Odd Infiltration Generation

Alienated

I discovered an odd thing in the PSX version. It happens that another infiltration mission may be generated after one is completed in the same area. Therefore one month may have a terror mission, two missions of some kind, some retaliation missions AND the repeated infiltration mission.

Usually the missions are introduced by small scouts early in the month but the small scout of a repeated infiltration mission may appear any time in the month.

• 10 months later...

I discovered an odd thing in the PSX version. It happens that another infiltration mission may be generated after one is completed in the same area. Therefore one month may have a terror mission, two missions of some kind, some retaliation missions AND the repeated infiltration mission.

Usually the missions are introduced by small scouts early in the month but the small scout of a repeated infiltration mission may appear any time in the month.

This is known behaviour. Alien Infiltration missions repeat endlessly once active. This is because each mission (besides Alien Supply, Alien Terror and Alien Retaliation, which aren't governed by ZONAL.DAT and ACTS.DAT) can only be done in each zone once. The repetitive nature of Alien Infiltration ensures that a) infiltrations don't "stop" after one country per zone has been infiltrated (it would be odd if only one European country could be infiltrated, for example); b) alien bases continue to be built forever (as Alien Infiltration missions spawn bases).

It happens where there is more than one country in a zone. As soon as the country signs the pact, the infiltration mission for that zone starts over again. It is not dependent on the routine that creates new random missions at the start of the month, so the first scout in the new wave will arrive whenever its timer completes. Once all countries in that zone have signed, the mission actually ends. I know this is true for the Windows version and I assume it's true for DOS as well.