Problems researching live Xarquids and Hallucinoids

ChrisBenn

As the title says, I'm having a lot of trouble getting the Xarquid Terrorist and Hallucinoid Terrorist research items to pop up. I've captured a good 5-6 of each of them, live. I've got plenty of store space, and no other captive aliens, so I really don't know what the problem is. Is it similar to UFO's Sectopod and Cyberdisc, in that you cannot capture them but must capture medics?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as it's currently driving me mental.

Ah okay, thanks! Are these the only two uncapturable aliens, or will I not be able to capture Triscenes either? (I've not even encountered them in my game yet and I'm starting to get a little worried it's due to a bug, because I'm already in the 2nd year!)

Just out of curiosity, was this an intentional carryover from UFO Defense, or were you supposed to be able to capture every alien this time around, were it not for this "bug"? I only ask because I'm actually able to stun the uncapturable aliens (I'm not sure if you could in UFO Defense, I never tried) and the TFTD research tree on UFOpaedia seems to indicate that they're all capturable, when compared to the UFO Defense research tree, which excludes Sectopod and Cyberdisc Terrorists.

Regardless, thank you! Been waiting on completing the game for a few days now as I want all research completed before I turn it in. Much appreciated.

It's a holdover from EU because the development of TFTD was rushed. Each one replaced either the cyberdisc or sectopod in the creature list and they didn't undo the exclusion to capture that was given to the unit reference numbers.

Just out of curiosity, was this an intentional carryover from UFO Defense, or were you supposed to be able to capture every alien this time around, were it not for this "bug"? I only ask because I'm actually able to stun the uncapturable aliens (I'm not sure if you could in UFO Defense, I never tried) and the TFTD research tree on UFOpaedia seems to indicate that they're all capturable, when compared to the UFO Defense research tree, which excludes Sectopod and Cyberdisc Terrorists.

IIRC, you can stun the Sectopod and Cyberdisc during a mission, but their "bodies" are not recoverable. Is this WAI? Not 100% sure, but my guess is yes as these are robotic units and stunning should not work. For the Xarquid and Hallucinoid, Tycho makes a good point about TFTD being rushed and thus the code was not updated. Is it WAI in TFTD? Probably not, as both aliens are non-mechanical. ;)

- Zombie

Triscenes come on Surface Terror missions if the game assigns the second type of mixed crew to the attacking ship. I have only seen them appear on the ship attack terror missions and only because the Extender increases the chance for the other mixed crew to appear.

Ah, so they won't even appear in Tasoth base defence missions? I knew they only appear on land, but it needs to be mixed crew and a ship terror mission? No wonder I'm having so much trouble finding them.

Usually the second mixed crew type is Lobstermen, Triscenes, and Xarquids, which is another mistake since xarquids should not appear nor fly above water.

Thanks for the help! Just came across 2 Triscenes on a ship alongside Tasoths, Aquatoids and land-dwelling Xarquids. Weirdly, I managed to stun one of them, so it appears you can actually stun the various 2x2 units in the game, somehow.

Also Tycho, great quote in your signature. What a fantastic series!

Ah, that makes sense. I'm assuming that the Triscene uses the same reference number as the Reaper, and the Xarquid and Hallucinoid have the Sectopod and Cyberdiscs' then. I'm glad to have finally cleared that up. It's so difficult to tell what is intentional and what is a bug in TFTD, as it's riddled with so many of them. Like the bloody examination room being completely unattainable outside of hacking - 9 or 10 Hunters fully cleared before I thought to look that up!

Still absolutely loving this game though. Brilliant! Now I think I've finally managed to research everything that is possible to research, I'm gonna have one more little poke around just to make sure and then it's

off to T'leth!