Thorondor

https://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/panel-26615579-image-f77f97da0311251a-320.png

Garth DeAngelis, XCOM: EU Producer is playing Enemy Unknown in a multiplayer rematch versus 'Amazony' (or 'Amazon guy') right now on 2K's PAX Prime livestream here.

::

Be sure to tune in later on today (3:30 convention time) for the very special Strategy Masterminds Mega Panel about XCOM: Enemy Within. smile.png

Yeah, yeah, show-offs, 75% off or no deal. I PREORDERED XCOM:EU, YOU BASTARDS!!! https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/smcomp_hate1.gif

Ups, I wrote those very private thoughts down? An... unfortunate incident. https://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/SpaceVoyager/Smiley/pokerface.gif

I have a question regarding XCOM Enemy Within (Commander Edition). Here's a description of what's included in the version:

XCOM®: Enemy Within is a standalone expansion to the 2012 Game of the Year award-winning strategy game XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Enemy Within features the core experience of Enemy Unknown plus even more content including all-new soldiers and abilities, enemy threats, maps and missions and multiplayer content providing a fresh new gameplay experience. Also included is the Elite Soldier Pack, plus the Slingshot and Second Wave add-on content.

I'm slightly confused. It states it's a "Stand alone expansion", yet "Features the core experience of the original". (Which includes all the DLC from the original).

Perhaps one of you guys are more enlightened than I am and can explain by answering this....

Is this basically the original game including the expansion? Do I need to have both of these titles to own the entire XCOM series? Egad!

Is this like Heroes of Might & Magic 3: The Shadow of Death (which was 3 plus an expansion, yet considered a stand alone)

Thanks in advance mates!

Update.

I believe I have a better understanding of what's to be expected by this post.

First you have to understand what this expansion actually is. It's not a follow up to the story, it's the same game with tons of added content and modified content. Like a gigantic patch that changes the existing gameplay combined with DLC, all in one package.

If you are on PC, it's just like the Civilization expansions which is something that hasn't been done on consoles before to my knowledge. That's probably why it's released as a new standalone game rather than straight DLC for console. The nature of this sort of expansion is most likely stuck in an awkward place in the policies of Microsoft and Sony due to the heavy modification of content.

$40 for console and it's ''standalone'' so it includes the base game, the previous DLC and the expansion all in one. It's the best value if you are a newcomer and the worse if you have it all already.

$30 for PC and it requires the base game. It's the best value for someone with the game and the worst for a newcomer.

What we know so far

-More maps (About 50% more)

-New aliens

-Genetic modification of soldiers

-Cybernetic modification of soldiers

-Mech suits

-New facilities to be built

-New resource which actually change the game

-Balance changes

-New research opportunities

-New upgrades

-New soldier gear

-International ''voice pack''

And there is more to be announced too.

Several gripes I had with XCOM: EU was that it didn't have;

Flame-throwers

XCOM Base Assaults

One Interceptor per UFO

Multiple Languages (dialects)

Ice/Snow, Desert, Farm (rural areas) Maps

Well that's all about to change, as all these features are now included with Enemy Within (Due out 11/12/13).

-NoX

I agree, a lot of new stuff is being added. Though I don't know what you mean by one interceptor per UFO. Will there be multiple interceptors available at the same time now?

EDIT: I read through the article Thor posted previously. IMO the mech soldiers sacrificed a whole lot more than just limbs. I can't imagine such a soldier having sex, for instance. So... a man can go insane this way. :D