Long War at UFOPaedia

Hobbes

I've been having a discussion at the Nexusmods forums regarding the possibility of having a subwiki hosted at the UFOPaedia for the Enemy Unknown (2012)'s Long War mod under Featured Projects.

This is a mod that has been in development for the past two years and has been highly praised by gaming magazines and even EU's developers and the beta for Long War 3 (compatible with Enemy Within) has just been released. It expands a ton of features like Air Combat, the strategic AI, classes/abilities/equipment, in some cases making it more close to the original game (having several Alien Bases, aliens conducting infiltration missions, alien leaders, etc.)

What does the community think?

Seems like a stretch, but on that note, we've been hosting UFO2000's wiki so why not. wink.png

- Zombie

I've been following Long War at Nexusmods since it started and participated in a few discussions regarding its features and IMO it is more akin to OpenXcom in the dimension of the changes added by it. I wouldn't agree to host a mod that only adds a new country to EU2012 or just reworks the class system but with Long War it has gotten to a point where the number of changes has people on the 2K, Reddit and Nexusmods forums calling out for a wiki to detail them to help developing strategies specifically for Long War. I think this is an opportunity to keep UFOpaedia current with the latest X-Com trends and we already have a lot of the resources available (images, tables, nav bars) available so we're also giving a hand to everyone.

I have just a simple question. Does installing Long War, breaks Multiplayer ?

Quoting from the installation notes:

• This mod will overwrite several game files and likely render multiplayer unplayable until you uninstall.

A shame, though I am wondering whether to install the current EW beta or wait for the final release.

Getting multiplayer to work with LW will always be an issue since you need to insure that both players have the same version of the game and even then the multiplayer system will need to be rebalanced (costs, etc.) not to mention some of the LW new mechanics may not be useable. It's simply a lot of work and I wouldn't expect for it to be a priority at the moment.