#21 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

Ah thanks, keep forgetting it.

The last mission will surely bring wrath of the X-COM Gods someday I know it. Day later after last mission, another small USO was detected over South America. It was shot down on the western coast and troops were sent. Again it were gill man and map with lots of obstacles. At first everything went fine, slow progression, killing every alien that came across, until that turn where Tods Conways luck run out and was killed by a gill man. I've sort of knew it that I won't be able to cover him with smoke but at least a small sacrifice to the Gods may save the future mission.

Posted Image

Or at least allowed us to finish mission without any further incidents.

Posted Image

At this rate I will have large quantity of Zrbite to dispose.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#22 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

The Gods are demanding sacrifice. On 12th of March a Large USO was detected. So the late Terror Mission has arrived. This time Canary Islands, but it wasn't through the UFO we detected though. And because the Gods are angry it will be night mission.

Right from the start after opening doors, a gill man was spotted, but Javier Gonzales killed him fast. . Rest of the troops exited, threw some lights and a smoke. On next turn we had a jump on alien further down south and one behind the Triton. The one behind the Triton had deployed small character shield as it was untouchable for this turn. Unfortunately by my mistake I let the scout of the gill man to the south exposed and he was sniped by other alien who jumped from the hill to the south-west.

Posted Image

On turn 3 Christel enters the hill bunker when as usual she finds an alien on the very end. Without any good TUs she moved backed a little. I thought she was done for but the deep one didn't care to exit and kill her. Bad choice for him. Gunter also on the same turn moved up the hill and spotted 3 more aliens. There were a couple of shoot out turns, where we lost one soldier.

Posted Image

The other half of the team went north up the hill after killing the alien behind the Triton. First went Uta Krause. While being on top of the hill, she spotted a deep one on the other side. Without any trouble she killed it. Next went Stefan Brehme to the North-East. He found a gill man near the other bunker hill. He then moved backed and Charlie Roberts took a pot shot from the hill. Because she didn't see him despite the flare, and the alien did not reaction fire back, Andrew Cook moved a level higher, but the alien now finally decided to shoot back and killed our officer in charge. The same thing happened to Uta. There was an alien further back to the east long past the range of the flare. She also was perfectly sniped. The alien from the bunker hill threw a grenade at Charlie, but it landed too far away to do some serious damage.

Posted Image

We were losing soldiers but for now the ratio was on our side. Stefan climbed the hill and threw a flare and found Uta's killer. He returned the favor without any problems. On next turn he also threw a grenade and killed the alien from the north-eastern bunker hill. For now the team had a little breathing room. The team split into 3 groups. One went to the east to check the bunker hills. Second went south and the third went to the north-west. It was there were Stefan was surprised while entering through the back entrance to the hotel. It was a place where I never would suspect to see an alien.

Posted Image

Seeing that the team of 2 that went north-west needs help, the team that went south changed course to the west. Gunther while approaching the hotel evaded few shots and killed an alien inside the hotel reception room. While the aliens were pre-occupied with Gunther, Charlie managed to sneak behind the hotel and threw a grenade at some poor aliens. At this point there weren't many aliens left and it took a while to finally find the last one. When we finally found the last alien, the Gods were a little pleased with the sacrifice.

Posted Image

#23 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

Auch, those bloodthirsty gods of X-COM are having a party, huh? Still, that is all good in TFTD...

#24 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:30 PM

Right so for now the Gods are satisfied. But it will not last long - it never does. Since SV was the only one to volunteer as next sacrifice er as a named soldier, I found the bravest soul out there. Well good luck, let's hope the Gods have mercy on you.

Posted Image

On 16th of March another small USO was detected near our base and was shot down somewhere over South Atlantic. On the next day, Triton was launched and the crew also received the "improved" gauss tank.

The mission generally went okish at start, but then once we were nearing the UFO, two fast deaths occurred. One sort of made on purpose. I wanted to see how lucky SV nr 1. will be. It proved not very lucky as the alien pretty sniped him. I normally wouldn't move towards the hole in the open but you know, sacrifices had to be made ;) And the second the alien felt a little ballsy more than usual and exited it hiding hole. But don't worry our cloning machine will be engaged and maybe SV II will be more lucky.

Posted Image
Posted Image

At least we have secured more Zrbite.

Posted Image

#25 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:28 AM

Since SV was the only one to volunteer as next sacrifice er as a named soldier,
Nook, reporting for duty!

#26 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:14 AM

Tycho, reporting for duty, sir!

#27 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:22 AM

EnKayEff reporting for bullet sponge duty, sah.

- NKF
NKF - finally built a gaming PC in 2020 (though not any of that RGB nonsense). Can now play games up to '89!

#28 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

It's funny how people start signing up when SV dies. Posted Image

Ok, count me in. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#29 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

Well put Zombie. OK you four, I'm sending you to boot camp. You will learn there how to eat, sleep, drink, fart and die like true X-COM soldier. And if you are asking if we teach you how to shoot, well then forget it. Shooting is something that you either have or don't, so better learn quick. You're active duty will begin on Monday.

Since SV I snuffed it, we take another sacrificial lamb I mean brave soul.

Posted Image

On 21st of March a new crew has arrived to second base. For now they are only on guard duty. We also detect a small USO over Brasil, however it escapes somewhere near Mexico gulf. On next day another USO is detected in same place, this time we take it down west of our base. The troops have been sent with sunrise.

The map is not volcanic this time, but with rocky formations. Soon as the tank exists the Triton he spots alien between the pillars. He received a nice torpedo to the back. Then a usual exit procedure was applied. The tank went south while most aquanauts went east. We have encountered lots of aliens in that direction. On most occasions we had upper hand on them. They have tried to retaliate but all the attack were in vain. And SV managed to even plant a grenade under 2 aliens. He also was promoted to Lieutenant. The Gods must have been sated for now since no gruesome deaths happened. But I'm guessing that they are planning something big.

Posted Image

#30 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 10:12 PM

The second base if almost being able to be defendable at least. New guns are being transferred and as soon the eggheads will learn how to use them, we will be able to perform some actions on the other side of the globe.

On 28th of March a very large USO was detected. Should have followed it. But it probably was on retaliation mission. Think they did not find us. On 30th of March another very large USO in same region was detected don't know if this was too on retaliation but after it went away a large one was detected. This one probably was for terror mission. And we have a port attack on Jamaica. So gear up and let's go.

We are still armed with gauss rifles, but thankfully we have gill man again. Right from the start we had a gill man and deep one on top of those towers and one gill man on the stairs. Further along there was another deep one behind the fence connected to a building and a gill man with vibro blade on the platform.

The team has managed to kill first three aliens on first turn. Moving out of the sub two new gill man were spotted. One on the top of the 3 stories high building the other in the fenced area just to the north of triton. The one behind the fence was pretty darn evasive at first, that is until Ted hit the barrel next to him and the explosion sent the gill man flying. And as our final move Victor sniped the alien on the third floor.

Posted Image

On alien turn another gill man has appeared beneath the platform, few shots and he was gone. Next we wanted to get rid of the deep one in the fenced area, but when Wolfgang tried to get a clear shot, he was killed by another alien near the fenced area where the barrels exploded. Victor went to go and take a look, but before he could spot the alien, he was hit also but his armour saved him from demise. While we expected 1 alien he managed to spot another further behind the Triton. Without taking any chances SV (the second) primed a grenade and threw under the feet of the closer alien. Few other soldiers were designated to flank the second one.

Posted Image

Once he was gone, we could focus on the deep one who wasted all his shots on the tank doing nothing. It also happened that there was a second one inside the building. Because we didn't have a clear line of fire for the first deep one, a grenade was used. Before the grenade exploded, the tank moved to scout further ahead and spotted another deep one. Using simple snap shot he managed to hit him despite his low accuracy.

Posted Image

There were more deep ones further along too. Once the deep one inside the now almost devastated building was dead, the team moved ahead to catch up with the tank. And it also looked like the tank was holding out on it's own too. SV was tasked to go inside the building and see if someone wasn't behind the big door. Unlucky for him there was a deep one. Lucky for him, the deep one didn't care. Because of that SV unleashed a volley of shots on him, just only to stun him. But because the aliens can now bleed out SV was assigned a very dangerous task. Heal the alien and guard him. We need at least one live deep one. He also just in case threw a smoke grenade just to make the alien unconscious longer. Don't know if smoke has any effect on sleeping agents / aliens, but at least the deep one did not wake up.

Posted Image

There were few more aliens to deal with. One inside the tower, and few further along the big house. The team did not have any major issues dealing with them and more or less they happily return to base.

Posted Image

#31 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

Phew, lucky me no.2.

I hope you can find some OTHER sacrificial offerings now, HUH?! :D

#32 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 12:06 AM

Fortune favours fools as they say ;). They also say fortune favours the brave, so I'm playing a little reckless with you ;)

Another terror mission behind us, this one went pretty good. The end of month was not that far and our rating for march was pretty good.

Posted Image

We are now in April and that means Lobsters will be most common, thankfully that Sonic Cannon is almost done. On 7th of April a very small USO touched down somewhere in Caribbeans. Triton was not fast enough to catch him so Barracuda had to destroy it. After the Sonic Cannons were now usable by troops, the scientists went ahead to get all the pre-reqs for better armour and new subs. Because we will need at least Hammerhead in order to get those colonies.

This month went mostly quiet on our side of the planet. That means the aliens must have taken a lot of actions somewhere in the Pacific. Even if I checked the graphs before now, I wouldn't be able to respond either way. On 21st of April aliens attack Hawaii. Sonic Cannons are here, so I ain't scared of no lobsters. However when I opened the Triton doors, I have little bit got scared.

Posted Image

Yep we are dealing with aquatoids. And that only means, we will get MC attacked like no tomorrow. Better kill them fast before they could see us. While we were able to kill those aquatoids behind the Triton, there was this calcinite on top floor of the hotel and our troops preferred to shoot windows. The calcinite did not wont to scram and he just wanted to hug SV Mk.2. Not to mention that there was another one which punched the Tank to the front. Well our top weapon vs aquatiods have failed. I'll just wait in the corner and cry when they release the MC power.

Posted Image

We were also unfortunate that there wasn't any best place to scatter. While we have dealt with the local threat for now. Turn 3 brought misery, when Leonid Coicaud was mind controlled and threw a grenade into bunch of people, killing 3 men. Also SV went nuts. Looks like Mk. 2 has an issue of having taffy for brain :(. At this point I wanted to pull back and save whoever I could, but instead of that I just pressed on. They can't kill all of us, the gods have been satisfied last time.

Posted Image

The team moves on and scatters to all possible directions. Thankfully next MC attacks weren't dangerous and team could search and destroy more aliens. On farthest north-west corner an aquatoid has played teleportation trick on me. I have spotted him in the small room in the building and then on my turn I saw one way outside. Strangely I thought that it was a second one, because I couldn't see him exit the house.  Thankfully the alien didn't use to his advantage. Meanwhile on the south part, the tank was holding on it's own for now, scouting and killing aliens if he could. Also on eastern part, our commander was keeping one calcinite at bay.

The MC attacks were pretty relentless only on those 2 soldiers which caused me little grief. This allowed us to push back aliens to corner and also clean the hotel room. When all was mostly settled, the alien decided to strike back. First the calcinte that was hiding behind the statues, beelined towards our commander and with one swoop killed her.

Posted Image

Then another calcinite beelined towards the tank and killed it too. Next an alien comes out from the bunker under the statues and kills Leonid. Lastly SV got almost blown up by a very strange grenade drop.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Ugh this mission almost went from success to uber failure.

Posted Image

#33 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 07:18 AM

What are you saying?! The mission was a huge success! I survived and I'm off to the infirmary! See you in a month!

#34 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:03 AM

I think you missed the word ALMOST.

::

So after our lucky victory, I've checked the graphs and it looks like I was right. Heavy activity near Japan and South Pacific (I do believe that graphs also aren't cleared when one checks something does abandon game and loads a save?). Triton was sent to investigate Japan and there she is. Alien Colony number 1. Since we can't do anything, we can already count Japan as lost cause. Checking South Pacific is rather impossible since it could be anywhere or there might not actually be any base.

Posted Image

On 23rd of April we get another small USO over South America. Barracuda gave it a little chase, when finally it touched down over Caribbeans. It will be a dark mission and I forgot to load a tank. Thankfully no lobsters. Only few gill man near the sub, the rest was hiding deep near the sub. That's where things went a little hairy. First we lost Bernard because I don't know why I didn't toss the flare further ahead. Then we lost Miguel, because of strange detection bug or something. When Miguel spotted the first alien and the alien was killed, there was no visible sign of alien standing next to the dead one, but as soon as Miguel was selected the next alien was there. Strangely why both aliens weren't spotted together?

Posted Image

When we killed that one, the last trap was inside the USO, and only because the door was destroyed from the grenade that was thrown to kill any alien standing in front of the sub. I don't know if doors should be destroyed like that when the grenade blows on turn when doors are still opened.

Posted Image

A little close from comfort. Probably the tank would help here reduce the death count.

Posted Image

#35 Tycho

Tycho

Lieutenant

• Project Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

The data graph should be accurate in CE.  The code zeros-out all the bytes in ALIEN.DAT and XCOM.DAT, when starting a new game.

Japan may not be lost as the aliens may have just built a colony.  If you can get at least one mission per month near Japan, you could offset the penalty for the base being there.

#36 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

Starting new game yes, but it was Abandon Game -> Load Save and the graphs stayed as I left them in previous game.

#37 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 09:52 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 22 March 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

What are you saying?! The mission was a huge success! I survived and I'm off to the infirmary! See you in a month!

That's how you made Captain in my series, just sit back and let the promotions roll in ;)

#38 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:40 PM

Are you ready for some insanity? I hope not, because I'm not. And no, this is not the colony attack with rookies in plastic aqua armour that I've launched in Triton 2. They can't land near the colony for start. But before we jump in, here are our new victims brave heroes who will die in the name of The Great One.

Nook:

Posted Image

NKF (or should we say EnKeyEff (9000)):

Posted Image

Zombie:

Posted Image

Tycho:

Posted Image

And myself have come out from the shadows:

Posted Image

Of course our heroes will be the first to come out and die horribly. But first a word from our sponsors. Because of that colony Japan called quits. Since we have Tycho on board I will refrain myself from any tentacle jokes. Our scientists quickly discovered the Ion Armour. But I'm lacking the main easy to get component - aqua plastics. Unless we get some big UFO I will have to manufacture some.

Posted Image

But in the meantime on the 3rd of May we get another small USO near South America. It gets shot down almost at the cost. But when Triton was sent, there were suddenly USOs galore. A Dreadnought, 2 supply ships. Looks like they are building base in Caribbeans too. Well then change of plans. Triton goes for the Dreadnought and Triton 2 will go for the small one. Let us see how many USOs we will get, or maybe we will die in horrible painful death?

The start looked promising - promising of death, as there was Xarquid already positioned to kill anyone exiting the sub, and the tank definitely is not that armoured. Since we know that there are Xarquids, the good news is, we are dealing with gill man. The bad news is, we are dealing with gill man, and since it is dreadnought there is one particular gill man that may things difficult.

Anyway, although exiting the sub and hearing all those screams agony would be fun, let's in fact do the other thing and kill the aliens. First thing first - Zombie give me that smoke grenade old chap. The smoke helped fool that Xarquid, and then Nook fired a rocket in his face - yes I've put Mr. Nook on heavy explosives duty - I know I will regret it later. The thing didn't notice the explosion so it ate some sonic rounds. It also appears that there was a second Xarquid just north of the Triton. We also got smoke cover just in case. Also Xarquids have a very strange visual bug when projectile sort of changes plane. Even though we have killed both Xarquids we weren't somehow totally hidden in the smoke as on the next turn Gill Man Commander tried his dirty tricks. And out of all the man he had to pick on me.

Posted Image

Moving on, Tracey made a step forward and spotted a Gill man. Having 74% aimed shot and still being in some part of the smoke she fired at him, missing completely. The gill man on the other hand showed her how you really should shoot. Unfortunately she will not live on with this knowledge. Our first death and there are twice as many aliens as we are.

Posted Image

Moving ahead, we spot an alien being on the lookout balcony. The only thing he didn't know is that EnKeyEff was itching to kill something - something not human at least. Slowly closing in to the USO, we spot few more Xarquids and Gill man on the way. Without any big trouble they were killed. The Gill Man Commander was still doing his best to stop us. This time Zombie was his target. In fact he was so determined, that Zombie couldn't reach the USO. Couldn't because Zombie was suddenly shot from the side. It looks like there was some sneaky little alien that on purpose didn't fire at the tank so I could feel confident.

Once inside the USO, there was only 1 alien on ground floor. The team divided into small teams that will check every corner. Also Me and Nook were waiting for the tank to return from the survey of the back of the USO so we could hunt that hiding alien.
On the first floor of the USO, there were 2 aliens inside the elevator room. With some little help of grenade relying, Tycho threw sonic pulser under their feet.

Posted Image

When the coast was clear the team moved to the second floor. The sideways were mostly empty except the north-western one. The alien was standing on the elevator tile so he also ate a grenade. On the third floor, there were few aliens in the room to the left. We also found out that Zombie's killer was another Xarquid happily floating near the northern edge of the map. Although we had killed him fast, he probably saw us, because suddenly everything went dark and Nook told later that he had to do some Matrix dodging. Also EnKayEff walked pass an alien holding DPL.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Finally most of the soldiers were on the second floor and have divided to search both wings and stay and have a look on the small window in the middle of the floor. There were some aliens taking a walk there. However this spot is very tricky and don't you ever try playing with grenades near it. You might die or something. The rest of the way up to the command center was clear. There EnKeyEff was surprised with a stun attack. It was up to Tycho to replace his position. And unfortunately Tycho snuffed it once he reached the room. But at least the bastard didn't live long enough.

Posted Image

Phew that was a little intense. Didn't thought I could take a dreadnought only in aqua plastics. At one point I thought that someone will die horribly to DPL. Shame for Zombie and Tycho. Let's hope their clones will see more glory.

Posted Image

#39 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:46 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 23 March 2015 - 09:52 PM, said:

That's how you made Captain in my series, just sit back and let the promotions roll in ;)

Hehe, fortunately in this team you can't just slack off in the base and magically be a Captain.

#40 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,528 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Yes, because you'll be renamed, HUH?! Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users