Second Alien Building

Spart_acustard

I dont think ive got the hang of these alien buildings yet, :blink: how many of those sunlight shiny orbs do i have to blow up? (dont say "all of them") i cant seem to find them all.

And, do aliens just pour constantly into the buildings or what? theres absolutely loads of the blights! :hmmm:

Basically, whats the BEST way to finish the second alien base ? :)

First of all - the alien forces:

Notice all those orange/red pads that you find clustered together at various points in the map (usually in groups of four)? Destroy them.

You can only do this with vortex mines. If you haven't yet researched vortex mines and cannot use them, just put the mine on the pad and detonate it with some other explosive, like an AP grenade or an autocannon HE shell. You need one mine per pad, but if they are very close together, you can probably get two at the same time.

Aliens teleport into the map from these pads from time to time. Destroy all of these pads in the map, and you'll be free to tackle the mission objective at your leisure once you've dealt with the remaining aliens

Give me a bit. I'll go and take screenshots of the objectives you need to destroy. I just need some time to set up the scenario.

- NKF

Bam! Screenshots! I just recycled one old screenshot I took, and added a few more.

There should be seven bulbs in total. If not, look up and search for anything that looks like the heat bulbs.

Please note the shape of the bulbs. There are lots of smaller bulbs in the map, but those are not the mission objectives. They only contain trace amounts of stun-gas. The mission objectives cause big incendiary explosions when damaged. They're also quite distinctive, so it shoudn't be too hard locating them.

---

As a review of the basic strategies to take when tackling the alien dimension buildings. What needs to be done for a complete run of every building:

• Destroy the spawn pads. This stops reinforcements. Use Vortex Mines.
  • Locate and destroy mission objectives. The mission briefing screen shows exactly what it is you need to destroy. Take note of it.
  • Eliminate enemy resistance.

If you just want to be quick, destroy the objectives and evacuate from the mission as quickly as you can.

The complete run will work for all but the last alien building (you'll find out why when you get there). Also note, that on one mission along the way, you get to choose to capture your objective instead of destroying it. If you have toxin-C, I highly recommend capture over destruction.

- NKF

• 2 weeks later...

Unlike X-Com: UFO, where you could win most mission by just killing (and stunning) the aliens, killing all the aliens is kind of a secondary mission objective for the alien dimension buildings. It's not required, but it can be done if you want to collect all the equipment in the battlefield. The mission will only come to a successful end after you've destroyed (or disabled, in one case) the primary objective(s). So there's no way around it.

Killing all the aliens will not work in the final mission. There's nothing strong enough in the game to destroy the green reinforcement teleporter pads found in that mission.

- NKF

That second alien building was a laugh the irst time around for me. Didn't take any vortex miines as I considered them far too risky. Took ma a absolute AGE to get some off the aliens and use theirs :blink:

As for the final building... It's not easy to complete this without losing a man. Be prepared for casualties if you're playing on Superhuman (or even sub-human for that level! :))

You loose more men after the final mission, so I don't see how casulaties during it are a problem... https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/sarcastic.gif

Stupid indestructible teleport pads. https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/hmm.gif

i beg to differ. once you manage to get toxiguns (at least toxin b i say), you just keep several agents per set of pads, set up in a tactical maner, and prepare to get a really high score. of course, you must have a team of agents running around killing off the rest of the aliens and doing the mission objectives. one more thing. later on in the mission, aliens just stop comming. i left the game running on tripple speed for several hours and no aliens came. guess they got scared and decided it was a lost cause... :blink: (seriously though, it was probebly because of the amount of units the ai can have. i think it would be similar to what we have.)

Ah, so they are indeed finite!

I wonder if this means that the final alien building can be won by simply wearing them down rather than escaping, as per usual?

Hmm.. let's see. 4 pad clusters. 36 soldiers, 72 devastators. That's 9 soldiers a cluster (and 18d70 damage per volley)... Huh. A bit overkill, actually. :blink:

- NKF

My point wasn't that you had to take casualties... just that it doesn't matter in the slightist if you do... as the game's over anyway... https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/blink.gif

And you loose troops anyway in the outro... same as TFTD... stupid wretched outros... https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/hmm.gif

Long live UFO! https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jeffy90/images/smilies/laugh.gif