Are there only two random mission sites per region?

I've just started playing S3, although I have rather a lot of S2 experience, and it appears that there are only two random mission sites per region? This seems peculiar, since the design team already had the data for so many "random" areas left over from S2. I did add the Polish Randoms mod, which has given a little variety (and some nice equipment drops), but I'm wondering if the "random" encounters in this game are somehow scaled to the size and total experience of the team. It does get a bit dull running the same two areas over and over again.

And a second question occurs to me: I have run across what appears to be a random mission bug, as there is an area in Germany to the right of the LZ that is only one square in size and contains no enemies. Now, I'm using two mods at present, the Uniform mod and the Polish Encounter mod. I don't know if either of them causes this or if it is a known feature. I read that the notorious "Bank Robbery Encounter" is also supposed to

pop up to the right of the LZ, which makes me wonder if this has been broken somehow by either mod.

-- Mal