Modding Apocalypse so it's really hard/impossible

RCy

Is there a way to modify apocalypse so it's really really hard?

I was a bit dissappointed that when I killed all the alien craft in the alien dimension, none of them respawned (I was also annoyed that I didn't get a massive invasion from the aliens like I did in my first game).

Is it just me or that the fact that toxin guns completely avoid personal shields make the game so much easier? Is there a way to modify the game so that toxin guns damage shields, maybe the same amount as a law pistol?

I also wouldn't mind there being more aliens per mission either.

I would also like to see more alien attempts at levelling the city earlier on in the game and these attempts with even more aliens ships.

Sure the game is quite hard the first time round, but the 2nd time even on superhuman, I found it a lot easier when I knew what I was doing. I have to admit, I do reload the game, but I kinda get attached to agents when they've survived dozens of combat missions.

Okay that's my wishlist done :blink:

If the toxiguns are too easy, just don't use them. Go for the lawpistols like you mentioned.

If the aliens aren't going to provide challenge by getting stronger. Provide the challenge yourself and make yourself weaker.

Don't use shields, teleporters, or new craft to defend your city. Just go with Valkyries for air support, fit your men with Marsec armor and duel lawpistols, and don't give your psionic soldiers any weapons beyond the mind bender.

There, problem solved.

The toxigun has always been way to powerful. Reduce their usage and use more direct attack weapons, like plasma guns, devestator cannons and autocannons with AP shells.

Want more aliens? Go with less soldiers. Two to three soldiers on superhuman is often a good challenge. Or if you're up to it, a solo android (recommended only at the start of the campaign and in the later stages once you've got shields and teleporters - it's harder in between). It's possible, and it's amazing how you end using evasive moves and letting some aliens escape (this is not as bad as you might think - they'll just die off in a few hours) just to win some battles.

Here's one of my favourite more recent challenges: Go with an all-android team (stick with humans until you can hire enough androids) and limit your offensive weapons to AP grenades, stun grenades, power swords and stun grapples. It's amazing the sort of team-work you end up using because no one android is dominant, and the reduced weapon ranges really gets you thinking. It really enhanced my gameplay and strategy in general so I'd recommend trying it just for fun.

By the way, as for the UFOs in the alien dimension: They do respawn. But only on monday mornings and only if one of the alien buildings is not destroyed. I think it was the command centre, or whatever that big red flat mushroom building is called. I think it's the one right after the maintenance factory.

As for attacks on the city itself: Events that happen in the city are selected at random by the game every day. If you're not satisifed with the outcome of any given day, reload to the beginning of the day and go through it again. Also the type of missions that may happen is determined by many factors. Availablity of UFOs for UFO Apocalypse raids, Overspawn drops or just your standard troop insertion/micronoid rain run is of course paramount. Doing very well seems to incite more Apocalypse raids (Aliens go amok, send in their big guns and just blow up one or two targets (usually belonging to your allies) in the city). Attacks from rival organisations depends on you actually having enemies that are really fed-up with you. Note that the state of the company's funds has nothing to do with determining raids.

Blah blah blah, yackity yak. I'll stop now. :blink:

- NKF

Thanks for the tips although other than the anti toxin gun usuage, I kinda feel cheated for using less powerful methods of killing aliens.

I've decided to limit myself to disrupter guns at most and earth tech (no toxin guns of course) and to only have explorer craft as fighting units (which have the same amount of room as hawks).

Still I'd rather have more aliens to kill by modification than weakening my own forces :blink:

Oh, well, Look at it this way, weakening your weapons against normal aliens is pretty much the same thing as leaving your weapons the same but strengthening the aliens. Same thing, in a way.

As for the Explorers - You can wipe out the entire alien fleet with a small number of them. Not as easily as the Annihilators, but it makes you use your head.

The onlydownside is their limited shield space. The Hawk has 4x4 module space, but the Explorer only has 4x3. It's not that bad considering all the plusses the Explorer has over the Hawk, but it would've been nice to have that 400 extra rechargeable hitpoints.

- NKF

I found the tactical missions a lot harder without toxin guns, Although I was still able to kill aliens with disrupter guns! It got really hard and annoying when the aliens used entropy guns when I still hadn't researched energy shields yet!

Even now though, I'd still like the number of aliens to be increased per mission :blink:. I'd especially like the UFOs to start attacking the city, but then again I guess that ruins the aspects of politics, and makes all companies allied to me.

As I posted in the other thread, I made myself, the toxigun bigger (3x1), heavier and a bit more accurate (just a little bit more). Also I made the disrupton gun smaller (3x1), altering in all cases the pictures of the equipment screen to fit the new sizes more logically.

If you want a challenge, make the disruptor cannon (used by them) more accurate and/or with a higher ROF. If more challenge is wanted, a more powerfull dimension missile is the way. It seems the aliens like to use them "in mass" against you.

Greetings

Alex