Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

Grenade stacks are useful when you can't get a clear shot on them, which tends to happen a bit in volcanic terrain like this. Besides, even if you can't kill it, a wounded lobsterman is better than a healthy one.

Getting better on setting up the snipers. However I kept thinking that when you're shooting with a very accurate soldier that you may want to rely on an aimed shot rather than do a double snap. You've now got the numbers so you can afford it.

I'm still thinking you've been getting way too many Lobsterman missions. And checking the alien appearance ratios table, I now see why. June-July is quite a Lobsterman heavy month, at least as far as the more regular missions go. Hopefully you'll get a more even mix of races from mid August.

- NKF

Grenade stacks are useful when you can't get a clear shot on them, which tends to happen a bit in volcanic terrain like this. Besides, even if you can't kill it, a wounded lobsterman is better than a healthy one.

Sell them and upgrade your bases then.

I'm not sure if I can part with the grenade throwing just yet, it has served me so well against the Lobsters. Especially when stepping out of the craft and tossing them around for the first few turns. I have a bad habit of grouping up as I step out of the Triton and I'm always worried there will be a grenade to greet them.

Getting better on setting up the snipers. However I kept thinking that when you're shooting with a very accurate soldier that you may want to rely on an aimed shot rather than do a double snap. You've now got the numbers so you can afford it.

When I use the double snap I always seem to get at least one hit, at least that's been how it's been going so far. There's not some sort of extra damage modifier on the aimed shots that I don't know about is there?

I'm still thinking you've been getting way too many Lobsterman missions. And checking the alien appearance ratios table, I now see why. June-July is quite a Lobsterman heavy month, at least as far as the more regular missions go. Hopefully you'll get a more even mix of races from mid August.

My first Lobsterman mission was in March and it's been pretty consistently them since. I think I've had one Gillmen Terror site and 2 Tasoth crash sites since then, the Aquatoids haven't been around since Jan or Feb.

If you're interested, have a look at this page to see how the aliens make themselves available:

https://ufopaedia.org...e_Ratios_(TFTD)

It's really up to the RNG to decide what aliens show up, but Lobstermen do get some nice big numbers, which does explain why they are so prolific. The aquatoids on the other hand aren't as busy a race in comparison after the first couple of months. They do seem to like their resource raid missions though.

It's likely the other races may be busy elsewhere on the globe, so you might want to install a few more listening outposts. Also don't forget to put some research time into the Transmission Resolver when you get a chance.

When I use the double snap I always seem to get at least one hit, at least that's been how it's been going so far. There's not some sort of extra damage modifier on the aimed shots that I don't know about is there?

Nothing particularly exciting, just a funny way in how the probabilities work out for the Sonic Cannon depending on the aquanaut's accuracy level.

For new recruits with low to moderate accuracy, taking two snaps will perform better than a single aimed shot. However if the aquanaut is accurate enough that the aimed shot is close to 100%, then you are much better off aiming than taking two snaps if given the choice.

For example, a 74 accuracy aquanaut can do a 97% kneeling aim or two 68% kneeling snaps. The odds of hitting at least once with two 68% snaps is 89%. That's not bad actually, however the 97% aimed shot is much more reassuring if you're taking a long range shot. Once that improves to 100%, you'll just about hit every time on an unobstructed shot.

Sonic Cannon snapshots do make a really big comeback as your aquanauts starts reaching heroic accuracy levels. At 100 accuracy for example, kneeling snapshots are 92% accurate. At 109 accuracy, kneeling snaps are 100% accurate. Once you hit the training limit of 120 accuracy, you can do 96% standing snaps! Any aquanaut at this level will never need to use an aimed shot ever again. grin.gif

Of course, the numbers aren't everything. But it's some food for thought when you are deciding whether to take two snaps or one aimed.

- NKF

I'm not sure if I can part with the grenade throwing just yet, it has served me so well against the Lobsters. Especially when stepping out of the craft and tossing them around for the first few turns. I have a bad habit of grouping up as I step out of the Triton and I'm always worried there will be a grenade to greet them.

I wouldn't give up on the Sonic Pulsers yet (or ever for that matter, at least against Lobstermen). You can't shoot around obstructions, but you can certainly toss a pulser over it. You can't really shoot at an alien with it's back to you on the first round without drawing reaction fire, but tossing a pulser is safer and softens the alien up. (BTW, you had a chance to do that on your first turn, but messed it up. The first guy off the ship spotted an alien but ran back in. The second guy primed his pulser but didn't have enough TU to walk out of the ship and throw. What to do? Leave the first guy in place, let the second guy prime and throw to #1, and have #1 throw it and then run into the ship. Could have done this twice as the door is two tiles wide).

No damage modifier, but you are playing a game of dice with snap shots when accuracy is below 100%. Assuming NKF's example of a soldier with 68% FA and has a 89% chance of hitting with one shot. Well congratulations, you hit once but still wasted a perfectly good round with the miss. If you have snipers, have them take the sniper (aimed) shot with a very high probability of hitting. The only time I ever take snaps with the Sonic Cannon is when one of my troops can't make it back into cover, or doesn't have enough TU for an aimed. Save those missed rounds and take the guaranteed hit instead. ;)

This isn't like UFO Defense where the Heavy Plasma has the most rounds and an Auto Shot. With that, you spray and pray and usually hit once, then rinse and repeat. Here, you have a limited clip size and either a snap or aimed. Ammo conservation does play into this strategy as well as guaranteed damage. Aimed shots definitely aren't the preferred method to take down an alien as it requires a lot of TU, but it's what you have. :)

- Zombie

This isn't like UFO Defense where the Heavy Plasma has the most rounds and an Auto Shot. With that, you spray and pray and usually hit once, then rinse and repeat. Here, you have a limited clip size and either a snap or aimed. Ammo conservation does play into this strategy as well as guaranteed damage. Aimed shots definitely aren't the preferred method to take down an alien as it requires a lot of TU, but it's what you have. smile.png

I never really thought about it because it hasn't come up yet, but I can see clip sizes becoming an issue once I start getting into the larger subs.

I never really thought about it because it hasn't come up yet, but I can see clip sizes becoming an issue once I start getting into the larger subs.

You can always scavenge clips off the aliens as I'm sure you're aware. But running out when you are pinned down can be an issue, especially when the alien bodies are too far away or heavily defended. After a while clip size becomes essentially meaningless when your soldiers get better at shooting and when you get MC. In the interim, I still like to play it safe and conserve, wink.png

- Zombie

You can always scavenge clips off the aliens as I'm sure you're aware. But running out when you are pinned down can be an issue, especially when the alien bodies are too far away or heavily defended. After a while clip size becomes essentially meaningless when your soldiers get better at shooting and when you get MC. In the interim, I still like to play it safe and conserve, wink.png

- Zombie

I can see myself running out of ammo, just as I enter the craft and have 3 aliens looking at me ;)

Here's the second half to the Medium crash site...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM9mceq6oaw

Or if you use small squads. It's a pity you missed out getting the drills early on, those would have been a real boon and make the low ammo less of an issue. The Sonic Displacer will also be a great help thanks to it 100 rounds. It's a beast.

That triple lobster rush on one of the Doublecheese clones was the absolute best outcome. Not only because it got their DPL guy right up close to you, where it wouldn't be able to use it, you also got to shoot it down first. The last lobsterman standing was also carrying the Shok launcher, the safest of the three guns to be ending the turn next to - so you didn't have to panic and get everyone to shoot it. ;) If you look back on the footage, those kneeling shots with Simletir and Hatty were very,very,very risky as you had two guys standing in their line of fire.

Overall, with only the one casualty, that mission went very well.

- NKF

That drill could have come in real handy with all these Lobsterman missions I've been having. Too bad I was terrible and got owned by aquatoids early on wink.png

I think you're right about the Lobster surge at the end there saving me. Not only did it take the DPL guy out but it saved me from the deadly walk up the stairs.

If you look back on the footage, those kneeling shots with Simletir and Hatty were very,very,very risky as you had two guys standing in their line of fire.

Lol, I suppose those were pretty risky... It helps get the aquanauts heart pumping ;)

First off, you've got all the aliens you need to win the game. Tasoth Commanders are - let's say unnecessary. Or rather they should not even be able to appear in the game. If you do get one, please post a save here immediately! For now, research Alien Origins first, the Navigator next. Then wait until you have researched the Hammerhead before you finish off with the Commander so you can get the Leviathan as well. You can always capture another Lobsterman Commander later on if that's not enough.

For the mission, in addition to shooting off the doors, you now have the option of loading up the Thermal Shok launcher and firing a round inside the sub to either knock out or soften up its occupants after you've opened or destroyed the doors.

Now that you have Mag. Ion Armor, you can start setting up a dedicated sniper teams above the Triton rather than have to worry about finding good sniping spots. At least for underwater missions. You don't have this luxury on land until you get a Sonic Displacer.

You were going to hold off on the colony, but that Artefact Site has just about forced your hand. It's on the same level as a colony in difficulty, though not as many DPL users in the first part. Here's a tip: the final area you're looking for on the second part of the mission is a big black hall with a central elevator. In the area there are hidden alcoves above you with Tentaculats just waiting to ambush and zombify your team. Try to enter from as many different entrances as you can so everyone can cover each other. Good luck on that one.

- NKF

First off, you've got all the aliens you need to win the game. Tasoth Commanders are - let's say unnecessary. Or rather they should not even be able to appear in the game. If you do get one, please post a save here immediately! For now, research Alien Origins first, the Navigator next. Then wait until you have researched the Hammerhead before you finish off with the Commander so you can get the Leviathan as well. You can always capture another Lobsterman Commander later on if that's not enough.

I'm not sure why I was thinking I needed a Tasoth, I was sure I saw it on my chart to reveal T'leth, but I guess I'm just losing my mind cause I just rechecked unsure.png

For the mission, in addition to shooting off the doors, you now have the option of loading up the Thermal Shok launcher and firing a round inside the sub to either knock out or soften up its occupants after you've opened or destroyed the doors.

I didn't even think of that, probably a better idea than the tight cluster of snipers just waiting for a grenade plan.

You were going to hold off on the colony, but that Artefact Site has just about forced your hand. It's on the same level as a colony in difficulty, though not as many DPL users in the first part. Here's a tip: the final area you're looking for on the second part of the mission is a big black hall with a central elevator. In the area there are hidden alcoves above you with Tentaculats just waiting to ambush and zombify your team. Try to enter from as many different entrances as you can so everyone can cover each other. Good luck on that one.

Yeah, I have a feeling it's gonna be rough. I actually don't remember anything about the Artefact sites, I'm not sure if I've ever done one before, so I will take any tips you've got, the hall of Tentaculats does not sound like a good time...

Please, sell that remaining blastas... why do you even keep them ;(

Lol, you really have problem with those blastas don't you Silencer... I promise I'll get them sold eventually :)

Also you don't have to wait for MC Lab. Once you will have DPL, you can unleash fury barrage at the top floor of the main room and you will kill most of the MC aliens. The rest will be panicking long enough for you to kill them.

Awesome, I was never really a fan of the Psionics in UFO because it always seemed so OP. Besides, I would much rather blow everything up and take out all my Lobsterman aggressions that way.

Instead of selling the Sonic blasta rifles and Sonic Pistols, why not ship them off to the other base and arm the base garrison with them. They're still great weapons. At least, they would be if you were getting a larger variety of enemies. ;)

One tool down the MC path that I think you'll find quite useful is the MC Reader. You'll get to research this after the lab, and it doesn't need any lab training to use. Not as OP as being able to mind control enemies, but being able to gauge whether or not the enemy can reaction fire is a very handy ability to have.

- NKF

To the Artefact Site!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChPiklL4Vy0&index=34&list=PL3Hfqo2_KOlfab7oDz4abWcCLAgMAA8Y0

Instead of selling the Sonic blasta rifles and Sonic Pistols, why not ship them off to the other base and arm the base garrison with them. They're still great weapons. At least, they would be if you were getting a larger variety of enemies. wink.png

One tool down the MC path that I think you'll find quite useful is the MC Reader. You'll get to research this after the lab, and it doesn't need any lab training to use. Not as OP as being able to mind control enemies, but being able to gauge whether or not the enemy can reaction fire is a very handy ability to have.

- NKF

Yeah, the MC reader is pretty handy, and I don't think it qualifies as OP, just the mind control spamming.

I've forgotten about stocking that other base. There's been such a lack of activity over there I haven't paid much attention to it, I should get a few things moved over just in case, especially since the Indian Ocean just got popular apparently.

1. If you don't want to have night mission on those terror sites, you can always use the 30 minute tick trick to keep the site active until daylight. Upon 30 minute tick, your craft must be heading towards destination after 5 secs you can for example return to base or patrol and in 29:55 tick set it again.

Personally I don't use it, but I sometimes understand people who do it.

2. Does leaving unconscious units in 2 part mission will not count them as missing upon final report ? I think you didn't wake up Nook III and left him in the sub. Much safer would be to transfer him to the lift too. But probably NKF and Zombie will know for sure.

Also without DPLs that Tentaculats room will be frightening. Let's hope you will be mad grenade tosser, just like with lobsters.

I can't rightly remember what happens if you leave with stunned aquanauts on the first part of the mission, but I do know the game occasionally has some issues with stunned aquanauts when you win the final part. Crossing my fingers that the v2.0/v2.1 minimises this a bit, but it certainly cannot hurt to bring them back to the entrance area.

Seems the aliens were a bit kind this mission as they didn't have any Tentaculats in that big building. That's usually crawling with them. But it's good you got the Tasoth to start panicking, as that tends to break them a bit.

Speaking of panicking, if you find weapons left mysteriously on the floor as you go about, that's just an indication that one of the aliens had panicked and dropped its gun. In fact, early on you had an alien shooting in the darkness. That was one of them going berserk. The game doesn't always report every alien that panics or goes berserk. I think you are only alerted to the more severe cases.

- NKF

I was worried about him disappearing also, I threw him in the Triton hoping it would keep him around. I noticed when I hit the "Abort" it only showed 13 aquanauts and 0 outside so I didn't think he was going to make it, but he did. I checked on him afterwards and he was back in the base.

However, quite a bit of my gear did not come back. At the end of the second part (which I'll post tomorrow) I unequipped everyones clips and even grabbed a few extras but I'm now down to only 5 clips total, and no flares. Luckily I still have a collection of Blastas hanging around so I have something to use until I get more. ;)

However, quite a bit of my gear did not come back. At the end of the second part (which I'll post tomorrow) I unequipped everyones clips and even grabbed a few extras but I'm now down to only 5 clips total, and no flares. Luckily I still have a collection of Blastas hanging around so I have something to use until I get more. ;)

It's the result of being grenade throwing frenzy ;) You killed those lobsters and their equipment ;)

It's also the result of using the exit rather than completing the mission by killing all the aliens, as any equipment that was left on ground that's was not in the sub (or entry area in part 2) is left behind. You pretty much came back with what you were carrying or left in the sub and the game discarded your used clips.

Try to win the first part of a 2-parter mission by killing all the aliens if you can so that you at least have some things to bring home. Or if you really can't find that last alien, you can also conduct a manual retrieval of all weapons and corpses and load them in to the Triton. Anything to make a profit. ;)

- NKF