen cap, and I'll just edit it in.

#84 Hobbes

Hobbes

    Peace through superior hairdos!

  • Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Area 51

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:55 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 22 April 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

Nope, I got nothing.   Is it supposed to lead to more research?  If it's just flavor can you send me a screen cap, and I'll just edit it in.

Yup, just tested it and for some insane reason it isn't working. Here's a screen cap until I fix this: https://dl.dropboxus...3/screen328.png

OK, just had it fixed and I'm going to upload a new version of Redux now. I'm also going to update it to the latest Nightly.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#85 NKF

NKF

    Mr. Badger in disguise

  • Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In my mind

Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

Just an after-thought on the mission: The widespread panic that occurred is a definitely fun game mechanic - especially when it's happening to the other side for a change. However I felt the cultists were panicking a bit early. At least, compared to what would normally happen with the aliens in a big TFTD superhuman mission. It was certainly amusing, but was that deliberate?

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#86 Hobbes

Hobbes

    Peace through superior hairdos!

  • Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Area 51

Posted 23 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

View PostNKF, on 23 April 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

Just an after-thought on the mission: The widespread panic that occurred is a definitely fun game mechanic - especially when it's happening to the other side for a change. However I felt the cultists were panicking a bit early. At least, compared to what would normally happen with the aliens in a big TFTD superhuman mission. It was certainly amusing, but was that deliberate?

- NKF

More or less. I kept the bravery of the cultists at 80 (the mercenaries have it at 100 to prevent mass panic) since they're not trained soldiers but rather religious zealots with guns, and they would be more prone to mass panicking (and also to have some chaos). However, in the video I also thought it may be a little too much so I might give their bravery a small nudge.

I can't remember if NeptunesNookGames had the 'Aliens Pick Up Dropped Weapons' option activated though, which lessens the effects of AI panicking. There's also another option to supress panic messages from enemy units which you can't see which would have worked nicely here.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#87 Nookrium

Nookrium

    Blaster Bomb Bait

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

I do have the aliens picking up weapons, It cost Silencer his life on an earlier episode because I forgot I had it on :)   Turning on the "suppress Panic msgs" might have helped keep the intimidating feeling of the mission, knowing half of them had dropped their guns definitely made it a bit easier.

Up next, we put the Minigun to the test...


#88 NKF

NKF

    Mr. Badger in disguise

  • Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In my mind

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:53 AM

This was definitely one of those times to have loaded up on more of the tried and true large rockets rather than experiment with the new equipment. You can't underestimate terror sites. I would also hazard a guess that not being able to do anything to the cyberdisc was part of Badger's frustration. Posted Image

The fate the tank experienced is quite a typical one. Had the Cyberdisc not got a drop on it, It would have been able to help deal with a few of those Cyberdiscs.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#89 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

    Resident Åsshole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Louis, Missouri (US of A)

Posted 24 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

Oh boy, another "Let's Play Video". Here we go again, let's take our astute knowledge of this game and ridicule Neptune of his gaming virginity. "What you SHOULD have done was this...blah blah *explanation* and NOW, after watching his failure, insert sage advice. Bravo.

You know....
Should have....
Here's a thought...

Would of, could of, should of

- Iguana-on-a-Stick
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#90 NKF

NKF

    Mr. Badger in disguise

  • Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In my mind

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:05 AM

Well, since we aren't able to watch the game play out in real-time, offering advice in hindsight is the best we can do.Then hope for the best it will help in future efforts. Besides, destructive criticism, bullying and ridiculing isn't worth the effort it takes to type out these days. Does nothing for your street credit either.

I suppose I could draw a bear if you think that would get my message across better. But that's just silly. Posted Image

In all seriousness, what would you prefer we do instead?

- NKF

edit:

On a funny note, I am actually inclined to try that...
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#91 Nookrium

Nookrium

    Blaster Bomb Bait

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostNKF, on 24 April 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

This was definitely one of those times to have loaded up on more of the tried and true large rockets rather than experiment with the new equipment. You can't underestimate terror sites. I would also hazard a guess that not being able to do anything to the cyberdisc was part of Badger's frustration. Posted Image

The fate the tank experienced is quite a typical one. Had the Cyberdisc not got a drop on it, It would have been able to help deal with a few of those Cyberdiscs.

- NKF
No need to worry about all that new equipment anymore, 1 RPG round took care of it quite easily ;)


View PostNoX, on 24 April 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

Oh boy, another "Let's Play Video". Here we go again, let's take our astute knowledge of this game and ridicule Neptune of his gaming virginity. "What you SHOULD have done was this...blah blah *explanation* and NOW, after watching his failure, insert sage advice. Bravo.

You know....
Should have....
Here's a thought...

Would of, could of, should of

- Iguana-on-a-Stick
I thought we talked about this last time, no commenting unless you can play nice...

#92 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

    Captain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Poland

Posted 24 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostNKF, on 24 April 2015 - 07:05 AM, said:

On a funny note, I am actually inclined to try that...

Please do.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#93 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

    Captain

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Poland

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

If you want to use early tanks it's best to enable enhanced tanks mod. For the cost of 12 soldiers they are very squishy. They still can be killed by cyberdiscs but at lower chance
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#94 Hobbes

Hobbes

    Peace through superior hairdos!

  • Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Area 51

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 24 April 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

If you want to use early tanks it's best to enable enhanced tanks mod. For the cost of 12 soldiers they are very squishy. They still can be killed by cyberdiscs but at lower chance

XComUtil's Enhanced tanks are already included in this mod, but you need for the necessary data disk to be generated during the Merc Base mission (there are 4 extra techs possible to recover during that mission but only 2-3 will be present each time the map is generated).
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#95 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

    Resident Åsshole

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. Louis, Missouri (US of A)

Posted 26 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 24 April 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

I thought we talked about this last time, no commenting unless you can play nice...

Uh, this wasn't an insult. I like how Hobbes and silencer blindly "liked" that comment. Derp.
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#96 Nookrium

Nookrium

    Blaster Bomb Bait

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

Next up, we visit the Southwest US and go snake huntin"



I'm thinking in the next few months I'll get 2 more bases out, one to cover S.America and the other in Antarctica that can reach S.Africa.  I'm wondering whether it would be wise to put one in Australia eventually or if I should just use the Darkstar the rest of the game to keep an eye on it.  It will still leave the North Pole and Pacific pretty much uncovered but I don't see much reason in watching those, unless I find a base nearby to farm off of.

#97 Hobbes

Hobbes

    Peace through superior hairdos!

  • Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Area 51

Posted 26 April 2015 - 10:35 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 26 April 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

It will still leave the North Pole and Pacific pretty much uncovered but I don't see much reason in watching those, unless I find a base nearby to farm off of.

Hmm... no comments Posted Image
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#98 Hobbes

Hobbes

    Peace through superior hairdos!

  • Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Area 51

Posted 27 April 2015 - 02:19 AM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 26 April 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

I'm thinking in the next few months I'll get 2 more bases out, one to cover S.America and the other in Antarctica that can reach S.Africa.  I'm wondering whether it would be wise to put one in Australia eventually or if I should just use the Darkstar the rest of the game to keep an eye on it.  It will still leave the North Pole and Pacific pretty much uncovered but I don't see much reason in watching those, unless I find a base nearby to farm off of.

Keep in mind that those power suits will be handy against plasma but they are as useful as starting armor against Chryssalids Posted Image
Everyone on the roster, prepare yourselves for possible zombification... Posted Image
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#99 NKF

NKF

    Mr. Badger in disguise

  • Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:In my mind

Posted 27 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

Since I said I would, here are my thoughts, recommendations, criticisms, and praise presented in abstract form:

bear.png

Interpret it as you will. That is all.Posted Image

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#100 Nookrium

Nookrium

    Blaster Bomb Bait

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Oklahoma

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:39 AM

View PostNKF, on 27 April 2015 - 03:07 AM, said:

Is that a Snakeman??   HAHAHAHA

View PostHobbes, on 27 April 2015 - 02:19 AM, said:

Keep in mind that those power suits will be handy against plasma but they are as useful as starting armor against Chryssalids Posted Image
Everyone on the roster, prepare yourselves for possible zombification... Posted Image
I'm terrified of a chrysallid meeting, especially with these starter weapons




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users