High-flung Cannonade

Thorondor

Aimed at having a blast. That's a pretty good primer for Turtle Sandbox's energetic gaming mix of high-explosive exchanges and pellets of strategy they call - rather fittingly as it happens - Cannon Brawl.

Cannon Brawl is a 2D action strategy game with big explosions and destructible terrain. Command the action from your airship to build cannons, capture mines, expand your territory and more. Choose from a multitude of buildings, cannons and towers to assemble a force that will rain destruction from the sky and defeat your enemy! Advance your military campaign across the map in single player mode, or duke it out in multiplayer mode.

The bang-on features:

• Action Strategy like you've never seen - Unique blend of 2D artillery and real time strategy gameplay results in intense tactical battles

• Battle Near and Far - Competitive 1v1 online multiplayer with ranked matching, invite a friend for a private battle, or plugin in a controller and get your buddies together for a home tournament

• Strategic Options - Choose from 14 weapons and defenses and combo them with 5 different airship pilots for hundreds of strategic options

• Dynamic Battlefields - Destroy the terrain with cannons, lasers and more

• Epic Adventure - Battle across our full campaign mode with big boss fights spanning 20 missions, charting new territory across 5 unique environments

The dynamite indie team of two responsible for this title, Pete Angstadt and Theresa Duringer, clearly on the verge of exploding with excitement to share the game with the world, have now made it available through Steam's Early Access program, with a 10% off discount thrown in for good measure.

Here's word from them:

(...) after two years of development, we're ready to invite you to play our game! We want to bring strategy and fun together in a unique experience which we hope you find in Cannon Brawl.

Sounds like a jolly good idea, so jump in if you will.

• 2 weeks later...
As it arced its way toward a floating patch of land where my enemy's rocket tower sat, I realized I was holding my breath. If this worked - and I didn't know if it would - victory was as good as mine. If it didn't, I needed to redraw my battle plan.

::

Polygon's Dave Tach takes a shot at Cannon Brawl, interviewing one of the creators, Pete Angstadt, here.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...