Uruguay goes legal on marijuana

Space Voyager

It is all over the news, so don't pretend not to have heard. wink.png

Personally I love their decision. I'm against the (excessive) drug abuse but not allowing them only brings more money to illegal activities all over the world. Incredible sums of money really that could be used for better social services. Except in Slovenia, naturally, all money is eaten by corruption here. Anyway, less police, more budget, what's not to like.

Mind you, I don't think all drugs should be allowed. There are some that are so destructive they should remain illegal. But who would care about those if you have a nice collection of far less damaging legal options.

Which also brings us to alcohol. One of the most destructive (long-term) drugs is completely legal in most countries, in some also available to children. It destroys families, has other social influences and directly kills more people than all other drugs combined. I just can't see any sane reason for a drug like marijuana to be illegal.

What say you?

You can't compare drugs to alcohol period.

1 beer does not make you drunk.

1 joint makes you less responsive.

Also...

Which also brings us to alcohol. One of the most destructive (long-term) drugs is completely legal in most countries, in some also available to children. It destroys families, has other social influences and directly kills more people than all other drugs combined. I just can't see any sane reason for a drug like marijuana to be illegal.

You're joking right?

1. Alcohol is not a drug - you don't get addicted to it. Drugs make you become addict (like smokes for example). You will say: "But there are alcohoics...", well there are also Workaholics, sexoholics(sp?) and many other holics... It's just in the psyche of a person.

2. The difference between 16 and 18 years old is not that different and even so. Beer in USA is legal after 21 I believe but that doesn't stop 18 year olds to drink it.

3. It doesn't destroy families like you said. It's just the character of said person or persons. Families can be destroyed by many other things (including drugs).

4. It doesn't directly kills - you can drink 1 beer per day and you will live. Taking drugs will kill you slowly (not necessarily - just like not everyone dies out of cancer when smoking but still higher chance). It's the stupidity of people that kills them. It's just like guns. Guns don't kill people. It's the people who use them. You don't die by touching gun, knife, sword, etc.

It maybe true that there are more deaths where alcohol was used, but that doesn't mean the alcohol is a victim here. It was just the idiot who was driving being under the influence.

So if alcohol is also bad like drugs, why don't we ban it too? Well we all know what happened in the US that time :P

Besides beer also improves our health (if you don't exaggerate) , while drugs don't.

LSD is considered light drug am I right ?

https://www.openculture.com/2013/10/artist-draws-nine-portraits-on-lsd-during-1950s-research-experiment.html

There are other examples.

At least after being drunk, you don't see Dragons or Fairies.

Are we speaking of the same alcohol? I agree, you can't compare it to drugs, you can only compare it to OTHER drugs. Like, drugs with far lesser physical dependence. Which becomes very strong with alcohol. Naturally, its psychological dependence strikes far sooner, also due to its anti-depression effect. I personally know two persons who strive to get off the hold of alcohol.

All drugs will intoxicate you, all dependent on quantity. You can role a joint so mild you will not notice you smoked any weed. Which is analogous to your "one beer won't make you drunk". Both have an effect, but too small for you to notice. Alcohol is especially dangerous as the user may even get a feeling that he is better at doing things. Marijuana does not have that effect, you are very aware of your lessened abilities.

When you will realize that alcohol is a drug, and a very potent and dangerous one at that, you will also see that your whole post is... very wrong.

BTW, I linked Wiki articles as this is the easiest thing to do. There are plenty of references on the internet and in printed material. Also, it might be a good idea to see a doctor and ask.

• 2 years later...
You can't compare drugs to alcohol period.

Alcohol is a drug.

Alcohol is not a drug - you don't get addicted to it.

This is the most stupid thing I have seen in a long time. It pretty much destroys any credibility your argument has. You imbue 'drugs' with morally negative values and insist they are addictive, yet think 'alcohol' is somehow magically separate and has no addictive properties; somehow the fault for the addiction moves from the substance to the person. Wonderful magical thinking.

I wonder how our own Azrael Strife feels about this one?

• 1 year later...