Is there a mod that adds more characters?

Kyuujou

I am pretty new to this game but made some progress, early on however a few soldiers died and I assumed there was a way to wake up some of the Cryo-preserved humans and trudged on.

Well here I am now unable to do much and just watching the red blips pile up as my hilariously inadequate personel list goes out one by one.

Is there a mod that allows me to recruit more? Its a pretty huge deal...

Nope. In order to get more units you need to research a way to build robots or rebuild the Martian ones.

The only reinforcements you get are 2 reticulans. Olga (probably only if her father dies or later when he retires), two twins (Pierre and the second one) and Rita, where Rita can have technician or scientists depends who dies first.

This game wasn't designed for Ironman.

Well then is there a way to mod in a handful of extra characters? I mean it does explicitly say Laputans are suppose to give reinforcements and that theres ya know the cryo-tomb. It seems believable that at some point they would wake some people if they need it or invest in cloning technology.

Is there some way make more people? Like im down just to have random lv1's with no abilities.

I keep hearing the argument its not Xcom but the combat seriously is challenging and the incredibly small group of people given simply isnt enough. I mean the first event where beast men appear wiped half my soldiers as they retreated. :\

Then you should have reloaded and prepared better :P

The first encounter what I do and gives plenty of XP is give everyone a dynamite. When you cripple enough the robot so he can't repair. Plant a dynamite near it then run for it (well walk for it). Before the main dynamite explodes set other dynamites. The closer to the machine the faster. Oh and don't do that mission until when it expires, because of the last assault on the water pipe. And you want to have as many new human weapons as possible. In theory you don't need to do that mission.

When you prime right you can have a safe retreat point to the ufo, plenty of corpses and plenty of XP. Though it takes few attempts to make it perfect.

Then there is the last attack on the water pipe. On impossible you will always be above your suits environmental resistance, so before that I always save/load to not get the beastmen as it will be a failure no matter what you can do.

Don't feel offended - but playing Ironman on you're first playthrough is just plain idiocy as you don't know what to expect.

The laputans cleary say that human travel is beyond their availability and the opening cryotomb is timelocked, so no there are no soldiers. This game clearly says - you're resources are limited.

• 2 years later...

let's complete this topic

The twins appear if there's loss of a pure soldier.

After that Rita appear if there's loss of a scientist soldier, or automatically in middle game.

After Elysium mission, Harald if still alive will retire and Olga join. This is pretty late game so it's compensated by giving her a Fast Learning trait, help learning faster and indeed she learn fast enough to play late game. If Harald die earlier she will also join but without this trait. Honestly, the biggest loss here would be Harald's kill count which can get to 3 digits, impossible for Olga to get close. The trade off is that at late game every pure soldier is mostly completed and she's the last chance to build a pure soldier in new trainings like EM and Plasma. The calculation is very close, so I say choose which way fit you best.

Two Rebel soldiers join after we ally with that faction. The solsci is considered to be Ret major and helpful for research.

Three Expedition soldiers join after we ally with that faction. The two solsci are of same consideration as above.

Three Martian soldiers join after we ally with that faction and complete three rescue missions: 1 pure soldier and two solsci. They are pretty late game but can still helpful for Martian researchs. Also they are most troublesome as the rescue missions appear pretty randomly. Mine are Byzance, Wind Mountain.

NOTE: alien soldiers leave if we fight battles with their race. Even though we send them out on scientific buggy and so stall their leaving for a time, during a certain check in game they will leave. havent identified which moment yet, but luckily it's not too urgent as we can just reload to before and sending them out on buggy again.

I will argue that drones are a different approach to the game. You choose to dilute your gained XP from sentients onto robots, and divert research/production capacities for that approach. You have to research to double gun turrets to get anything useful, then produce guns/ammo/addons/chips...

From the point of view of a commander with full roster, they are not worth it. However, if you suffer heavy loss and dont want to reload (ironman players) then drones is a viable fallback approach.

Since I hate human loss with a passion (not alien) I reload upon such loss. The two games I produced drone? They just sit there as a Plan B fallback. Even with Gatlingx4.

Mind you, if you can set up a scenario when we attack an ally that race's loaned soldiers turn on us... then they are a reason to have some backup. Set it to fired automatically with an active squad at home.

&&&&&&&

Another note of using sentients to fight.

The core members are pure soldiers. Depend on your choice and your time, you may have from 4 to 7.

+ Reticulan and Martians are too squishy and would leave when attacked ally. At impossible difficulty, a Ret might just killed from a hit, so no. Just no. I never use the pure soldiers of those race.

At mission, I normally take from 1 to three part time soldier.

+ They are normally the ones in training, or civil engineering. While the loss of productivity in research and production may not be much, there's no need to take it.

+ They are too busy in research or production, so their combat skills are underdeveloped compared to pure soldiers. They are in early mission as extra shooters and medics.

+ Medic is the best because they can heal wounds so can extend mission time. Any wound heals go toward their science xp. A high hazard mission just mean they got more XP. Later on, major in alien tech means they use those guns better. A Ret can heal using their racial tool but a pure soldier wont benefit from those healing XP.

The part time soldiers will be trained in late game trainings since at that time the pure soldiers are already completed.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

On Drone strategy:

Actually, quadGatling work well on bulky enemies or slow ones like the Ret. For fast, elusive targets like Matriarch, and Roller (or your newest drone), quadLasCan is better. 4 almost guaranteed hit each shot. I value that better than the heavier weight of fire and the few experiment battle are almost alsways with them.

That is so very true. BUT.

In the interest of not sharing kill-count and damage-XP I chose not to use a completed bot with Gatlingx4. The counter is to use a supernatural charisma, heavy suited (optional), shotgun armed (or sniper rifle with heavy ammo), Leader into the fray, solo, The rest cower in the furthest corner.

Ramirezol in the hand of a medic can provide leader with a boost that push Aiming to Divine/Extra/Ultra level, and Charisma to maybe one level upward. The stat allow minimum woundings. The suit and a good corner in a room allow no rocket damage, which is the biggest worry. Psi absorber is nice but not essential. If the damage got to dangerous level a quick retreat back to the medic is called for.

Shotgun/SR and the occassional TNT ensure any ret get in range got killed. But the TNT do destroy loots on the ground so take care where you place it.

Solo mean that if/when the mind control got through it doesnt affect your team mates. Still, a SN charisma that get boosted to Divine or higher almost always laugh off mind control and maybe hit by psionic wounding once per battle.

Samantha turn from a middling soldier into a major killer after my Rebel campaign. Claude who was behind Pierre about 80 kills get parity after Expedition campaign (not need heavy suit).

Another counter is to get to a defensive position. Any get close get creamed. Any hiding behind walls to wound/stun get hunted down by a pair of supernatural runner. Establishing a clear perimeter and patrol extensively. The group in the center will help by throwing grenades where needed. The position is generally high ground or with good walls to ensure no rocket. May god help us, no psi rocket!

Actually, the drone strategy is the answer for original poster's situation,

Yeay, what had said silencer_pl in post #9.

About the XP, it is treated differently in UFO:Aftershock:

IIRC, the drones don't receive xp, they only get better by what you build on (their AI learn nothing..),

they decrease the whole XP of the mission, but it is divided only between the (living) soldiers.

So, a drone master alone with its drone toys in a mission get many XP, but it's not good in the long run for less XP is received in the whole, strategically.