Let's Play X-Com: Terror from the Deep

Nookrium

I'm game, not really sure how a co-commentary ep would work though...

A Skype call with the game cast live on Twich tv would do the trick in getting everything together. Though I'm not sure how much fun it would be for you to have a couple of back-seat commanders nagging at you for half an hour. grin.gif

You'd think with all the help I would do a better job of keeping the aquanaut Zombie alive happy.png Speaking of, would you (Silencer) or NKF like an aquanaut counterpart?

Not me, but the completely fictional Mr. Doublecheese wouldn't mind joining.

- NKF

Why not Mr. Doublecheeseburger ?

:D

All I can say is that all deaths were painless. ;) Glad to have you aboard, Silencer!

A call from Nirvana?

A Skype call with the game cast live on Twich tv would do the trick in getting everything together. Though I'm not sure how much fun it would be for you to have a couple of back-seat commanders nagging at you for half an hour.

YT also has live stream, but simple skype call would suffice

I was rather defensive about this, seeing extremely low life expectancy of aquanauts (I'm looking at you Mr. Space Voyager 7(?)) But what the hell I can join.

That's the spirit!

Welcome aboard Silencer & Mr. Doublecheese, you will make fine sacrifices warriors.

Neptune, you should really make a soldier of your own too. One big happy bug-hunting family! banana.gif

Hmm... I don't know about that, I've seen the way I play ermm.gif

Well, seems you can handle a single Lobsterman just fine Neptune (and yes, only one alien ever shows up on the smallest ship). ;)

I'm really perplexed why you consider that alien colony good. Yes, it gets resupplied on a regular basis so you can "farm" (I use this term loosely in TFTD) it for alien corpses, Zrbite, plastics and weapons, but I wouldn't go "counting me lucky charms" until I know what alien race inhabits the colony. If it's Lobstermen, you might as well ignore it and the supply ships until you have a squad which can deal with it. Aquatoids and Gillmen I'd consider ok for farming as there isn't going to be MC involved. However, the later stage supply ships start having aliens toting DPL's which can be a shock to the system. To balance that out though, you can start getting Thermic and Heavy Thermic Lances and also Thermal Shok Launchers (plus solve all your ammo problems now that you almost have all the alien sonic weapons researched). :)

- Zombie

Well I definitely wouldn't say the colony is "good", but, since there's no longer a need to keep the US happy if I can grab a supply ship or two that will help out quite a bit. That's of course as long as it's aquatoids or gillmen, if there's lobstermen there then i won't be able to do anything about it until I can get better gear.

Quick way to find out what you're dealing with is to either catch the supply ship (maybe not so easy since it takes off so soon) or to just jump into the base and have a quick look around then abort. ph34r.png

The wiki claims aliens always send out supply craft at 0:30 on the dime (at least for EU, hopefully it's the same for TFTD). If that's the case, just send your transport out a little before this so that it's over the colony when it arrives. Wouldn't hurt to stagger the interceptors and have them patrol a little bit to make sure. ;)

- Zombie

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about the pop-in pop-out trick. That will help me figure out whether those supply ships are worth the hunt at the moment.

Another question, since the Euro & Arabia are unhappy with me, is it worth it to put another base around there to grab some USOs? I'm quite poor at the moment but I can't afford to lose many more funders since the U.S. is gone. And if so, is there and ideal place to put a base to cover both of those? There's not a lot of sea in the Mediterranean but it could easily cover quite a lot of regions.

Oh! One more, speaking of money. I think it would be wise to start manufacturing things specifically to sell. I remember seeing a page somewhere that shows the best profit makers but I can't recall where it was. Are Guass Pistols (like laser pistols in UFO) a good profit maker?

Just remember the colony itself isn't an indication of the alien species that established it. Colonies in TFTD have fixed types of enemies. It's predominantly Tasoth on the sea floor level, and the interior level is predominantly Lobstermen. You will have to visit the supply ship directly to find out.

As for the DPLs that will be on them - yes, they can be quite nasty. However this also makes them a good source of free DPLs for you to capture. Got to look on the bright side!

AS for cover -it's always good to get good coverage even if the countries are no longer funding you. Any work you do in their territory will be noticed by the neighbours, and it still counts towards your total end-of-month performance. Placing a base smack in the middle of the ocean so you can easily reach Africa Corp, the Arabian Block, Asian Coalition and Australiasia would be quite handy.

- NKF

Another question, since the Euro & Arabia are unhappy with me, is it worth it to put another base around there to grab some USOs? I'm quite poor at the moment but I can't afford to lose many more funders since the U.S. is gone. And if so, is there and ideal place to put a base to cover both of those? There's not a lot of sea in the Mediterranean but it could easily cover quite a lot of regions.

I wouldn't worry about the Euro-Syndicate or the Arabian Bloc right now. You just put in a base in the South China Sea and bases cost a lot of money to build & maintain. Putting in yet another base would simply stretch your funds even more. Even if you had the funds to spare, there is the issue of coverage. TFTD country zones are a complete nightmare to cover completely, check out this map:

https://www.ufopaedia.org/images/5/51/WorldMap_CountryZones_TFTD.png

Sure, you could plop a base down in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, but unfortunately it'll only cover a few blocks for the Euro-Syndicate, Arabian Bloc and Egyptian Cartel. Depending on placement, you may be able to get more (or all) blocks of the Euro-Syndicate under your radar umbrella. I always found the Strait of Gibraltar appealing. Like NKF said though, good performance in one area rubs off on the neighboring countries.

It's funny to note that your first base is actually in New Mexico and not the USA. Well, I guess it's not that funny now that you lost the USA's funding. Something to think about for your next Let's Play of TFTD. wink.png

Oh! One more, speaking of money. I think it would be wise to start manufacturing things specifically to sell. I remember seeing a page somewhere that shows the best profit makers but I can't recall where it was. Are Guass Pistols (like laser pistols in UFO) a good profit maker?

Check out this table in the X-COM wiki, and sort by profit/hr. For what you have available to produce right now from research, it looks the the Particle Disturbance Sensor is your best bet. Ultimately, you'll want to aim for the Gauss Cannon as it'll give you nearly twice the profit/hr and you'll realize a complete payback in about a month.

Just remember the colony itself isn't an indication of the alien species that established it. Colonies in TFTD have fixed types of enemies. It's predominantly Tasoth on the sea floor level, and the interior level is predominantly Lobstermen. You will have to visit the supply ship directly to find out.

Good point, it totally slipped my mind that the colonies have "scripted" alien occupants. blush.png

- Zombie

https://www.ufopaedia.org/images/5/51/WorldMap_CountryZones_TFTD.png

Man, I needed that map earlier! I think I'm happy with base 2's spot though. My home base really is pretty terrible.

Check out this table in the X-COM wiki, and sort by profit/hr. For what you have available to produce right now from research, it looks the the Particle Disturbance Sensor is your best bet. Ultimately, you'll want to aim for the Gauss Cannon as it'll give you nearly twice the profit/hr and you'll realize a complete payback in about a month.

Ahh, there it is!

Ok, so much for the "pop-in" plan sad.png

Something to think about for your next Let's Play of TFTD. wink.png

Next time will be with OpenXcom, they seem to be moving pretty well towards TftD

Actually the zerbte was blown due to USO being shot down. The corner of the USO that was blown was were the engine was, so all that caution was for nothing. You should go to file sections and download the fixes for very small and small cruiser fixes.

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/tftd-uso-fix/

https://www.strategycore.co.uk/files/tftd-uso-routes-fix/

I don't think patch 2.1 fixes that.