Apoc...with badass rockets

SheaTastic87

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't played the game for a random time that could be up to a year, but I'm fairly certain that even a slightly wounded troop will melt when under the affects of entropy.

I suppose I have to test it now. :blink:

With any luck, I have some save games archived.

Well, you're at risk of losing the armour anyway, so dropping it just saves a step. :blink:

The main risk when you're running about without any armour is that you can get shot and receive absolutely no damage reduction. This can be plenty painful with devestator cannons. Additional entropy missiles will sting a lot more too. On the other hand, even if you are sustaining continual damage from the enzyme, your armour will not stop the health loss. It'll suffer even more.

Okay, so disrobing in the middle of a firefight is BAD. We've got to be sensible about these things. :)

But if you can get to a safe area and there's not too much fighting going on you might as well remove your armour and wait till the enzyme wears off. It's not very long. In turn based, it's roughly one turn. In real-time... eh, I've forgotten, but it doesn't take too long. If you dropped your armour, you will be able to pick it up again. If you're healthy enough, you can also choose to leech a fresh disrupter shield off a friend and get right back into the battle. If you just let your armour get eaten, well, you can still get back into the battle if you wanted. Just as long as your shields hold you'll do fine. But mitigating the damage helps.

- NKF

I dunno how it works in turn based. But in real time, it's definitely a bit dangerous to remove your armor. Because the enzyme has to feed on something, I'd rather it eat up all my armor rather than my soldier. Armor can be replaced, a good soldier can't. In turn based, the weapon may only be limited to eating away armor... But I've lost more than a few guys to entropy missiles that managed to eat away enough armor and still had enough juice in the enzymes to kill the guy.

A good strategy for that is to simply run as fast as you can to the nearest exit, so you can save as much of your armor as you can. If you still want to stay and fight, then it's a good idea to run behind some good cover, let the enzyme wear off, then try to mooch a shield or something off of a dead alien or a comrade with an extra. Or take your chances and attempt to fight without the lost armor. Another entropy missile will likely kill the guy, so that's why I recommend simply getting him the hell outta there.

It must be an exploit then. Because everytime my guy loses all his armor and has nothing left for the enzymes to eat away at, he goes down pretty fast. It must be one of the ridiculous differences between turn based and real time styles. (Probably put this one right up there with the difficulty of brain suckers...)

Ah, I see now - the entropy has to eat through all of a soldier's items before it will eat HIM.

I always dropped everything instantly, then bailed. I lost no equipment that way, and odds are in favour the troop will survive (providing there are no grenades around)...

During the downtime, I ran a few tests in Apocalypse. The only soldier to die from the entropy missile while not wearing or carrying anything died because of critical wounds rather than the enzyme itself. Hey, you cannot hold a medikit when the entropy enzyme is in effect. It just gets eaten. :blink:

Also note: Have you ever seen your soldier explode after being hit by an entropy missile? That's your grenades going off. Very nasty if it's a vortex mine - one of the only explosives in the game that doesn't care about X-Com disrupter armour. It's worse still if you're not wearing any disrupter pants!

I suggest everyone run a few experiments to be absolutely sure. Just grab an entropy launcher and go in on a raid, but set everyone to not attack everything. Then run your experiments on an armoured unit and an unarmoured unit.

Doh. Come to think of it, why didn't I time the enzyme effect? Must remember to do that next time.

- NKF

I've never seen my guy explode. But I know for a fact, because it's happened to me dozens of times, that entropy causes health to degrade when the armor goes. (It could also happen when there are no items left, I never checked.)

But I'm also dead sure it happens from the first hit, which takes down the armor/shields first, as opposed to being hit and recieving a critical hit without armor.

Have you tried it on a real time game? I would try it myself if I wasn't confined to XP for a while...

Oh, the impact damage you get from the missile when your shields fizzle out will always do some sort of damage. Armour definitely minimises or neutralises this damage. Direct damage to your health always has a small chance of causing critical wounds.

It's the secondary effects, when the enzyme is on you and starts damaging the durability level of all items in your inventory, that's when armour has no effect whatsoever. Further impact damage from the missile will sting quite a bit when you're running around in your default jumpsuit.

- NKF

Well, I just had to go and run a few tests.

By the way: In Real Time Combat entropy effects last for 3 game seconds That's quite a long time on the ultra slow time elapse mode! In turn based it lasts 1 turn.

I ran a few test with soldiers all having 100 health (had plenty of these in one of my older savegames). Most of them disrobed and removed all their equipment - though I did miss a few.

Here's what I got. The first number is where the health was at when the entropy effects started after taking away the impact damage, the next number is after it stopped. Most of these are for unarmoured soldiers with no equipment unless noted.

81/100 - 81/100

75/100 - 64/100 (toxigun + clips blew up)

88/100 - 88/100

31/100 - 0/100 (Didn't quite last the 3 seconds. Forgot to remove clips and a grenade)

100/100 - 100/100 (wore full disrupter armour - armour severely damaged at the end)

82/100 - 82/100

89/100 - 89/100

78/100 - 78/100

84/100 - 84/100

100/100 - 100/100 (all X-Com armour again - armour survived but horribly mangled)

80/100 - 80/100

From the above, the only units to lose any health while the enzyme was in effect were the ones that were carrying live ammo.

I could probably go on and take a much larger sample, but I don't think it's really necessary. Even if you do take continuous damage, it'll be a rare enough occurance that it would pay to remove your armour and equipment rather than let it rot away.

- NKF

Curious... Toxigun ammo never really harmed my troops ever before. (I know this because I can recall more than one occasion where a soldier was mind controlled holding a toxigun, but I never had to worry about him.) How did the bursting ammo hurt him?

Also, if the ammo being shot is the case, then I definitely see merit in keeping the armor on. Since it would have to eat up the armor before getting to the ammo. Only other alternative is to drop EVERYTHING, and that's only safer if the said soldier is behind sufficient cover to get away.

Have you tried it on a real time game? I would try it myself if I wasn't confined to XP for a while...

What has that to do with it? I have XP and play real-time. IF you were talking about Windows, naturally...

DAMN, guys, you sure have taken a scientific approach to finding out every little detail about this game. I have forgotten a lot, but I'm making it up really fast!

Enthropy launcher is most likely the purple "pistol" with a balls(nuts)-like ammo I've taken from the aliens yesterday (but haven't researched yet). Luckily my front-men wore energy shields so nothing happened to them.

What has that to do with it? I have XP and play real-time. IF you were talking about Windows, naturally...

It has everything to do with it. Apocalypse does not work in XP.

toxiguns DO kill...as long as you don't have armour. you can reenact thebrainsucker anomaly by flying over a unit, then removing your torso unit. if you run after you get hit by entropy and drop everything, nothing happens.

I guess I can't argue until I can get the game to work. But I'm pretty sure that entropy enzymes can still hurt... Though the bullet theory sounds like the most rational.

It has everything to do with it. Apocalypse does not work in XP.

uh.... about that... i play Apocalypse just fine in XP... i just cant get the sound to work :blink:

I play Apocalypse under Windows XP no problem - sound included! VDMsound will help you with that IF you set the sound card to Soundblaster 220/7/1.

Links to everything;

https://www.xcomufo.com/x3faq.html - try this one, VERY good descriptions.

https://www.xcomufo.com/x3dl.html - this is the download site - NOT TO THE GAME, just the extras that help it to work...

Oh, and one of my men was hit by an ethropy louncher. He started smoking so I (thank you here) dropped all he had and ran him out of the map. This way not even his armour (except left arm) got eaten away.