22 replies to this topic

#21 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

So I admit the original post(from tumblr) about the Win10 upgrade thing is gone, so I'm doing this mostly from memory; but the primary reason to upgrade would be because it would allow for so many extra programming extras that  you just can't pull off in older windows.

I mean, there's software reasons(Was it XP or Vista that couldn't handle a certain amount of RAM that made the market panic?) that things arn't backwards comptiable as well as hardware reasons(can you picture a WinXp game trying to make full use of a six-core cpu with dual video cards and a bucket of ram?) for upgrading.

I dunno, like I said I don't have the full explantion-post that laid it out pretty well and I'm sorry; but I don't really see a reason NOT to upgrade. Sure, maybe not the day of or something, but there's enough bonuses from where I'm sitting(improved handling of hardware through windows, more up-to-date security stuff, simpler access to the newer games(which will also benifit from the handling thing), plus its not a set-in-stone thing. Don't lose your license for the previous version of windows.)

I'll be 1) Backing up my Steam Library and the like beforehand.
2) (Make sure you have a physical system restore disk)
3) Waiting at least a few weeks, probably closer to a month, to let them figure out the worst of the issues(8.0 to 8.1, after all)
4) Jumping in full throttle.
5) If something goes wrong, use my re-install disks to revert back to Win7 and lose a minor amount of time from the whole ordeal; and try again in a few months.

MOST games that are post-XP should work pretty well from what I've heard/read; and even XP games should DOS-Box well enough. Of course, that's so hit-and-miss even in 7 YMMV as usual.
I unno. Just seems like there's more reasons TO for me than NOT TO. But, of course, to each their own. :)

#22 Kret

Kret

Lieutenant

• Site Staff
    • PipPipPipPip
    • 759 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:19 PM

View PostSpace Voyager, on 21 July 2015 - 11:13 AM, said:

Kret, where have you been?! Welcome back! And I agree that it is always wise to wait a while.
    I'm still around, I'm just in super-lurker mode so that's why you don't see much activity from me.

The only reason you find yourself where you "must" upgrade would be if you really "must have" that game that only works in the DirectX version that windows 10 has. Otherwise, patience is key, take a couple of days off from any work and social interaction, have all the install/recovery disks and drivers ready for a reinstall if things go horribly wrong, backups aren't a bad idea or just accept that if something does go wrong you will lose data. You could also get a new (or used) HD to perform a fresh windows install so that you can test the upgrade process on that drive. Not sure if dual booting will be possible between your current version and 10 or if the upgrade won't allow for that unless you already have a dual boot setup.
    There's always some dirt to dig out

#23 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • 39,513 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:09 PM

Posted Image

::

The institutional line: ten tips from Microsoft for gamers to get ready for Windows 10 can be found here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users