Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

In response to your question: Why would you build another base with troops even though the Skyranger can go anywhere?

Well, what happens if there is a terror site and your only Skyranger is refueling? What happens when you need to deal with two things at once? What happens if your only base with soldier gets overrun with aliens and everyone dies? There's three good reasons. There are a ton more.

As to why you need to build another base when your manufacturing base still isn't operational yet... *shrugs*. Personally I would have got that manufacturing base up and cranking out Medi-Kits or something. By selling the excess manufactured items, you could fund that third base you just built, or a fourth or a fifth. ;)

- Zombie

In response to your question: Why would you build another base with troops even though the Skyranger can go anywhere?

Well, what happens if there is a terror site and your only Skyranger is refueling? What happens when you need to deal with two things at once? What happens if your only base with soldier gets overrun with aliens and everyone dies? There's three good reasons. There are a ton more.

As to why you need to build another base when your manufacturing base still isn't operational yet... *shrugs*. Personally I would have got that manufacturing base up and cranking out Medi-Kits or something. By selling the excess manufactured items, you could fund that third base you just built, or a fourth or a fifth. wink.png

- Zombie

Would it not be cheaper to just put 2 Tritons in the main HQ rather than building a second base for it? I realize you'd be hosed with a failed base defense, but it doesn't seem like the best use of funds trying to keep 2 equipped bases going.

And as for base #3, It's not going to be much more than a lookout post. I may eventually get another barracuda for it, but it should be close enough to the Pacific base and it's Barracuda for now. My thinking is that once the sonar is up, all I need is to take down a sub or 2 and the supplies from those should easily cover its expenses. Plus, since it's so early in the month I should be able to rebuild my bank account by the time the bills show up.

Would it not be cheaper to just put 2 Tritons in the main HQ rather than building a second base for it? I realize you'd be hosed with a failed base defense, but it doesn't seem like the best use of funds trying to keep 2 equipped bases going.

How would it be cheaper? You'll probably want at least one hangar in each base just for interceptions. Until you get the funds to cover the advanced craft, why not stick a Triton at a different base with some soldiers and send them out every once and a while? You can train up two squads this way (assuming no fatalities). If you do go down the MC route, having a second base to screen your troops for MC is great as after the screening is done you can train them in-situ and transfer them once their stats are decent.

I always run my games with two "main" intercept/assault bases on opposite sides of the globe. If a terror site will be in the dark for one team, pony up the other team and assault with them in daylight. If you have a group of downed/landed USO's, it's always nice to to get to two missions instead of one. Yeah, outfitting two bases for intercept and assault can be tricky to manage, especially when armor, weapons and ammo are in short supply. But once they are equipped, they run themselves (again, assuming no fatalities or terrible missions). It's doable though.

And as for base #3, It's not going to be much more than a lookout post. I may eventually get another barracuda for it, but it should be close enough to the Pacific base and it's Barracuda for now. My thinking is that once the sonar is up, all I need is to take down a sub or 2 and the supplies from those should easily cover its expenses. Plus, since it's so early in the month I should be able to rebuild my bank account by the time the bills show up.

You are assuming that you will not have bad missions or a revolving door of fatalities. Why risk it? Much safer to manufacture stuff for cash and use that to fund bases. As an added benefit, if you do need to replace lost armor, medi-kits, pulsers or ammo, those engineers can be tasked with that, and get it done quicker. wink.png

- Zombie

Well, at least those that went missing won't be able to turn on you the next time the Tasoth show up. wink.png

On the new base, I feel the new base may have been better placed a bit further out into the ocean, perhaps by the colony. Not necessarily for the supply ships, but so your sonar would cover more of the sea. The aliens don't go much for land except for when they pass over or raid ports. The odd occasion where a sub does set down on land is caused by a glitch in how they perceive the polygons that make up the land, and have technically landed in the ocean. It's sufficient to just cover the shores as the areas of influence for all the countries extend out to sea.

Running a B-team doesn't cost a lot to run and maintain. All you need is a basic intercept outpost with an extra sub pen for the Triton and perhaps doubling the base garrison so that some can go out on missions. You're not going to be capturing, researching or manufacturing anything with this base, so it can be quite a bare bones base, or just use one of your existing special purpose bases for this by adding the extra sub pen in.

A second team would also be a good excuse to get the other named Aquanauts a chance to flex their muscles, and you won't have to swap them in and out of the main sub as often. Also, when you get a Displacer, you'll have a lot less named aquanauts on the Triton.

Zombie's mentioned some benefits already. I'd also like to add that having a B-team on the other side of the globe from the main team also helps split the travel time in half and you can attend to thee mission sites a lot faster. Having two bases, each in opposing time zones, helps a lot in timing your missions so that you can attend them during the day.

It's a few years now, but we had a multi player After Action Report game where board members here took turns playing TFTD and then reporting back the results with screenshots and what not. The Lobster Burger game. Having a second assault base really saved our hides since the main base got obliterated by a sudden attack by Lobstermen. Thanks to the second Triton, we managed to keep the game going.

- NKF

It's a few years now, but we had a multi player After Action Report game where board members here took turns playing TFTD and then reporting back the results with screenshots and what not. The Lobster Burger game. Having a second assault base really saved our hides since the main base got obliterated by a sudden attack by Lobstermen. Thanks to the second Triton, we managed to keep the game going.

I may be starting to see your reasoning (just maybe!). Zombie mentioned it as well, having a base assault could be quite dirty, especially if my Triton is away. I'm getting to the point where the game is within winning reach, with the Armor, DPLs, & Cannons the only real way of losing as I can see at the moment would be if I lost my main base.

I had a second main base on my last UFO game that I rarely used, I was never really able to keep it geared (with armor especially) so it never really made sense to send the ill-equiped & inexperienced guys in when the Skyranger from the Main HQ can hit anywhere. This is where my questioning of a second base comes from... I've never really thought about having a base assault with my troops away though.

Time to start fightin' dirty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cukCmN0nlw

Maybe you should look at my OpenXcom playthrough. I had there a second base and the soldiers were used a few times. It never hurts to have auxiliary troop base.

I've made it a little ways through your playthrough, I'll get there eventually ;)

How is it possible that aliens have access to x-com inventory while x-com doesn't have (at least not legally).

I guess the TFTD Devs thought it was bug and tried to "fix" it from EU, or they thought it was OP and tried to prevent access. Honestly, I agree that if the aliens can access MC'd soldiers inventory then soldiers should be able to access MC'd aliens inventory. It's only fair. The way it stands now, it's cheating. ;)

Well, Neptune, that was a tough mission. With the heavy MC use right from the start, I figured you would lead off with a couple DPL's to the USO to lower the Tasoths morale. Nope. With MC there is always a threat of the mission going pear shaped quickly, so it's important to make a hole in the USO near the bridge with a DPL and then follow that up with another DPL to clear it out. The sooner you get rid of MC, the better. You did get a lucky shot off with the first DPL volley, but I wouldn't count on aliens grouping up that much outside a ship.

Now that you know which soldiers the aliens are going to target with MC from now on, you can use that to your advantage. Next time you encounter MC aliens, don't even equip those MC weaklings, block them in the back of the craft (aka prevent them from leaving the craft) for the aliens to pick on mercilessly. Your other more resistant troops can then mop up without "false positive" alien sightings and pseudo-friendly fire. :P

- Zombie

You've probably noticed how the Tasoth seem to be able to survive some big hits, like that pulser that you threw up the lift, or the various occasions where got hit by Thermal Shok bombs. Unlike Lobstermen, Tasoth don't have a lot of fancy damage resistance, in fact they take extra damage from sonic weapons. However they compensate by having tons of health. Quite a lot actually. Terror unit levels of health. So while they bruise easy, they can take a bit of beating.

Notice how you couldn't shoot up the lift. In the original you could shoot up lifts, but you couldn't shoot down as easily. I think the devs decided to make this more consistent and solidified the landings so you couldn't shoot either way. It doesn't stop the grenade you threw and it doesn't stop area-effect blasts.

On that close range DPL shot the Tasoth took at you in the sub. Normally the game is smart enough to ensure that aliens with this sort of weapon do not fire that close. In fact, walking right up next to them is the safest thing to do if you come across one. I think it was banking on the wall to protect it from the blast, but it appears it misfired and it clipped the corner instead. My reasoning for it being a misfire is that your aquanaut wasn't dead. If he had been hit head on, he wouldn't have survived it. Instead the DPL exploded far enough away that the Mag Ion Armor's back plates soaked up most of the damage. Very lucky indeed.

- NKF

Also where is my armour? Why I am running naked ?

You're camping out in the Triton, save the armor for the front liners smile.png

Now that you know which soldiers the aliens are going to target with MC from now on, you can use that to your advantage. Next time you encounter MC aliens, don't even equip those MC weaklings, block them in the back of the craft (aka prevent them from leaving the craft) for the aliens to pick on mercilessly. Your other more resistant troops can then mop up without "false positive" alien sightings and pseudo-friendly fire. tongue.png

I think they just volunteered for medic duty!

You've probably noticed how the Tasoth seem to be able to survive some big hits, like that pulser that you threw up the lift, or the various occasions where got hit by Thermal Shok bombs. Unlike Lobstermen, Tasoth don't have a lot of fancy damage resistance, in fact they take extra damage from sonic weapons. However they compensate by having tons of health. Quite a lot actually. Terror unit levels of health. So while they bruise easy, they can take a bit of beating.

I had no idea they were that tough, I thought for sure that grenade would easily handle him. And yeah, I miss the ol' shoot up the turbolift tactic.

I don't know where it is, but I got a screen shot where I have 9 Mutons standing in a line. I mind controlled them all ya know. In which I did very dreadful things to each and everyone one of them. Hell, if I gave more of a shit I'd start my own Youtube channel just to reenact the performance. Basically it was a Auschwitz-NoX camp.

I know blasting lobsters is fun, but I think you should relax on the DPL. Acquiring ammo does not comes easily and you should reserve it for colony assault. Since you have them I think you should go for the colonies.

Relax on the DPL? we'll see about that... biggrin.png

As soon as I get re-armored up I plan on hitting the colonies.

When you were blowing up the unconscious lobstermen, it helps to remember that primed grenades don't explode while they are still in your inventory. If you don't think you can run very far, you can prime the grenades and then wait for the next turn to drop and run. Also you can save a bit of time by not picking up pulsers, since they are nigh indestructible.

A few other notes that might be of help with unwanted unconscious aliens:

If you have Mag Ion Armor, float up and then drop the grenade.

You don't have to throw the grenade spot on to the body. You can place it anywhere as long as the body is clipped by the edge of the explosion. This is useful in instances where your aquanaut is standing too close to the body but you want to deal with it right now.

If you have someone really strong, you can pick up the body and throw the body a short way away and use the last note to deal with it. Then, like the last note, place your grenade so that its blast radius clips the body and is no where near the loot.

If you've got lots of medikits and plenty of stimulants to spare, wake up the unconscious lobsterman so that you can shoot it again. Repeat until it is dead. :D Requires two or more aquanauts though.

- NKF

If you've got lots of medikits and plenty of stimulants to spare, wake up the unconscious lobsterman so that you can shoot it again. Repeat until it is dead. grin.gif Requires two or more aquanauts though.

This sounds like a very dangerous idea, I don't know that I'll be trying that anytime soon :)

Think of it as good practice for the first part of the colony. And if ammo does run out, then it's a lesson learned hard. Also considering the high number of DPL Tasoths on this mission, most of the torpedoes spent will have been made back. If that's not enough, the 100 zrbite recovered from this mission can be used to make about 33 torpedoes. More than enough to wipe out T'Leth. wink.png

I'll need to double check, but I believe you can refer to the overhead map while you are in the middle of plotting DPL waypoints. This is a good way to pinpoint a target hidden in the fog of war. Just go to the map, click on the alien marker and this will centre the camera on it when you go back to the Battlescape view.

A point on MC - mental attacks gets stronger the closer the attacker is to the target. Dark Angel got weaker and weaker to the MC effects as he got closer to the alien sub. I'm not sure if it would have helped, but if Bob Dole had gone out ahead, the Tasoth might have picked on him a bit more.

Good shooting by Zombie in this mission. Saved the day almost every time he opened fire.

This sounds like a very dangerous idea, I don't know that I'll be trying that anytime soon smile.png

Only if you try to do it with just one person, which can be suicide when dealing with Tentaculats! It's a team effort, and as long as you're not under fire from other enemies, you can take your time.

Have two (or more) aquanauts crowd around the Lobsterman body. One stands over it to revive it by administering stimulants one at a time. Once it wakes up, the other aquanaut, ideally standing right next to the Lobsterman, then shoots . If the Lobsterman isn't killed, the damage will drop its health well under the stun bar and knock it out. It will stay unconscious long enough for you to repeat the whole process over again on the next turn.

It does requires wasting some medicine, but you don't have to cart off any nearby equipment and you even get a couple of cheap shots off. wink.png

- NKF