Coelacanth/Gauss ammo bug fix for the dos version of tftd

Prrsha

I currently have the dos floppy version of tftd (patched to version 2.1). I love using the coelacanth/gauss SWS but I am plagued with the inherent bug in tftd that makes you lose all of your gauss ammo when you unload the SWS. I don't have the CE version, just the dos one. Can a kind soul direct me to a patch that just fixes this bug alone? Or better yet move the SWS in the research tree to where it's counterpart is (the laser tank) in Ufo:eu? Right when you finish heavy gauss tech? I cannot use extender because it doesn't work in straight dos... :/

Just fixing the reload bug would be a major fix for me however. I've been a fan of the series when I 1st got my 486 PC. Any help would be greatly appreciàted, thanks! :)

Tycho mentioned he spoke to you and explained the SWS Gauss bugs are too hard for XcomUtil to fix, because it just does data file changes and simple patches. Best to use the Windows version and Tycho's loader (TFDExtender). If you really must play the DOS version, try the XcomUtil mod option "remove clips for Gauss weapons". This makes them behave like Lasers. I am not sure, but this may also affect the SWS Gauss - try it. Good luck, and good on you for persevering with an often ignored sub weapon!

I meant an often ignored SWS weapon, sorry.

I don't have the steam version as I love my midi card on my old rig with the game, so I am limited to dos. I shall try the fix you mentioned but it would effect all gauss weapons like the rifle. Fixing the SWS is a trade off I can live with however. If only extender worked in dos my problems would be solved. The odd thing is that in version 1.0 of tftd, the tank had no ammo but the weapons did. The devs changed that in 2.0 along with some critical bug fixes. I wonder if a modder could just compare both versions and tweak 2.1's SWS to match the 1.0 code. Would that be hard to do I wonder? I still have both versions of the game if that is of any help to any modder. :) Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions...

Actually this might be possible. I have a feeling that just setting the SWS ammo capacity (and maybe ammo type?) to zero in the SWS weapns section of the executable is all it takes to make it behave like a laser tank and skip that part of the arming cycle. Then only the SWS Gauss would be affected, and not all the Gauss infantry weapons and craft weapons. Are you confident hex editing?

Hmm the Ufopaedia article on TACTICAL.EXE gives offsets for just about every piece of info on SWS apart from the ammo capacity. UNITREF byte 118 has the current ammo level of the SWS weapon but that's probably not what you need. You may need to hex edit the 'template' of UNITREF.dat that is inside GEOSCAPE.EXE.

The best information I can find was here:

https://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Talk:GEOSCAPE.EXE#HWP_weapons_data

Hmm... that's a good idea I'll install both patch versions and pour through the hex values for anything related to the gauss SWS. In theory just altering the correct value that doesn't match both 2.0 and 1.0 might revert it back to 1.0 settings. In 1.0 it behaved much like a laser tank, however I fear that just reverting the tank values might not be enough if the 2.0 version has an extra line of code that calls for altered tank to be refilled as soon as you return to base (which may crash the game)

It may do the trick though. If it does, it would be a great boon for those people with the same problem).

Hmm the Ufopaedia article on TACTICAL.EXE gives offsets for just about every piece of info on SWS apart from the ammo capacity. UNITREF byte 118 has the current ammo level of the SWS weapon but that's probably not what you need. You may need to hex edit the 'template' of UNITREF.dat that is inside GEOSCAPE.EXE.

There is no template for UNITREF.DAT in the executable. That file is built from the base unit alien stats matrix and tank chassis stat database or soldier.dat. There are two routines that flesh out UNITREF.DAT: one for aliens, which modifies the stats based on game difficulty and another for xcom units. The version 1.2 code has code to deduct that ammo from base stores when the gauss SWS is put on a plane. The problem is when you try to put the tank back into storage: there is no code to get the ammo from the tank and add it to base stores. As far as I know, the value it will deduct from the base stores is hard set in the routine. If you could locate this value and the same one that checks to see if the amount in base stores is enough and change the turrent to be like the laser, it should work in theory. Then you would need to locate the code that requires the new fighter craft to be researched before unlocking gauss tank production.

• 1 month later...

Just reading the description, it sounds just like the standard Gauss weapons have been jazzed up so they stay useful a lot longer. No mention of a fix for the Coelacanth.

- NKF

tftdextender had a fix but however it is for windows only and not dos...

Would anyone out there like to make a mod for dos? The coelacanth worked fine in tftd 1.0 This has been a long standing bug that breaks the coelacanth and I am sure many fans of the series would love it to work again!