Let's Play X-Com: UFO Defense (side discussion)

NKF

Well, only the correct encoding can help you there. Doing the vids for SotS AARs I did almost everything by trial and error, but I basically have no real knowledge on vids. You learn a bit here and a bit there, but unless you really do some research, it is tweaking manually and looking at the result... I do remember that Thor learned more about vid making in a day than I did in all my AAR time, so perhaps he could give you a more educated advice.

Excellent! Anticipate some "comments" on some of your vids.;)

I'd certainly like to try my hand at a Let's Play one day. Still have to figure out how to get a 15 minute video down from 512mb...

- NKF

That depends at what cost you want it to achieve. You can buy for example DXTory and try using this. There are plenty of guides how to use it. Also depending which GPU you have. If NVidia, go with Shadowplay - it can record anything up to FHD resolution @ 60FPS and 50Mbps. It's using H.264 codec and it's done on GPU level so no performance hit. My 40 minutes videos generally took between 2-6GBs. If you are on AMD side, you could use either Game DVR (couldn't make it work) or MSI Afterburner and use AMD codec which is also H.264 that works on GPU level, with same settings as above. You really don't need 60FPS, so that reduces the size, and reducing the resolution will also reduce the file weight.

I use Xsplit, which compresses as it records. So I don't have to deal with the mega size files that Fraps would make. I haven't tried it with a newer game though so I'm not sure how well my PC would be able to handle it, for these oldies I've been doing it works great.

I've been working with Bandicam. It does cost US$39 to license for one computer, but does compress as it records and I've found it easy enough to use so far.

I guess I'll need to experiment a bit and work out the sweet spot between the FPS and resolution.

- NKF

Thought I'd split this off the main thread so as to not detract from the intent of the original post.

I've done some more fiddling and seem to have managed to knock my file size down a bit with the help of an external codec. Not quite there yet, but better than where I started. I think part of the problem may have been the amount of on-screen smoke particles, I had quite a lot in the test mission I was using to record.

- NKF