XCOM at 4K - how does it look.

Yesterday I had a little fun with new toys from the Omega drivers - the VSR (Virtual Super Resolution). What it does it can sort of upscale the resolution on you Full HD (1920x1080) monitor to run 3200x1800 resolution.

When you upscale to such resolution the desktop is hardly legible, but in games you can sort of experience the new trend that slowly emerges - the 4K resolution. Now everyone is excited about 4K, that the textures are way better than in FHD. Although XCOMs textures are pretty low because of the stupid console port, I just wanted to see how much better would it be to run in 3200x1800 resolution and since Youtube allows video in 4K resolution, here is a sample mission. The only drawback of posting 4K vidoes is that they have to be recorded / compressed in 30FPS, which leads to usual "choppiness" of that framerate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3wIFS6Swco

You probably won't notice any difference. The video was recorded in 3200x1800 using FRAPS and then encoded with Power Director using WMV preset in 3840 × 2160 resolution. So either if you are viewing in FHD or 4K you won't see any differences - but if you will run a video that was recorded and uploaded in FHD some minor details might be visible. For example here are 2 static images - all taken from the game.

3200x1800

XComEW%25202015-03-19%252008-27-27-04.jpg

1920x1080

XComEW%25202015-03-19%252008-28-25-67.jpg

Due to JPG compression you can see a little more sharpness - specially on the text on the garage signs

My first impression, is that while by itself 4K doesn't make the game look better, but it definitely makes it look more sharper.

BTW is anyone here, that has a native 4K monitor / TV and tried to play XCOM in that resolution ?