63 replies to this topic

#21 Flash McKrakken

Flash McKrakken

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 08:51 AM

Really? Abandon ware? Illegal?? Are you serious?! Oh...I didn't think you were. You were just messing with me huh? Well, you almost got me with that one.

BTW, people selling software, ie. an individual, and companies selling software, ie. the guys with the rights to it, are two totally different things.

Software is considered abandonware when people like microprose stop providing support for the product, plus they stop selling it themselves either over the net, in stores, or in small wooden stands on street corners. The last time I saw X-Com 2 in any of the afore mentioned places has to have been about 5 years ago. Possibly 8, I'm really not sure. Oh, except that bookrack place on Academy Blvd...but they only sell second hand merchandise...

#22 Ion Mage

Ion Mage

Summoner of Ion Cannons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 02:52 AM

For me the fodder patch just makes the message 'couldn't createprocess'  :hmmm:

Any ideas?
Magic and technology combined....

#23 Ion Mage

Ion Mage

Summoner of Ion Cannons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 03:04 AM

Ah, found the problem.  

Apparently, the PCGamer classic games collection is very similar to the collectors/gold edition of XCOM, only with less compatability, since it is still technically not the coll. edition, but the PCG version!  Of which the patch is NOT compatable with!  :D

Oh well, back to disabling directdraw  ;)

#24 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 06:18 AM

The PCGamer copy is the collectors edition. They just left out TFTD and Apocalypse. Check the readme file. It still has notes for the other two games.

It must be something else entirely.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#25 Ion Mage

Ion Mage

Summoner of Ion Cannons

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 09:14 AM

Hmmm.. then i have no idea what the problem is :/

#26 Rasicar

Rasicar

Resident Bastard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 03:31 AM

Okay, I am running on a 1.7 ghz system with XP on it. Is there any patch or anything for the DOS version of UFO and (I think) TFTD as well? I can't get either to work.

As far as the Fodder patch is concerned, how do I install it? I have yet to find any reference to this on the net and i couldn't find any instructions on his/her site.

If anyone could help me that would be most appreciated. I haven't played the original two in about two years... .needless to say, I'm jonesing for my X-com fix.

#27 Pete

Pete

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,876 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 10:32 PM

A WORD OF WARNING:

Really? Abandon ware? Illegal?? Are you serious?! Oh...I didn't think you were. You were just messing with me huh? Well, you almost got me with that one.

BTW, people selling software, ie. an individual, and companies selling software, ie. the guys with the rights to it, are two totally different things.

Software is considered abandonware when people like microprose stop providing support for the product, plus they stop selling it themselves either over the net, in stores, or in small wooden stands on street corners. The last time I saw X-Com 2 in any of the afore mentioned places has to have been about 5 years ago. Possibly 8, I'm really not sure. Oh, except that bookrack place on Academy Blvd...but they only sell second hand merchandise...

Quoting Mr McKrakken's previous posts about the legalities of 'ripping software off the internet' above... it's NOT LEGAL.

Perhaps a definition of Abandonware would help clear up this issue that people like to keep sidestepping? Here we go then:

Software that is no longer being sold or supported by its publisher. Most abandonware is still considered illegal unless the publisher has re-released the software as freeware.

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date the software was first published. So the current availability of a product is irrelevant to its copyrighted status. Unlike trademarks, copyrights are not considered abandoned if they are no longer enforced. Copyrights do not enter the public domain just because they are no longer commercially exploited or widely available.

That's from http://www.webopedia.com/ for all you folks who are interested. Now, last I checked (and I'd probably know before MOST people) nobody released the games as Freeware. Indeed, there is no longer a Microsoft presence to do so, nor is there a Hasbro for the later games. Since Firaxis owns everything, it's up to Sid whether the old games get released as Freeware.

When that day comes, I will be the first to offer them as downloads on the site right here, but until that day, ANYONE who comes here preaching about Abandonware, ESPECIALLY without checking what the hell that means is gonna get a kick in the proverbial nuts, and possibly banned along the lines of the forum rules and regulations as mentioned in the Announcements forum.

Consider yourselves warned in a friendly way.

Anyway, back to the topic in hand, if you would like to look back a few posts in this thread, you'll find how to set up the Fodder path properly.

Thanks for your time :D
I want to see the inside of the UFO in my avatar.

#28 Gruesome696

Gruesome696

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 01:25 AM

How do you get the game to run in a high rez mode?  I can only get it to run in the normal rez.  Thanks

Gruesome

#29 The Veteran

The Veteran

Munty

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,736 posts

Posted 20 November 2002 - 06:33 PM

Right. Well I'm getting a new pc on saturday and it's going to be XP like so many other lost souls have in here. I started reading the thread but there's too much here! What is the ultimate way to get these games all running?
Welcome back to the wonderful world of Fan-fiction! (it's short for fantastic!)
Go check em out, UFO TFTD and Apocalypse all under one roof!!!

Also why not check out XCom : Colonisation over in the special projects forum. Won't kill you if you do, might kill you if you don't!

#30 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 22 November 2002 - 01:05 AM

heh, there's a pseudo solution for Apoc...  

Good luck Veteran.  Hope you are not X-Com-less for the rest of your life.  :D

And Gruesome, I'm not familiar with XP, what is high and normal res?  If you're talking about in-game, there is no option of that sort... for XP, I have no idea.
Lance Corporal Derrick "DragonHawk" Ko
Combat Engineer, Kappa Team
X-Com Alliance Sim

#31 tasothmiester

tasothmiester

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 November 2002 - 01:21 PM

I am here to save the day for all you lost souls with Xp, [sigh], you shouild all have command prompt so use it type in the file directory for X-com eg.
C/:X-com.exe  ( Note this is an example I don't know you're actually drives for it) If it doesn't work either post here or post me.

#32 Spyder

Spyder

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2002 - 02:18 AM

I also am having problems getting X-Com to start up.

I have sound disabled (another problem for later :D ) and the intro runs fine.  I get to the "Select a Base" screen and when I click a spot and it crashes with this error:

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction
CS:0000 IP:0077 OP:f0 37 05 0e 02

I have set every .exe file I could find to run as Windows 95 compatible.  It seems to be running 3 different .exe files: black.exe, geoscape.exe & tactical.exe.  I believe it's crashing on geoscape.exe, but, I can't really tell.

My system is An Athlon XP 1800+ with 500mb memory, Geforce 4 mmx 64mb.

Some of the pointers mentioned in this thread sound like they might work, but, I'm not that clear on exactly what they're saying.  I've forgotten all my DOS knowledge :) and I'm just a user when it comes to Windows.

I'll prob need a slow-down utility and that's not a problem, but I need to get it to run first ;)

Spyder
Chairman of the Arachnid Consortium
pmason4@kc.rr.com
pmason@cerner.com

#33 Spyder

Spyder

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 December 2002 - 04:49 PM

Ok, I downloaded the Fodder patch.  But, everytime I execute either of the ldr_xcom?.exe files, I get a "Couldn't CreateProcess" error.

I move both the ldr_xcom1.exe & the ldr_xcom2.exe files into the d:\mps\ufo directory along with the accompanying .dll file and neither seem to do anything except generate the above error.

There aren't any real instructions in the Read.me on how to set this up.  I assumed that you take one or the other set of files (xcom1 or xcom2) and put them in the game directory and try to run them.  This is what I've done, but, no luck :D

#34 Spyder

Spyder

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 03:35 PM

Anyone have any help to offer?  Am I using the Fodder patch correctly?  

I have a boot disk which I made using Windows 95 dos.  I can't even get this to run when I boot up under dos using this diskette.  

Spyder

#35 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 04:04 PM

I'm going to ask the uber-stupid question, but it must be asked.  Have you tried reinstalling the game?  If the patch isn't working, is it possible that you either have a defective game or defective patch?
X-Com Alliance Sim

#36 Spyder

Spyder

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 05:26 PM

Well, yes, I've tried that :D

But, I'll try again over lunch (here in a few mins when I head home) to be sure that this isn't the problem.

The biggest question I have at the moment is "Am I using the Fodder patch correctly?"

The patch came with three subdirectories, Xcom1, Xcom2 and source.  I extracted all, then copied the contents of xcom1 over to my UFO dir, clicked the ldr_xcom1.exe and got the results mentioned above.  I then copied the contents of xcom2 over to my UFO dir...same thing.  I then copied the contents in the root dir of the zip file to my UFO dir and still the same error.

So, anyway ;)  are we having fun yet?

Heading home for lunch, will post from there in a few.

Spyder

#37 Spyder

Spyder

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 05:51 PM

Ok, I've re-reinstalled it.  I got the same crash error noted above.  I unloaded the Fodder patch and am getting the same results.

I'm still not confident that I'm using that patch correctly, though.

#38 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 06:21 PM

Someone help this person out!  :D

Spyder, maybe it would help to start a new topic on the fodder patch, or whatever.
X-Com Alliance Sim

#39 Spyder

Spyder

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 07:39 PM

Back at work now....

Well, doggone it....  :D

Do you think its an Athlon bug?

Something else that occured to me....my sound card, SBLive (yes, sound is disabled, but it may make a difference anyway), is set at IRQ 12.  The config program will only go up to 9.  I was thinking that, even if its disabled, it may still check IRQ 5 and cause an exception when it hits whatever currently owns that interrupt (don't know, didn't think to check).

Spyder

#40 DragonHawk

DragonHawk

XCAS Inquisitor

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 09 December 2002 - 11:44 PM

I've got an Athlon K7 700, but it runs ok (for the most part).  Similar for the sound card - SB Live Value.

Maybe it's something else.  What do you have for video card?
X-Com Alliance Sim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users