521 replies to this topic

#461 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:40 AM

Have anyone here made to T'leth without researching M.C. Lab? By the way. Nook please read this: http://ufopaedia.org...hp?title=T'leth specially end of description for Level 2. Pretty important to know.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#462 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostZombie, on 27 February 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

In reality, the detonation of the power source is responsible for what you see. It goes a bit deeper though. PS explosions do a somewhat random amount of damage from a min of 180 to a max of 250 to terrain. That is quite a big difference in damage potential. If you want to see some pics on this, I did research into this subject on the UFO Crash Recovery Talk Page on the X-COM Wiki (for UFO, but should also apply to TFTD as well). This randomness is why you see varying damage if you reload the game and visit a crash site over and over, not craft weapon damage potential. Posted Image

- Zombie

That's quite interesting.  I had always just assumed it was my fancy new guns doing massive damage to the ship.  I kinda liked it my way better :)

View PostNKF, on 27 February 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

Before you go to T'Leth, it might be a good idea to do a couple of missions to practice and get the hang of the drills.
Will do, I was about to ask about the differences between them and which was best to use.  I assume they're light enough to pack along in the backpack like a stun rod?  I'm actually quite eager to try them out, with all the Lobsterman killing hype they've been receiving.

Next part, everything's looking nice...

#463 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 03:49 PM

View Postsilencer_pl, on 27 February 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

Have anyone here made to T'leth without researching M.C. Lab? By the way. Nook please read this: http://ufopaedia.org...itle=T'leth specially end of description for Level 2. Pretty important to know.
Ah, thanks...  I'm trying not to learn too much about T'leth to make it a bit more fun for me, but the 25 man lift part is pretty important (if I somehow manage to make it there with no losses)

#464 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Yes, you'll often have to abandon any tanks at the end of level 2. That's not a big loss since you are forced to abandon any tanks in the entrance area of level 3 due to a 1 tile wide doorway. To give them passage you'd have to use up lots of DPLs, as there are tons of 1 tile doors.

The other need-to-know for T'Leth, is that the game requires you to destroy a series of scenery objects to complete the final level. Make sure you have some spare Sonic Cannon rounds, Pulsers or DPLs by the time you get to end of level 3.

This is from experience. I once completely ran out of sonic cannon ammo part way through the last level. Drills and shok bombs got me through to the end, but since neither of these weapons can destroy scenery, I had no way to end the mission. Posted Image

View Postsilencer_pl, on 27 February 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

Have anyone here made to T'leth without researching M.C. Lab?

It's quite possible. Since TFTD was my first experience at X-Com, I didn't even know the MC existed as an option for the player as I was unfortunate enough to strike the MC Reader bug that shut out all MC tech. It was quite a surprising find on my second play.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#465 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:52 AM

Well, I finished watching episodes 56&57 so here's some more comments (might not help with this playthrough as you are nearing the end it seems, but this could come in handy for Jagged Alliance or Silent Storm if you ever do those... *fingers crossed*). ;)

1) You broke Rule#1 in my book so badly it hurt. What is Rule#1? Secure the LZ and secure one side of the map. You kinda secured the LZ, but really dropped the ball in securing one edge of the map (in this case it was the west side, the side in back of the Triton). The crazy thing is, you were in a perfect position to do so as the Triton was midway between both corners. One group to the North, one to the South and a small group in the middle to hold that area in front of the ship. Now, when I say secure, I mean secure... you absolutely, positively have to search out those corners to make sure nothing is hiding there. Once all the black is revealed, then you can spread out a bit and start the advance to the opposite side of the map. The last thing you want is to miss an alien or allow one to slip behind your line and create havoc.

2) This is your favorite map in TFTD, but it's my least favorite, especially in the dark. There's just too much coral and multiple levels of it with tons of obstructions and cubbies for the aliens to hide in. Not only that, but the overhangs and constant navigation around cleared areas makes it a complete nightmare for shooting and throwing alike. Sure, it works in your favor too as the aliens have to deal with the same things, but my troops want more options than the aliens, not the same. Just be glad you had DPLs to take some of the sting out of it.

3) I'm glad you used the SWS to scout, but sending it too far out in front of your squad cuts it's lifeline. On open maps, having the SWS scout way far out there is viable as your troops can shoot or throw basically unhindered. But when there is so much garbage... urm "scenery" in the way, this makes it impossible for your SWS to have any backup in case it gets into trouble. In this instance you drove that SWS straight into uncharted territory and stirred up a real hornets nest of Lobstermen. You got really lucky when you parked it so near to the closest Lobsterman, as it (and his friend in the darkness) both missed their shots. How much do you want to tempt fate though? Moving it around got it killed, when there were 2 soldiers which had clear shots and could have killed it first. If that closest alien was killed, then the SWS could have drove ahead a bit to re-reveal that one in the dark. DPL him, then shoot with the SWS and he should have some pretty crappy FA if he survives. Or *gasp* retreat a bit until your soldiers could advance to help out. But you never retreat, do you? :(

4) You now proceeded to break my Rule#2 in TFTD, which is to completely clear the outside of the map before heading in the USO. (I honestly don't have many of these cardinal rules, but 1&2 are so important they should be commandments). I think you saw that entrance on the top level and got distracted, but those 3 guys up there didn't contribute much other than entering the USO. Meanwhile there were 4-5 Lobstermen running loose and picking off your men one at a time. The worst decision was to send a heavily wounded Jimmy to grab a Sonic Cannon on the ground when it was being heavily guarded by 2 Lobstermen. Back him off, take those guys who just cleared out the bridge and were sitting there picking their nose out of the ship to help. You seriously needed backup there, and having half your squad holed up in the USO doing nothing was a waste. Just be glad that Lobsterman didn't pop off his DPL, otherwise it could have turned out far worse. Posted Image

- Zombie

My X-COM Patch Kit For UFO Defense | Emergency XCOM Meeting spoof on YouTube

JellyfishGreen said:

Zombie: Empirical data's your only man, when formulating a research plan.
A soldier's death is never in vain if it makes the formula more plain.
A few dozen make a better case for refining that third decimal place.
They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,
of corpses, data points, and trials, but from the top - I'll see for miles!

#466 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:23 PM

I forgot to mention... Don't watch episode 57, Zombie  Posted Image

View PostZombie, on 28 February 2015 - 06:52 AM, said:

2) This is your favorite map in TFTD, but it's my least favorite, especially in the dark. There's just too much coral and multiple levels of it with tons of obstructions and cubbies for the aliens to hide in. Not only that, but the overhangs and constant navigation around cleared areas makes it a complete nightmare for shooting and throwing alike. Sure, it works in your favor too as the aliens have to deal with the same things, but my troops want more options than the aliens, not the same. Just be glad you had DPLs to take some of the sting out of it.

The obstructions are what I enjoy about this map style.  You can't simply stand on the Triton or fly to the top and shoot anything on the map.  It causes me grief but makes for some very interesting combat (pop around corners/ duck behind walls).  It's similar to the reason I enjoy terror sites (even though I'm kinda terrible at them), it adds some variety to the game and forces different tactics.

#467 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:01 AM

Wouldn't terror missions be fun in Russia during WWII? I do. Stalin would be all like....well X-COM you killed 32,000 of our people...but hahaha I would of done it myself but you saved me some time and you stopped the alien menace.

-NoX
"If you win it's just a game, but if you lose it's a complete waste of time"

-Al Bundy (Married With Children)

#468 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:45 AM

Stalin would rather sign a pact with aliens to send body parts in exchange for some plasma guns. It didn't take too much time for Stalin to "kill" someone, because all he did was sign a document. In fact he was enjoying it so much that sometimes he shouted, why he was given so few.

#469 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

That's true. Same thing with George W. Bush. He sent naive kids into Iraq thinking their lives mattered. Ha, jokes on them.

#470 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:53 PM

Back to the base attack, hoping to fend off swarms of lobsters with my shabby crew

#471 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

This is not Stanil - this is Stalin.

#472 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:06 AM

You must admit, even when damaged, the Displacer's a beast. If you get some spare engineer downtime, it might be worth building a second one for Pacman.

That alien sub that zipped by suddenly was a sub you had already detected. Probably the same one the Barracuda was chasing. What happens is that the game only reports new alien subs that are detected. Once found, alien subs can usually drop in and out of sonar detection without raising a message.

You might be able to reduce some of your shok bomb usage now that you're adding drills to the mix, especially for indoor combat. T'Leth is mostly indoors. Still, see how you go.

If you're wondering what to research next, I suggest putting all your researchers on the MC lab and then on the MC Reader. You don't need to build the lab, but you need to get its research out of the way just to get to the MC Reader. They are great for assisting drillers check if an alien can reaction fire. Not an issue if you're sneaking up from the side or rear but definitely one if it's staring right at you.

View PostNoX, on 02 March 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

That's true. Same thing with George W. Bush. He sent naive kids into Iraq thinking their lives mattered. Ha, jokes on them.

I never did understand the concept of black comedy. It usually just gives me the morbs.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#473 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

View PostNKF, on 03 March 2015 - 06:06 AM, said:

You might be able to reduce some of your shok bomb usage now that you're adding drills to the mix, especially for indoor combat. T'Leth is mostly indoors. Still, see how you go.
This next mission I test out a couple drills, I have a new favorite weapon :)  

You must admit, even when damaged, the Displacer's a beast. If you get some spare engineer downtime, it might be worth building a second one for Pacman.
It pretty much saved the day there.  Is it true that if all the soldiers die then the mission is over, whether a tank is around or not?  For some reason I seem to remember losing a mission when I still had a tank around.

Nabbing a final supply ship...

#474 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,392 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:30 PM

It pretty much saved the day there.  Is it true that if all the soldiers die then the mission is over, whether a tank is around or not?  For some reason I seem to remember losing a mission when I still had a tank around.

I think it's quite the opposite. You cannot start a battle without a soldier, but a lone tank can survive the battle.

#475 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:09 PM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 03 March 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Just double checked in EU - equipped a craft with one soldier and a HWP. Got the soldier killed and the mission didn't end. Ran the HWP around paying hide-and-seek with the last alien for a few rounds just to make sure the mission wouldn't end on the round after the soldier was killed and all went fine. I aborted with the HWP in the craft just fine too. Posted Image

View Postsilencer_pl, on 03 March 2015 - 04:30 PM, said:

I think it's quite the opposite. You cannot start a battle without a soldier, but a lone tank can survive the battle.

You can send a lone tank into battle just fine. There's no reason you need an actual soldier present (exception: base defense mission). My HWP killed all the aliens on the map just fine by itself and the mission ended normally. Posted Image

- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

They call me Zombie because I don't sleep, as I slowly struggle to climb this heap,

#476 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

Compared to the last supply ship assault, you seem to be doing a far better job clearing the outside area in the dark.

I quite like the design of the supply ship. It makes you feel more like you're assaulting a fortress rather than an alien submarine. The tendency for the aliens in the command centre to be minimally armed has nothing to do with it. ;)

- NKF

#477 Nookrium

Nookrium

Blaster Bomb Bait

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:08 PM

Those drills are absolutely fantastic, it would have been nice to have had them several months ago ;)

#478 Zombie

Zombie

Mr. Grognard of X-COM

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,547 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

View PostNeptunesNookGames, on 04 March 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

Those drills are absolutely fantastic, it would have been nice to have had them several months ago Posted Image

Yep, the drills really are quite handy against Lobstermen and the occasional high-HP terror unit... especially in close quarters combat situations. Well, it looks like you have all the drills researched now so that means it's decision time. Do you want to be more mobile, be able to get into areas quickly and dish out decent damage? Or are you more after taking it slow and careful and putting down insta-kill bursts of damage? Normally, this decision is made for my soldiers by this point, but for you, it's still kinda questionable which weapon is the better choice. MY feeling is that the Heavy Thermic Lance will probably be better overall as your soldiers really haven't trained melee much. No worries about this though, if you don't have enough for everyone, the Vibroblade is still excellent. I did some research into the drills a while back here, so it may be interesting to check that out. :)

Anyhow, you're off to T'Leth, so good luck. My best advice is to arm to the teeth, ration your ammunition in the first two parts and go for broke in the third. Take it easy and try not to rush too much. If you make it through a part here's a small checklist to make sure you're ready.
  • Rest up. Exhaustion carries between levels, so make sure everyone is up to full Stamina.
  • Heal up. There's nothing worse than entering a level with a soldier bleeding out.
  • Load up. Reload your weapons with fresh clips.
  • Clean up. Move scavenged weapons/clips to soldiers who can use it.
- Zombie

JellyfishGreen said:

#479 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:13 AM

As a small addendum to the stats presented in that discussion thanks to new information obtained a little later, TFTD uses the 50% - 150% damage roll instead 0 -200%. That doesn't affect the findings much.

If you haven't yet launched the T'Leth mission by the next video, don't forget to build a few extra Vibroblades so you can arm more of your troops with them. Or just fill the gaps with the other drills. You've already seen how fast the basic drill is, with each attack costing 10% of your TUs.. The other two are 15% and 20% respectively, so they're all quite quick.

That disoriented lobsterman that jumped out of the command centre really got quite a reception. You don't get to see reaction shots in this game as much as you do in UFO, but the few you get can sometimes be spectacular. If they work, of course. Posted Image

The Dreadnought scouting for your base was a bit of an anomaly. Normally the wave starts with smaller ships and increase in size if you are successful at shooting down each one in succession. They gradually use bigger ships until Dreadnoughts  are sent out just to scout. It will not attack your base, but if it's successful then another Dreadnought will appear later to attack the base.

- NKF

#480 ñΩxicity

ñΩxicity

Resident Åsshole

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:40 AM

Nah, all you need is like 4 aquanauts. Fill the rest of the ship with displacers. Whether they are sonic or PWT. The sonic displacers can break through walls. And NO that is NOT a spoiler. Dude, Mike, take like 3 cuts, use mine as the official suggestion and see how easy it is. Haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users