604 replies to this topic

#601 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

So my guy got shanked by a ninja Ethereal at the end. Oh well. Great job on completing the game. Looking forward to your Apocalypse run.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#602 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 30 October 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

A fittingly painful end...

Thanks again for sticking with me through this.  Please continue, I will need serious help for Apoc Posted Image

You're doing Apocalypse on your next Let's Play? Nice :D
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#603 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 12:14 AM

I don't know should I congratulate you on finishing it or not botching this up ;) Anyway GG. You've got point for the "group picture". And SV gets a point for floating in the entertainment room.

Strangely so, I've also been asked few times to do the Apocalypse. Since I've done AAR here in SC, and Apocaylpse is 100% easier than previous titles, I'm just wondering how should I enhance the playthrough to be more challenging. As you know my AAR used only human weapons up until Alien Dimension.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#604 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 31 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for your dedication in sharing this with us Neptune, and also thanks for not getting too flustered with my constant comments! It was for your own good though. Posted Image

I think your blaster bomb problems stemmed from placing the waypoints in a sawtooth zigzag configuration instead of a straight line down the center of a corridor. Always plan your route before you place the waypoints. Get your men out of the way is the primary concern. If the bomb would prematurely detonate due to drift, at least you would minimize your exposure to the blast. Alien bases are pretty easy to avoid most drift issues as the corridors are mostly 3 tiles wide. Plot your points smack dab in the middle and you are golden.

Advanced blaster tactics: move your blaster men farther into the base as more of it is explored and secured by your scouts. The closer they are to the action, the fewer waypoints they will need to use. Also, if there is an obstacle blocking your path of the bomb, blow it up first with a preemptive bomb. Not only will it clear the obstacle, but it may kill hidden aliens too. Posted Image

Anyhow, thanks again, it was a great ride. Please put my name down for your Apocalypse Let's Play, as I may not be able to due to a family emergency. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#605 jgatkinsn

jgatkinsn

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:08 PM

Great LP, Nook! Too bad I got mind controlled there and took some people out (JG) on that last mission, but at least you pulled it through after a rough start.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users