604 replies to this topic

#61 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:46 AM

What my advice has to do with alien standing next to the ramp and reaction fire with rocket launcher?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#62 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Some of the best lessons are indeed learned the hard way. Posted Image

I usually have someone further inside the Skyranger handle the rockets, to avoid this exact scenario. Or, particularly later with the Blaster launchers, have all the launchers unequipped and leave them on the equipment pile. If I need a launcher, I have someone grab it as they exit the ship. It has the advantage that the first guy off the Skyranger can immediately access a rocket launcher in case there's a welcoming party beside the ramp.

In OpenXcom, I'm thinking that strong characters could stow away the launchers in their packs and have their SMGs, grenades or knives at the ready instead.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#63 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

View PostNKF, on 17 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

In OpenXcom, I'm thinking that strong characters could stow away the launchers in their packs and have their SMGs, grenades or knives at the ready instead.

- NKF

Or get that Improved Tanks mod, and say "Screw you aliens".

#64 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:56 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 17 April 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

What my advice has to do with alien standing next to the ramp and reaction fire with rocket launcher?

Lol, Why did I ever listen!

View PostNKF, on 17 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

I usually have someone further inside the Skyranger handle the rockets, to avoid this exact scenario. Or, particularly later with the Blaster launchers, have all the launchers unequipped and leave them on the equipment pile. If I need a launcher, I have someone grab it as they exit the ship. It has the advantage that the first guy off the Skyranger can immediately access a rocket launcher in case there's a welcoming party beside the ramp.

I think the plan from now on is to face the rocketeers towards the wall for the 1st turn, that should curb any itchy trigger fingers.

I've never seen a blaster launcher reaction fire, I didn't even know it was possible.

#65 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

The skyranger crash site is a bit more involved than I expected...

#66 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 07:15 AM

It seems like that you're quite well protected against most of the conventional firearms thanks to the personal armour. Its their frag grenades that are giving you the most grief at the moment. And I'm guessing some cultists have plasma guns?

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#67 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

Snap shoting with sniper rifle like a pro, but seriously snipers should not be that close to combat.

#68 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:37 AM

With all that shooting going on and all... Where was I?!

#69 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:27 AM

There's a few plasma guns amongst them, and Space Voyager you're still in the cloning vat.

#70 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 20 April 2015 - 08:37 AM, said:

With all that shooting going on and all... Where was I?!

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 20 April 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

There's a few plasma guns amongst them, and Space Voyager you're still in the cloning vat.

To sum up - dead.

#71 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:42 AM

I'm dead so often... On the bright side - I'm always so fresh! :D

#72 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 10:55 AM

You could also say you are spending a bit extra quality time with the infirmary nurses. That is, as a jar of bio material that will eventually turn into your next clone. ;) You get stirred around with a wooden tongue depressor once in a while, so it has its perks.

- NKF

#73 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:14 PM

You were doing so well too, the UFO SV has fared far better than his TFTD counterpart. ;)

#74 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:42 AM

Part 11 - Finishing up the Cult Site.   (The song at the end is for you, Zombie)

#75 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,451 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Nicely done! Miniguns, RPGs etc, I'm liking this mod.

#76 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

The second half started well with some proper and effective use of both the rocket launcher and sniper rifle. Got some good results out of them. Attrition seemed to win out in the end once your ammo started to run down.

- NKF

#77 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

For a crash site, this looked like more advanced version of terror mission. And where was that evil Skyranger and why it hold 40 men.

And a question to Hobbes. Are you maybe planning something similar for TFTD once it's done?

#78 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 22 April 2015 - 07:37 AM, said:

For a crash site, this looked like more advanced version of terror mission. And where was that evil Skyranger and why it hold 40 men.

And a question to Hobbes. Are you maybe planning something similar for TFTD once it's done?

Maybe they were joined by their buddies in the ground, who knows? If you look carefully you'll see that nearly all cultists are civilians carrying guns. Or maybe it has to do with the absent Cultist leaders (NeptunesNookGames asked a very pertinent question: where are they?).

In any case, this mission is designed to surprise the player with something unexpected, but these kind of missions are rather infrequent when compared to the vanilla ones. I've originally considered adding this mission as a variant of a Terror Site but for it to work I'd have to remove the RPGs/Miniguns/AK47s and only use plasma weapons.

As for TFTD, I haven't planned anything yet but it may be possible to add more land missions other than terror sites. I just haven't thought about it yet.
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#79 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostHobbes, on 22 April 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

As for TFTD, I haven't planned anything yet but it may be possible to add more land missions other than terror sites. I just haven't thought about it yet.

More maps would be start.

#80 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 10:09 PM

View PostHobbes, on 22 April 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Maybe they were joined by their buddies in the ground, who knows? If you look carefully you'll see that nearly all cultists are civilians carrying guns. Or maybe it has to do with the absent Cultist leaders (NeptunesNookGames asked a very pertinent question: where are they?).

In any case, this mission is designed to surprise the player with something unexpected, but these kind of missions are rather infrequent when compared to the vanilla ones. I've originally considered adding this mission as a variant of a Terror Site but for it to work I'd have to remove the RPGs/Miniguns/AK47s and only use plasma weapons.

On the next episode I get the cultist researched but there's no info on them yet, do you have something planned for some info/story being put in there for them?

View Postsilencer_pl, on 22 April 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

More maps would be start.
I don't know how possible it would be but when TFTD comes out I think a mod that combined the two would be incredible.  Taking on both land and sea missions, having to use the correct weapons depending on whether it's above or below water, building both land & sea bases, Lobsters & Ethereals on the same missions :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users