Let's Play OpenXcom: UFO Redux

Nookrium

Since I said I would, here are my thoughts, recommendations, criticisms, and praise presented in abstract form:

post-813-0-26670100-1430103921_thumb.png

That's quite an interesting way to express your ideas on the matter (I've even tried looking at the pic upside down to interpret it) wink.png

Unless you made Chryssalids fly, flying suits says "No" to them.

If Chryssalids could fly, would zombies fall down from the sky? Hmmm grin.gif

More smalls, and a news report!

I think I fixed the News Briefing pop ups but you may still not see the autopsy report popping up after you complete research. The research system is a bit tricky to change in that matter, but the completed topics will still be present on the UFOPedia.

In any case, those News Briefings only appear after researching alien corpses and there's about 12 of them, although I think they are a bit too long, so I'll split each one them into 2 separate briefs.

And guys, if you have any suggestions/features for UFO Redux, I'd love to hear them smile.png

More guns, more maps. Maybe Night vision goggles? Decreased cone of view to 35 degree?

Night vision goggles is interesting, it might take some of the terror out of night missions if too powerful though. I'm really liking all the new maps though, it helps add some variety especially in the early game when you are running small ufo missions all the time.

I realize the mercs kinda slipped by on my game, but I would like to see more of them... The cultist site was great, I want to do more of those :)

The new one is up... more Snakemen in the Americas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-8moCB_FE

More guns, more maps. Maybe Night vision goggles? Decreased cone of view to 35 degree?

The last two are impossible to achieve with the vanilla OpenXcom. There's already 44 additional maps, although I'm planning to add more in the future.

As for guns, there are the Mercenary weapons, which are upgraded conventional and there are also some human plasma weapons. What else would you like to see?

I realize the mercs kinda slipped by on my game, but I would like to see more of them... The cultist site was great, I want to do more of those smile.png

You just need to get a little lucky since they can reappear, although as time goes on they'll field better weapons and armor. And the same applies for the cultists.

Maybe you could add Anti-Material rifle. Only allow aimed shots if possible. Very heavy, but very powerful sniper rifle. Should be able to take down every standard alien. Mutons might have chance to survive. Mechanical units should also resist 1-2 shots. Only soldiers with 50-55 STR should be allowed to carry it without any penalty and I mean only the gun itself. Cost of fire would be like 75-85% TUs.

You could also try to combine Xenonauts and Long War approach of guns. For example you can't use alien guns, you need to manufacture your own and after having all those plasma techs,you could add a powerful gauss weapons

Maybe you could add Anti-Material rifle. Only allow aimed shots if possible. Very heavy, but very powerful sniper rifle. Should be able to take down every standard alien. Mutons might have chance to survive. Mechanical units should also resist 1-2 shots. Only soldiers with 50-55 STR should be allowed to carry it without any penalty and I mean only the gun itself. Cost of fire would be like 75-85% TUs.

There's an AM Rifle from another mod (XenoOperations) that I could use but I've refrained from adding it because I feel it is simply another version of the sniper rifle, and I wanted only unique stuff that fits well with the rest. Those stats make the weapon interesting but to drop single aliens like that you'd have to increase power a lot and make it closer to plasma weapons.

You could also try to combine Xenonauts and Long War approach of guns. For example you can't use alien guns, you need to manufacture your own and after having all those plasma techs,you could add a powerful gauss weapons

Already considered both. Too much changes from the original and adding an additional weapons tier would introduce massive changes to gameplay balance. I have added advanced alien races for the late game, because I wanted to replicate the feeling of fighting Mutons only with lasers, and a Gauss tier would completely change this.

Laser Rifle can one shot kill most aliens if it crits good. So I don't know if massive damage is required. Something in range 70-75AP should kill every normal alien except mutons, maybe Etheral too will survive.

Actually there's already the Omega Sniper Rifle, which is an upgraded conventional weapon, and deals 57 damage. That's almost as good as a Laser Rifle (60 damage). You should be able to recover a few on the first month unless the radar crew misses the Mercenary planes.

During that first round, since it had about 12 TUs left, you probably could have saved the tank by moving it onto the ramp. That would have given some room for the guys behind it to provide assistance. The Snakeman was likely out of time units by then so would not have reacted.

Also, assuming the research still follows some of the original rules, don't forget to do Alien Origins before you research that Sectoid Leader.

On a different note: Hobbes, how does the shotgun function in this? I can see that its effective range is short so accuracy gets better at close range. But how does the actual shot work? Are several bullets fired in a spread or is it just one bullet with a wide hit area?

- NKF

Maybe you shouldn't restrict mercenaries to first month? Small radar has very low chance of detecting things.

They are not restricted to the first month. When that Cultist mission popped up I initially thought that the mercenaries were back. The player can also use the Darkstar to improve radar coverage over the starting base.

Also, assuming the research still follows some of the original rules, don't forget to do Alien Origins before you research that Sectoid Leader.

There are some major changes but yeah, research Alien Origins before the Leader.

On a different note: Hobbes, how does the shotgun function in this? I can see that its effective range is short so accuracy gets better at close range. But how does the actual shot work? Are several bullets fired in a spread or is it just one bullet with a wide hit area?

- NKF

The shotguns fire several pellets in a spread. If you look carefully you may be able to see the individual pellets hitting the ground/units.

During that first round, since it had about 12 TUs left, you probably could have saved the tank by moving it onto the ramp. That would have given some room for the guys behind it to provide assistance. The Snakeman was likely out of time units by then so would not have reacted.

I assumed the smoke was going to provide enough cover to get him out of sight, at the time it seemed like it would be safer than moving outside the craft. Oh well, what's a half a million... pinch.gif

The swamp terrain looks pretty hectic to be fighting in. Interesting meld of the Arctic and forest terrains. It almost links the two terrains together. Say spring when the snow is melting.

- NKF

The swamp terrain looks pretty hectic to be fighting in. Interesting meld of the Arctic and forest terrains. It almost links the two terrains together. Say spring when the snow is melting.

- NKF

There are 2 of these terrains, Jungle Swamp and Forest Swamp. I also want to add Grassland, Steppe, Taiga and Tundra swamp versions when I have time.

And there has been a few discussions about how to add weather effects but that will not be implemented in the near future.

And there has been a few discussions about how to add weather effects but that will not be implemented in the near future.

That's interesting, just for visual effect or would it actually effect the play?

Random thunder that kills any unit standing in the tile tongue.png Striking a tree and we have explosion and fire wink.png

Lol, I can see it now... Your best soldier who has been around since the beginning of the game gets struck by lightning on Cydonia.