I divide trainings into major groups: Weapon class and Support class
Weapon classes are trainings that will provide immediate usable combat power, AKA you can just throw soldiers with them into battle right out of hiring. They include
- Technician (mechanical), Using heavy machinegun and rocket launcher at tier 2 (patch 1.3)
- Trooper (rifle), using rifle, but can use RPG right off the bat (but badly skilled).
- Commando/Stalker (close combat) Can use commando weapon like katana, blow pipe, shuriken, throwing knife. Katana provide best combo power (rapid attack from C3, and extra crit from S3). Also extra speed so very nice for speedy recon.
- Ranger (close combat) can use pistol/SMG weapons. Especially with dual wield ability, it lengthen the useability of these weapons at middle to late game. And if you find damage can not keep up with extra HP bloat, switch to ret blaster.
- Leader (Psi Power) is only useable when you can get Ret Blaster and research specific weapon research to use them. STUN damage only but with great amount. Also can use some projectors but its effect is iffy. Combo well with Ranger to double Stun damage. Note that outside of Psi Power, Leaders dont provide other useful combat skills.
- Sniper (Sniper) Only training can use sniper rifle. even with S1 they can shoot well using laser sniper rifle. At higher skill and tier, they can provide deadly cover fire from triple the distance. Sniping and Counter Sniping is a deadly game for BOTH sides.
I dont detail specifically Throwing there because I still have to think about it. Will add later.
Support group are groups that provide some extra abilities but not necesary immediate combat power. Invest in them will reduce your useable manpower.
- Medic. This class is very necessary (at least ONE tier 3 Medic per game) but they just have no effective influence on battlefield. Combo well with Trooper so can use Rifle, in which case they have trouble switching between rifles and medkit. Not recommended for Cyborg despite their natural increase in medicpower due to Cyborg's tight belt.
- Gunman. This class provide abilities to wear heavy armor at 1st tier, and TWO powerful abilities to stay alive. BUT no combat power at all. A G3 just have Verygood Mechanical at best, which is not very useful. It's a good option to keep a soldier alive on battlefield, but NO immediate offensive ability. Gunman/Trooper provide a walking tank
Specifically powerful combo
Commando3/Stalker3 with a Katana. high speed movement and attack. Good for recon in force. NOT combo well with Ranger because double browning knife doesnt receive bonus from C3/S3.
Leader3/Ranger3 with a pair of Reticulan Blaster. Very high stunning damage. NOT work with other pistol/SMG because their damage can not keep up with extra HP in Superhero difficulty. Certainly, this is not a good killer, but it disable oh so very well. it's a bit of a iffy combo, but a good use out of Leader 3 OR Ranger 3.