Stupid stuff you've done

TabulaRasa

Yeah, I know about favourite soldiers. In my case, they are all hybrids with HIGH psi stat. Anything else is just to make up the numbers. (to get a commander)

... you mean, if your main character dies you take the whole game as a loss and reload from there, eh. mmm.

I use large squads of like... 24 troops on missions. And have like 8 main characters, who I try to let take most of the kills in turn based. It rankles a little when a semi-fodder dude flukes and gets like 8 kills in a mission. Was wondering if having ONE star makes certain missions frustrating... at least even in emergencies where one char is near death, I can send him through the exits and let my 7 other stars fight on.

Not one for stupid things myself, though there was one episode of UFO2000 where one soldier had an empty gun...

So he threw it at the nearest enemy! *THUMP!*

AFAIK, no damage done, but it looked bloody funny to see a flying rifle smack this guy in the face. :confused:

Not one for stupid things myself, though there was one episode of UFO2000 where one soldier had an empty gun...

So he threw it at the nearest enemy! *THUMP!*

AFAIK, no damage done, but it looked bloody funny to see a flying rifle smack this guy in the face. :borg:

:confused: ..... I once shot one of my own guys in UFO2000 and threw his body to another one of my guys and we had a nice game of catch until Abyssion blew my team's brains out :grr:

:offtopic:

• 1 month later...

Another stupid thing I've done: Once I've decided I don't need Transtellar, nor purchase any more goods or equipment, PLUS in that stupid game I had the government went bankrupt and hence ceased my funding entirely....

Anyhow, who needs this city anymore??? I got everything I'll ever need from it... DIE!!! Die die die die die!!!

Returning victorious from the annihilation of the entire alien fleet, the X-com Annihilator and Retaliator pilots ponder their next move. In a fit of boredom, they decide to torch Megaprimus, building by building.

At one point of lunacy I then decided the aliens were my friends and I would let them use Megaprimus as their breeding ground. However, those aliens apparently DO need an intact building to deposit troops in. Or so it seemed anyhow. Hmm...

Maybe I'll try a cheating game. A flotilla of Annihilators from Day 1, reducing entire city to rubble other than X-com warehouses and slum, and wait for the aliens to do their "beaming down" infestation!

First game, first interception.

I sent out everything I had, top speed, full aggression.

The very first missile launched hit one of those transit tube things, and it collapsed and fell on a police car.

That sort of set the tone. Start as you mean to go on and all that.

• 4 weeks later...
About taking one's Marsec torso unit off in midair... that actually saved my butt on one occasion. I was at one of the corporate HQs and had a man running along one of the catwalks... I don't recall exactly how, but I ended up right next to a multiworm and a couple of hyperworms and practically no time points left. Stupid, I know. Needless to say, I was facing certain and quick death. This was one of my most prized soldiers and I thought I'd lose him for sure this time, but then I had that crazy idea- I took a step off the catwalk (the glass had been previously blasted away), and removed my Marsec torso unit. I fell 3 or 4 levels and sustained critical wounds with almost no HP remaining, but my man was able to escape and live for another day... :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided I'd finally try playing Apoc on my XP machine, and with a bit of tinkering I even got the intro movie to play properly. (Seems to have broken again since for some reason :angry: , but I don't feel the need to watch it again for a while. :) ).

Anyways, the first two missions go fine. I kill the pitiful forces invading the slums, and take the stuff home for research. The next few days pass with no events whatsoever... Then some more UFO's come through the gates.

Now, I'd already researched type-2 (a police car shot one down, the craft I hit all got detroyed), so I aim my craft at the type-1 UFOs... Then notice that a gate has spawned right over my base. I redirect my ships accordingly.

One 'un-manned UFO' flies directly over my base and drops some aliens in. Up comes the 'base assault' screen, and before I know it, I'm in tactical combat, fighting to defend my one and only base... with a bunch of... scientists and techs.

All my soldiers were launched into the air seconds earlier, along with my Valkarie. :)

Thus it came to pass that I lost the game in about four days flat. :muton::chrys:

• 1 year later...

WISE FROM YOUR GWAVE!

Ahem. I've only recently started playing Apoc again after years of absence, but I was at it all the time before I stopped. The stupidest thing I've ever done would have to be this:

I started a new game, because (thanks to co-playing with my cousin, which usually involves razing the city to the ground with hoverbikes in the first few days) the Government stopped my funding way too early on in my previous one.

I've already had quite some experience with alien raids by then and developed a system where in the first half/third of the game I'd play in real time if I didn't expect a serious threat damage-wise and turn-based if I did. My reasoning was that Brainsuckers are much more dangerous in turn-based games, but virtually useless in real time tactical missions, because I can splatter them way before they can infect my troops. On the other hand, the acid-spitting aliens are much more dangerous in real time, because they will shoot at you the same time you shoot at them and the acid eats through Megapol armor like it wasn't even there.

So, I started a new game, bought some equipment and immediately the first siren sounded. Big deal, the starting tac mission is always a breeze, a few Anthropods at most. That's what I thought. It was in a slum and after killing 2 Multiworms and associated Hyperworms, a few separate Hyperworms, 3-4 Spitters, a Multiworm Egg (the damn thing was sitting right in the middle of a corridor I needed to go through) and an ungodly number of Anthropods, there were still enemies on the map.

I've already lost one soldier and most of the others were pretty worn down too. I paused and gave the wounded ones orders to congregate near the exit points, so they'd be out of trouble. After I unpaused and they started moving, a group of two encountered an Anthropod with a Brainsucker Launcher. The Launcher fired and the Brainsucker attached itself to the head of one of the guys. I fired at it with the other, but missed and it fell down dead. I immediately paused and, after replacing the M3000 in the non-brainsucked guy's hand with an Autocannon with AP rounds, I opened fire. The other guy died almost immediately. So immediately that I didn't notice that the Brainsucker was unsuccessful and I was still controlloing him until it was too late.

Thus happened the most unnecessary death of an X-Com soldier ever.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't speak for my fellow mods, but I have no problem with necromancy of old threads if new information, ideas or thoughts are added to it, or in this case it doesn't really matter. Besides, it could resurrect some interest in the thread.

- NKF

Dude. This thread has been dead for almost two years.

Well, I thought it was interesting enough to resurrect.

On that note, recently, I've picked up the habit of sending my 4-android "kill team" on every mission that involves a target-rich environment, but lack of collateral damage is preferable (that is, factories and the Senate). You can say whatever you want, but when Poppers first appeared, one of them could easily take out all four of them if it exploded, and nowadays (with their equipment unchanged except for M4000s being exchanged for Disruptor Guns) a Popper MAY damage one of them, if it is lucky. Androids do get better with time, even if they can't be trained.

Anyway, two of them wield dual Disruptors, one has a Disruptor and an Autocannon with all kinds of ammo, and the fourth has dual Autocannons with HE ammo. He gets little use except for the occassional UFO mission, obviously. XD It was in an Arms Factory that I found myself under heavy fire from altogether 10 Skeletoids and Anthropods with Devastator cannons and a Popper running towards me. So what do I do? Being who I am, I decide to use the HE guy to take out three Anthropods that were very close together while the dual-Disruptor guys lay down suppressing fire that's bound to get the Popper sooner or later. Except I forgot that the Anthropods were very close together because they were between a wall and the edge of a large crate stack. And you know how the crates are in Arms Factories. Suffice to say, it was "Menu, Load Game" time after that.

• 2 months later...

Ah, yes...favorite characters. Never had one in Apoc, but for some reason I started naming my best commanders IJ in UFO Defense when I was a kid. IJ III was a legend. There was a chrysalid loose in the middle of my units in a terror ship mission and every other soldier was out of time units. IJ III had just enough TU's for one snap shot half across the board, which killed the sucka!

I can attest the the pleasure of manually controlling your Annihilator and razing Megatropolis. :D

Speaking of throwing weapons, my friend and I found certain joy in playing "catch the corpse" in UFO Defense. Very satisfying.

Unrelated: has anyone else ever had the aliens send every ship they own at you? It happened to me with about 50 ships of every kind. Ugh. My friend said it was called Apocalypic Mission, I dunno if he just made that up. I wonder what triggers the greys to do that.

While the aliens can't posess that many ships (it's the chaos that produces the illusion of so many ships), the Apocalypse mission does happen. It happens later on in the campaign once the aliens are basically frustrated with you. They just go in and start attacking a series of buildings owned by your allies (or yourself) with a slightly more aggressive fleet than usual.

If I'm not mistaken, it usually happens some time after the cityscape music has changed (which I dislike immensely, by the way) and you haven't been steadily destroying the alien fleet in and out of the city.

Apoclypse Mission is a fan-made term, much like Micronoid Rain (blue sparkly drop - no aliens dropped but a chance at instantaneous takeover). The game doesn't call either of these events by these names, but fans developed them as a way to identify them. They kind of stuck in the end. :D

- NKF