Stupid stuff you've done

TabulaRasa

I was thinking about some of those stupid things that you accidentally do while playing apoc, or any other game for that matter. Ive done some dumb things in my time, but i was wondering, what dumb stuff do other people do?

For me, i can name two things. Just yesterday i got apoc working on xp :blink: finally! And i started a new game. When i was putting aliens into containment, i was wondering why i wasnt keeping some of the live ones... Then i remembered which side you had to drag the slider to to kill them, and which side to keep them :). Turns out i had it backwards... Also when i was doing a regular mission in an office building about a year ago, i had primed a stun grenade, and was going to throw it, i just had to go down a floor to make it land in the right place. So i pressed the button with the down arrow on it and wondered why the veiw wouldnt change. Thats when i realized i had just made the guy drop his grenade, stunning him and a few others with him :).

So if you have done dumb stuff in the past like this, then put it here! And if im the only one, then i have just made a total idiot out of myself...

Also when i was doing a regular mission in an office building about a year ago, i had primed a stun grenade, and was going to throw it, i just had to go down a floor to make it land in the right place. So i pressed the button with the down arrow on it and wondered why the veiw wouldnt change. Thats when i realized i had just made the guy drop his grenade, stunning him and a few others with him :blink:.

My "standard" mistake... :)

Another one is having weapons in the "wrong hand". This happens especially after getting the personal steath unit - or whatever the name. I prime the grenades - and bombard the aliens with stealth units... No need to add they aren't scared AT ALL, he he he!

So I have to be carefull to have weapons in left hand of the soldiers, becouse I always throw with the opposite hand of the steath unit (which is in the right hand) so that I don't show my soldiers to aliens. If you had a grenade in your left hand, the "prime grenade" button is close to throw command of this same arm and you (I) don't make as many mistakes... :)

And there are others, like equiping one team but sending the one that's been in the ship before virtually without equipment ETC ETC... B)

Maybe not a dumb thing I did, but something increadibly stupid.

So, I sent some agenst on a mission, in the Seneta i think, the mission started ( real time ), i gave some basic orders to move from point A to B, started to look around the map, and soddenly, "Unit has lost conciousnes: Gerhard Whatever" appears...so I was like 'WTF ?!' - no aliens around, no combat yet...

Well, it came out that the guy actually FELL OF THE STAIRS ! ! ! :blink:

I almost fell of my chair when i saw what happened :)

And it did happen more than once. The next time, a mission at Flyer Factory, there are to levels of the building there, usually a lot of aliens downstairs. So i cleared the upper part, and decided to go down - again, a message about conciousness - this time one of the agenst slipped (?) when going down the flat entrance do the lower level...

I mean, a man that killed over twenty aliens, a Commander of the troops, and falls of the stairs ? :)

You know, for some reason that reminds of one really stupid thing I did along time ago.

Right in the middle of a UFO assault, I got this sudden flash of curiosity. "What would happen if I took my marsec torso plate off in mid-air?".

I did it while hovering over a megaspawn too - right in the middle of a firefight.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

about the falling thing...

when you fall, you get leg damage, and some unconcousness/stun. ive conducted tests in slums and assult ship maps (the green UFO). if you fall onto another beiing, be it alien or human, the person who fell onto the one ont he ground goes unconcious. havn't tried going through another person flying though. one annoying thing: dropping stuff onto treetops, cuz you can't land on trees. so you have to blast them to oblivon!

In the slums map, where there's a gravity shaft in the center and a fire escape to the east... Game was set to Real-Time.

I always fight on this map with the same tactic. I set up snipers behind the rocky stuff pointing at the central gravity shaft while I infiltrate through the fire escape. Sometimes the fire escape gets damaged, forcing me to use the shaft. This is one such occasion...

This happened way back, towards the beginning of this year. I had a total of six troopers in Megapol armor. Two snipers guarding the shaft, while four others attacked the escape. When my men made it to the escape, the aliens had apparently stacked a few guards over there. In fact, they were swarming! Anthropods, Spitters, a multiworm, and I'd wager at least 5 or 6 Hyperworms.

But they were stacked on the fire escape... No problem right? Just use some HE shells to blow out the supports and down they all go! That's exactly what I did. I Loaded a trooper armed with an autocannon with HE shells, told him to crouch, and targeted the escape... All while the game was paused.

Once I unpaused, I saw the shells go. And to my dismay, I suddenly realized I forgot to CANCEL THE ORDER FOR MY OTHER TROOPS TO BOARD THE ESCAPE! I saw them climbing the stairs to the third or fourth floor when suddenly all the explosions sent them crashing down...

What's weird? The aliens all died, but my guys survived without so much as a scratch. ???

Simple: All hail your mighty body armour, of which aliens don't have any! :blink:

Well, it soaked up most of the damage in any case, and I take it you weren't too high up in the air, as the damage you are dealt tends to relate to how much distance you had to fall.

- NKF

They survived without so much as a single health point lost. (I remember this because I checked.) Well... I'm not 100% sure, since I only checked on a couple guys. But I'm sure they all survived since I checked up on the ones that took the brunt of the hits.

Nothing can harm the gams of my soldiers... :blink:

You know, for some reason that reminds of one really stupid thing I did along time ago.

Right in the middle of a UFO assault, I got this sudden flash of curiosity. "What would happen if I took my marsec torso plate off in mid-air?".

I did it while hovering over a megaspawn too - right in the middle of a firefight.

- NKF

What happened? :blink:

The only stupid things I've done involve the terrain and stairs. Like for example, I was stuck 2 floors below and I couldn't get up...

I've blown up stairs aswell so I couldn't get to where the aliens were hehe

PS: Does the jump button actually work coz i cant get it to....

PPS: How did you get Apoc to work in XP?

PPPS: Does UFO, TFTD, APOC work in Win2000 Pro?

The manual says hold the J button down and click where you want to jump. I've only ever been able to get units to jump off of ledges (lots of morbid fun can be had with teleporters and mind benders...). Jumping across 1 tile holes has always been automatic.

- NKF

It also brings a new level to the term 'stun raid'. Well, not quite a 'stun' raid, since you're just 'visiting' the site. It's not your fault the enemy guards are committing suicide....

the trick is to remember to break your psionic link before they hit the ground. :blink:

- NKF

• 4 months later...
It also brings a new level to the term 'stun raid'. Well, not quite a 'stun' raid, since you're just 'visiting' the site. It's not your fault the enemy guards are committing suicide....

the trick is to remember to break your psionic link before they hit the ground. ;)

- NKF

Heh. On that note, and also getting back on topic, I've gone on "knocking buildings over runs" before.

It pretty much involves the process of removing a building's entire foundations until it collapses. Pretty!

... except the stupid physics engine calculates weird things, like a window holding up pretty much the entire structure. Oh well. Too many calculations otherwise. Too bad. I'd have liked to be able to inflict economic penalties on enemies by just vortex mining the building support pillars and some of the walls.

For silliness, I've done this to non-hostile organizations. Psied some guards and put them on top of the building, or under where the rubble is gonna fall before the final shots. heh heh heh...

• 1 month later...
My character jumped off a ledge before... the other guy just walked down, but the HEROIC character had to fall 4 levels and look like a complete idiot -.- Anyways, the dumbest thing I ever did... I told my friend to drop a High Explosive on a popper when he was flying over it and that it would kill the thing. I forgot that HEs have a VERY large radius and that we were in an apartment where he was on floor 2. He died in a fire of glory and explosions... I also sent my main character into a room where there were 4 or so Anthropods with a Brainsucker Launcher each. Ouch.

errr... poppers have pretty big explosive radius too...

Main character? You tried an entire campaign ala the "main character" path? ... So... did you choose a hybrid, human, or android? No, wait, if he was an android you would have shrugged off brainsuckers with impunity. hmm... Was it amusing as your "main character" was hit by psi attacks on many missions? Or was hit by a missile? ... that's why I don't have use main characters (anymore).

• 2 weeks later...

I named him Orion Ravenclaw, my Paladin Character, whom I've become quite attached to. Even have a 50 page long story about him... All my friends have characters but they dont know that... :confused:

Anyhows, If he dies I take the mission as a loss, and I quit for a day or two :grr: