Thorondor

Would you like to be famous? Do you aspire to leave the entire world in awe of your findings? Then your journey may take you to far away places in Abbey Games' just revealed Renowned Explorers: International Society.

In Renowned Explorers you take command of a motley crew and a mighty ship to explore the blank spots on the 18th centurieth maps. Prepare to encounter everything between reality and myth. Then survive the adventure and return with legendary treasures to rise in the prestigious ranks of the Victorian culture. There's no easy way to become the top act on the World Expo. You'll need something new, something legendary, something people have never seen before. And the only way to beat your rival to this treasure, is to find a better crew, a superior map and more powerful allies. Your museum will rise in fame, as you will rise in prestige. Every world has new unexplored cities of gold, unrevealed treasures and unencountered exotic civilizations. Be the first to chart these and amaze civilization.

When you have determined the location of a treasure, it's time for a turn-based approach. As a Captain you will lead your crew members to explore newfound land with the help of any resources that you may find on the island. Any foes that the exotic place has to offer can be met with either ruthless combat, pleasant conversation or an interesting mix of the two. After facing the challenges of a Caribbean island, Mayan temple or deep-jungle shrine, you may claim the treasure as your own and return it to your museum.

To grant you a new unexplored world every game, Renowned Explorers will generate and pose new mysteries, challenges, characters and combinations every time you start. Our new game is built to train you in the art of exploration, and it will reward you with deeper mysteries and rare treasure.

Main inspirations for Renowned Explorers are Jules Verne, Indiana Jones, X-COM: Enemy Unknown, and Fire Emblem (...)

The features now sighted:

• A large cast of explorers each with their own unique style, character and skill tree

• A new conversation system to be integrated with a more traditional turn-based combat system

• A museum to keep track of your global prestige, growing with every legendary treasure you find

• Random generation is used to fill every session with new mysteries, places and treasures

• A world based on popular and fantastic beliefs of the 19th century

• Many cultural capitals and exotic areas to restructure the treasure hint every game

There is as of yet no word on a firm release date but an official site has just been discovered here.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/296970/header.jpg?t=1487585978

::

The Emperor's Challenge expansion for Renowned Explorers has now been revealed and graced with an introductory comic. Players are also being invited to register for the closed beta as noted here.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Xy0z5b_oE

Travel to East Asia and meet four new characters for your crew. Explore the Anagogic Archipelago, a new 4-star expedition area in Indonesia! And if you're looking for replayability, then try The Emperor's Challenge. In this titular new game mode you and Rivaleux face off directly and compete for Emperor Guāngxù's blessing in a daily rotating challenge.

Renowned Explorers' The Emperor's Challenge DLC shall be released on the 10th of May on Steam and GoG.

• 2 weeks later...

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steamcommunity/public/images/clans/9244308/0a95ccca347db2cd91fb2fb52bf27aa425f84c0b.jpg

It appears there shall be other novelties to look forward to later today alongside Renowned Explorers: International Society's new DLC - The Emperor's Challenge - as noted here.

• 1 year later...

Yesterday I was looking to play something I haven't played in a long time and tried to pick up where I left off in Renowned Explorers: International Society - The Emperor's Challenge. I kinda made a mess of it. Jeez, I remember I had a good strategy going and slowly cranked through the content but that is totally out the window now. I did unlock two new characters and am currently working to unlock the final two - beyond that though, I'm going to need a refresher course. teehee.gif

- Zombie

• 1 month later...

I was playing this the other day again, with an all speaker group: leader - Phailin Boonyasak and Maria Rodriguez & Kwame Amanquatia as crew. The Emperor's Challenge throws a monkey wrench into the works quite often so that's what makes it difficult. For instance, my crew was specifically picked to be friendly, yet the Emperor's Challenge wanted me to finish a lot of the encounters aggressive. Fighting is not recommended with speakers because their armor and grit are usually low (not to mention attack power). This makes encounters last forever, plus it forces you to rely on those yellow tiles to help you heal.

Also, with the Emperor's Challenge you need to get your points up quick because you'll end up going against Rivaleux sooner than you normally would. If you beat him, but don't have more points, you'll still lose. Another issue is those long term challenges. One of the main ones I got was to get Speech Power as high as possible. Maria is the glass cannon, so she was the obvious choice. It wasn't difficult getting into the 50's and 60's for speech power with her, and she ended up with 72. Could have maybe got her to the next level of more than 80 but she was short on xp to level up to 5.

Cash was short, so I had to make some concessions. Do I opt for going all out for speech power, defense power, or be mediocre in everything? I figured that I needed to get speech power up as high as possible to make my friendly attacks that much more potent (you'll need this when going up against combatants with tons of health - aka spirit). This meant most of my team was like Maria: glass cannons - lots of power, but can't take a lot of hits. So everyone got Legendary Books for speech power but I only could afford good or decent mementos (trivial amount of speech defense and little to no armor).

Another one of those long term challenges I got was to hit 4 enemies with one attack. Maria didn't have a speech attack like that and neither did Kwame. Phailin had an attack called War Dance which not only worked against opponents but helped heal your team members if they were in range. Darn glad she had that. (If any of you ever play the Emperor's Challenge, make sure someone on your team has an AOE capable of affecting multiple targets at once).

Maria was my dedicated Beguiler with 6 levels, plus was a L1 Athlete and a L2 Tactician. Kwame was my dedicated Diplomat with 6 levels plus was a L3 Rogue and a L2 Quick Thinker. Phailin ended up being a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none: L2 Athlete, L3 Beguiler, L1 Tactician, L2 Survivalist and a L2 or 3 Engineer. So I think I did maybe one three star challenge before I had to do the Emperor's Challenge. That's a 5 star map with the final encounter being a 6 star. Ouch. Overall it didn't go too bad thanks to superior speech power and healing abilities. The final encounter was pretty difficult though, Maria fell unconscious once due to enemies focusing their attacks on her, but I was able to revive her, forge ahead and win. :)

- Zombie