Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

Item collection works independently for each part.

With TFTD v1.0, everything on the ground is lost regardless of how you win the first part, including what was left in your sub. You do keep everything that is in the sub if you abandon the mission.

With v2.0/v2.1/v2.0CE , you keep everything in the sub if you completed by aborting in the exit area or if you abandon the mission. If you win by killing everything, you get to collect everything as long as you make it out alive of the next part.

For any stunned aliens, they technically die if you move to the second half. If you chose to abandon the mission you get to take them home with you if they are in the sub. Conscious aliens in the sub don't come, oddly enough. Guess you kick them out before you lift off. wink.png

The second half lets you collect whatever is in the entry area if you win or abandon the mission by aborting, and you get to collect everything from this level if you win by killing everything.

And by the way Nook, you are meant to unload unused clips.

- NKF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py6E-8n7itY

And by the way Nook, you are meant to unload unused clips.

I didn't word that well, I mean that after this second part I unload all my clips plus have a few full ones in my pockets, but when I get back to base I only have 5 clips left and no flares at all. I think it may have only counted the full clips that were on my soldiers and nothing from the site used or otherwise.

You didn't have much ammo left that could be recovered by the end of the mission in any case, as most of them had been used.

You were incredibly lucky with all of your tentaculat encounters on this mission except right at the end, still to get away with only 4 losses wasn't bad at all. Losing Ringlebert was a bit of a blow, but you can recover as you do have some good shooters developing on your team now.

I was amazed how close your main team started to the area with the synomium device. Had you been familiar with the layout, and if had your Gas Cannon, a torpedo launcher or the DPL with you, you could have ended this mission in a few turns by shooting the synomium device from underneath. Keep that in mind if you get another one of these missions.

The synomium device will show up again in the Alien Colony's second level. Fortunately in a tiny room filled with 3 high ranking and easily stunned Lobstermen and not in the same sort of horrendous Tentaculat death trap area.

- NKF

You got very lucky with the Synomium device room being as close as it was. By neutralizing the Tentaculat guards early, you were able to get a foothold so you could deal with the Hallucinoids at leisure. Nice job with leaving TU for reaction fire, it's almost like you knew what you were doing. sweat.gif

The mishmosh room with the Aquatoids and Tasoths required much more caution and men to deal with. Times like that you need to go for broke as you were vested due to some men being cut off from the rest of the team. Personally, I would have brought more men in there and advanced cautiously tossing pulsers to and fro to hopefully take some heat off the guys being shot at.

Really though, you probably shouldn't have been so focused on aborting and rather tried to kill all the aliens. I couldn't imagine many being left (assuming you would have killed the aliens in the mishmosh room. A DPL would have been awesome in there). Maybe another Tentaculat or so. Water under the bridge at that point though.

You really botched the withdrawal unfortunately. Ringlebert out in the middle of nowhereland without backup and gets zombified. Rule number 1 when dealing with Tentaculats is you need a 2 man team to cover the guy withdrawing. And station a few men with full TU around the exit area to cover those guys. Don't think there are any more Tentaculats left? Never assume that, always plan that there are more. That's why I keep preaching to be cautious, you can't fool around with some of the aliens in TFTD as they will eat you alive. ;)

Not a bad mission though.

By the way, I can't help but wonder if the "primed" pulser that didn't go off when tossed was a bug. Didn't you have that primed from the previous part? The game might have problems with that. teehee.gif

- Zombie

The pulser was armed, but it did not explode because time went backwards for it. The grenade's turn-to-detonate field was set in the last mission after several turns had passed but it never got used. When the game switched to the next part, the grenade was still primed to explode after the same number of turns.

For example, say on turn 12 a grenade is primed to 0. The grenade's condition to explode is set to turn 12 + 0 = 12. This means it is allowed to explode if left on the ground after turn 12.

Assuming it was never used, when you get to the next part, the turn count resets back to 1, but the grenade is still primed to explode after turn 12. So you have to wait until after turn 12 before it will detonate.

No, I'm not sure why a simple countdown timer wasn't implemented.

- NKF

The pulser was armed, but it did not explode because time went backwards for it. The grenade's turn-to-detonate field was set in the last mission after several turns had passed but it never got used. When the game switched to the next part, the grenade was still primed to explode after the same number of turns.

Ahhh, that explains it.. I'm lucky I didn't leave anyone on that floor that turn, I came pretty close with a couple different soldiers (Silencer included).

Really though, you probably shouldn't have been so focused on aborting and rather tried to kill all the aliens. I couldn't imagine many being left...

Yeah, looking back on it I should have just cleared it all, but at the time I thought I would still get all the loot (I think I remember hearing something like that with base assaults?) I figured there was no reason to continue on because I would get out of it was perhaps a few more lost men. It was a nice score to pad my month, but I'm really low on quality gear now.

Doesn't grenade timer starts counting only when on ground ?

No, grenades start their countdown as soon as you prime them. So you could prime one for 10 turns, shove it in your backpack or belt for 11 turns and it'll be fully "cooked" (aka timer at 0) when you pull it out to throw. (I believe a turn is defined to be a turn by one side. An X-COM primed 0 turn grenade will go off at the beginning of the aliens turn, but an X-COM primed 1 turn grenade will go off at the end of the aliens turn). Which reminds me, aliens always prime their grenades for 0 turns. No strategy there. :D

Thanks for the explanation NKF, totally forgot about the turn timer for grenades. ;)

- Zombie

Why don't you hire for now some engineers in HQ ? You should have done it few weeks ago and be mostly ready with armour.

I'm working on it with my Pacific base, just waiting for the workshop to finish. July was such a busy month it hasn't gotten too far, there's still around 20 days or so for it.

On a related manufacturing matter, notice in the last video how you had no more workspace to make the cannon clips. Each manufacturing topic has a minimum amount of workspace required. The more projects you are working on at the same time, the more workspace is needed. That reduces the number of engineers that can be assigned to the projects. Normally not a problem if you have plenty of workshop space, but can be an issue with the compact 1 workshop set up.

At this stage, getting a few more engineers to speed up the main base's workshop would help, but you would have to have all the engineers concentrate on a single job at a time to make the extra hands worthwhile.

Those two Tasoth in the darkness that caused you so much trouble at the end - I think an opening move with grenades would have proven to be a safer than to move in after them.

Also, you've been getting some good use out of the Thermal Shok Launcher. If you can, try to get the Shok launcher guys some Mag. Ion Armor, as an elevated shot dramatically improves the chances of hitting a ground target. Even if you miss, you'll be hitting the ground nearby thanks to the angle of the shot.

- NKF

But you can hire them in HQ have them work already and then transfer them when that's done.

At this stage, getting a few more engineers to speed up the main base's workshop would help, but you would have to have all the engineers concentrate on a single job at a time to make the extra hands worthwhile.

I was thinking I was full up in there, but I do have 2 projects going so you're right it did hog a bit of space. I just finished recording the next episode and after putting everyone onto the armor I was able to hire 4 more Engineers :) We'll get stuff done in no time!

you've been getting some good use out of the Thermal Shok Launcher. If you can, try to get the Shok launcher guys some Mag. Ion Armor, as an elevated shot dramatically improves the chances of hitting a ground target. Even if you miss, you'll be hitting the ground nearby thanks to the angle of the shot.

That's a good idea. I'm starting to really love that thing now, one shot lobster takedowns is impressive.

Bad luck on that grenade, but that's the risk taken when bunching up. To look on the bright side, now that you're slowly outfitting everyone with Mag Ion, you'll soon be able to avoid grenades by having everyone float off the ground. You can even entice aliens to waste their grenades by bunching up while off the ground. However that does make you a good target for shok bombs or DPLs. It's safer to spread out or elevate at different levels.

Don't forget you've still have that Gas Cannon gathering cobwebs in the Triton. If you need something quick to kill off any unconscious aliens, have one of the launcher guys carry it as a sidearm.

Definitely go for the Oscillator once you get the DPL ammo done. Alien Origins can wait until you've researched the Hammerhead.

Now for a few random tips:

Ion and Mag Ion Armor are pretty tough, but you've had a number of deaths with guys wearing these. Mainly from explosives, though I do want to point out that the deaths from sonic weapons were caused from shots to the side. That's because the sides are their weakest points. In fact, if you look at the stats, you can take more of a beating from the back! So watch the sides and try to approach corners from an angle rather than walking straight into them.

This may sound odd, but you can do a mid air (well, water) crouch. Though there's no unique graphic for it, the game allows it. The only difference in appearance is your indicator arrow will drop slightly, but you'll get all the same effects as is you were kneeling on the ground. You're a lot more exposed than if you were standing on an elevated surface, but it helps if there isn't one nearby.

If you pop out of the Triton hatch and raise up for a look around, keep in mind that you can't see what's on the other side of the ship this way. You can certainly shoot, but the roof seems to extend just too far that it prevents you from seeing what's on the other side unless you're standing on the edge. It's much more reliable to send someone around for a look.

- NKF

Bad luck on that grenade, but that's the risk taken when bunching up. To look on the bright side, now that you're slowly outfitting everyone with Mag Ion, you'll soon be able to avoid grenades by having everyone float off the ground. You can even entice aliens to waste their grenades by bunching up while off the ground. However that does make you a good target for shok bombs or DPLs. It's safer to spread out or elevate at different levels.

I really should have at least saved enough time for the commander to fly a step up, save his life and the armor. I knew a grenade was getting warmed up for me there, but I was hoping I had cleared enough distance by killing that lobster. Farewell another commander :(

Definitely go for the Oscillator once you get the DPL ammo done. Alien Origins can wait until you've researched the Hammerhead.

Ok, I kinda figured I'd start seeing a lot more larges before too long. It's starting to get later in the year.

Now for a few random tips:

Ion and Mag Ion Armor are pretty tough, but you've had a number of deaths with guys wearing these. Mainly from explosives, though I do want to point out that the deaths from sonic weapons were caused from shots to the side. That's because the sides are their weakest points. In fact, if you look at the stats, you can take more of a beating from the back! So watch the sides and try to approach corners from an angle rather than walking straight into them.

This may sound odd, but you can do a mid air (well, water) crouch. Though there's no unique graphic for it, the game allows it. The only difference in appearance is your indicator arrow will drop slightly, but you'll get all the same effects as is you were kneeling on the ground. You're a lot more exposed than if you were standing on an elevated surface, but it helps if there isn't one nearby.

If you pop out of the Triton hatch and raise up for a look around, keep in mind that you can't see what's on the other side of the ship this way. You can certainly shoot, but the roof seems to extend just too far that it prevents you from seeing what's on the other side unless you're standing on the edge. It's much more reliable to send someone around for a look.

- NKF

When I know someone may get shot I've been trying to keep them facing, I think my side deaths (at least the last 2) have been from unknown enemys. I'm really loving the armor though, it seems quite a bit stronger than the Flying Suits in UFO. It has saved many lives so far.

I've actually always wondered about crouching in mid air, and just assumed it was useless... I'll have to start using that.