604 replies to this topic

#21 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:43 AM

Near complete wipeout of the team on the first terror mission? Seems like everything is going as planned. Posted Image

That was a rather nasty early deployment of the Cyberdiscs though. Unusually high number of them too. If OpenXcom observes the same unit constraints as the originals, you'll probably not have met many Sectoids on that mission.

I'm not sure on the stats of all the new OpenXCom weapons, so can't comment on their effectiveness. However the classic High Explosives, Large Rockets and/or a Rocket Tank should continue to serve you well for those early Cyberdisc encounters. May want to grab some more of those.

The AP rounds for the heavy and auto cannons are better than rifle rounds. However this is Superhuman; you will need to pummel the Cyberdiscs a bit for them to be effective.

Also I see the statues from TFTD have finally been unloaded off the ships and are getting out and about. Or, chronologically, they get loaded up later to keep them away from those lunatics with the guns that go around blowing up random towns? ;)

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#22 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostNKF, on 03 April 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Near complete wipeout of the team on the first terror mission? Seems like everything is going as planned. Posted Image
It feels just like old TftD times Posted Image

I hadn't thought of the rocket tank, that may be a good idea... either that or loading up 5 or 6 heavy rocketteers.  I need to figure something out though because I don't think I will be able to afford running away from next months terror site, fingers crossed it's Floaters...

#23 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

Next up, we try to scrounge up some replacement weapons and hope a few easy small UFO's stop by

#24 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:52 PM

I think most of it is already covered in the Youtube comments. But, when ever you get a free opportunity to sneak right up next to an alien and shoot at it point blank with full auto, it's probably best to take it rather than try to fire at it with single shots a few paces away.

It would have been nice to have the machine gun and shotgun on hand. The assault on the Large Scout assault would've been a good test for them.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#25 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:23 AM

View PostNKF, on 04 April 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

I think most of it is already covered in the Youtube comments. But, when ever you get a free opportunity to sneak right up next to an alien and shoot at it point blank with full auto, it's probably best to take it rather than try to fire at it with single shots a few paces away.

Agree totally. Normally a weapon will have a snap which take less TU than an auto. However, what happens if the snap only lightly wounds the alien... or worse yet, misses completely? Now you have to take another shot which automatically costs more TU than doing an auto shot in the first place. And, what happens if the second shot doesn't kill the alien? Reaction fire. And you don't want to play around with plasma, it hurts. A full-auto shot will probably hit twice per volley and when you are that close accuracy isn't that big of an issue. It all but eliminates alien reaction fire. Posted Image

View PostNKF, on 04 April 2015 - 08:52 PM, said:

It would have been nice to have the machine gun and shotgun on hand. The assault on the Large Scout assault would've been a good test for them.

I was soooo hoping for a point-blank shotgun demonstration and it didn't happen. My assumption is that it would do tremendous damage, so this would be prime for UFO breaching duty. Posted Image I've been playing Xenonauts lately and the shotgun is awesome to have when you are in close quarters combat. The machine gun is good too, but suffers in that it chews through TU like you wouldn't believe. :P

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#26 Hobbes

Hobbes

Peace through superior hairdos!

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:29 AM

View PostNKF, on 03 April 2015 - 08:43 AM, said:

Also I see the statues from TFTD have finally been unloaded off the ships and are getting out and about. Or, chronologically, they get loaded up later to keep them away from those lunatics with the guns that go around blowing up random towns? Posted Image

In the near future you may encounter those statues inside ships during UFO missions Posted Image

And you can already have Port Attack missions...
Terrain Pack - 44 new terrains for the original game, using OpenXcom

My X-COM Fan Fictions: The Unknown Menace, Abyssal, Eulogy

#27 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostZombie, on 05 April 2015 - 01:23 AM, said:

I was soooo hoping for a point-blank shotgun demonstration and it didn't happen.
I haven't really put either of them to any sort of true test.  In my test runs I played around a little bit with them (the shotgun can be quite fun) but not enough to really get a good feel for them, they would probably both be pretty nice in close combat though, especially storming in the tight spaces in the UFOs.

View PostHobbes, on 05 April 2015 - 02:29 AM, said:

In the near future you may encounter those statues inside ships during UFO missions Posted Image

And you can already have Port Attack missions...
Is the Temple map (think that's what it's called) from Tftd in this mod?

#28 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:02 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 05 April 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Is the Temple map (think that's what it's called) from Tftd in this mod?

Yes, the original TFTD had 2 temple terrains (Atlantis and Mu), and both are present on this mod. Atlantis can be encountered on Desert missions while Mu can appear on Jungle missions (pictured below).

Posted Image

#29 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:09 PM

Speaking of maps, does / will OpenXcom support map sizes of TFTD?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:55 AM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 05 April 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

Speaking of maps, does / will OpenXcom support map sizes of TFTD?

How big do you want them? Posted Image
Spoiler

#31 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Now if all maps where the size of this ;)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

The last alien hunts will be fun. ;)

- NKF

#33 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,343 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

Yeah, years of life would be lost in battles. :D

#34 Hobbes

Hobbes

• Fan Fiction
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:50 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 06 April 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Now if all maps where the size of this Posted Image

It's completely possible. You just need to change the definitions of the ruleset and you could have nearly all the missions (UFOs, Terror Site, Alien Base, Cydonia) in 100x100 maps.

View PostNKF, on 06 April 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

The last alien hunts will be fun. Posted Image

View PostSpace Voyager, on 06 April 2015 - 07:13 AM, said:

Yeah, years of life would be lost in battles. Posted Image

You don't need to kill all the hostiles since that map is only used in a special mission on UFO Redux (check spoiler for details).

Spoiler

#35 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:31 PM

How about some more friendly fire?  I don't think I've murdered myself enough so far...

#36 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:17 AM

Both deaths could have been prevented though. With Hobbes, you could have just moved him back alongside the UFO and then fired the rocket. Or if you were still worried about friendly fire get a grenade relay going.

Didn't I say that Bill Nye sucks? Well, whatever, his death could have been prevented too. Walk to the South side of the door. He could have possibly triggered Rx fire, but the craft hull should make that difficult (or impossible). I would have strafed to the side, looking at the alien the alien the whole time just in case it fired. I'd much rather it shoot at the front where the armor rating is highest. Good riddance though, you have plenty of other willing meatshields ready to take his place. :D

Oh, and GO Zombie! :P

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#37 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:20 AM

View PostZombie, on 07 April 2015 - 12:17 AM, said:

Both deaths could have been prevented though. With Hobbes, you could have just moved him back alongside the UFO and then fired the rocket. Or if you were still worried about friendly fire get a grenade relay going.

The grenade relay would have been wiser looking back on it, I assumed an aimed shot wouldn't have been that far off.  At least he got the alien too Posted Image

View PostZombie, on 07 April 2015 - 12:17 AM, said:

Didn't I say that Bill Nye sucks? Well, whatever, his death could have been prevented too. Walk to the South side of the door. He could have possibly triggered Rx fire, but the craft hull should make that difficult (or impossible). I would have strafed to the side, looking at the alien the alien the whole time just in case it fired. I'd much rather it shoot at the front where the armor rating is highest. Good riddance though, you have plenty of other willing meatshields ready to take his place. Posted Image

You shouldn't say such things about Bill Nye!!!

I probably should have just dropped the stun grenade and let him take the shot (even though he had a terrible firing accuracy).  Oh well, he had really lousy stats. Posted Image

#38 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,475 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 07 April 2015 - 01:20 AM, said:

I probably should have just dropped the stun grenade and let him take the shot (even though he had a terrible firing accuracy).  Oh well, he had really lousy stats. Posted Image

If his FA was that bad, why give him a rifle? Give him the shotgun instead. Proberoo had a 117% chance to hit with an aimed shot, what a waste of FA. Give the shotguns to the guys with terrible FA and stats overall, use them as consumable cannon fodder/disposable meatshields. The long range shots is where FA plays a big role, give those soldiers the most accurate weapons (like sniper rifles or normal rifles) to maximize chance to hit. ;)

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#39 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:44 AM

View PostZombie, on 07 April 2015 - 03:22 AM, said:

If his FA was that bad, why give him a rifle? Give him the shotgun instead. Proberoo had a 117% chance to hit with an aimed shot, what a waste of FA. Give the shotguns to the guys with terrible FA and stats overall, use them as consumable cannon fodder/disposable meatshields. The long range shots is where FA plays a big role, give those soldiers the most accurate weapons (like sniper rifles or normal rifles) to maximize chance to hit. Posted Image

- Zombie

Actually... that's a good idea.  I have been putting the shotguns on the guys with high TU's thinking they would be the ones getting up close enough to use them, but when it comes to entering the ship (when they would mostly be used) I always wait anyways so they'd have plenty of time to get up there.

#40 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

Further on arming high firing accuracy soldiers with accurate weapons, they're also good for rocket launcher duty. The Rocket Launcher has the best aimed accuracy of the standard XCom weapons. It won't stop friendly fire, of course. ;)

- NKF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users