Citadels contains multiple campaigns that put players into one of two roles: either a member of King Arthur's entourage as he enters into the decisive battle against his archenemy, or as a collaborator of Mordred and his allies in their attempts to subjugate the kingdom. The players can take advantage of powerful castles, moats and defensive structures, as well as well-equipped armies and powerful siege weapons. Additional support in battle comes through the historical characters as well: those aligning themselves with King Arthur can secure the aid of Merlin, the legendary magician and royal advisor. He provides a significant starting bonus for any scenario.
Those who cast their lots with Mordred and his allies, by contrast, can earn the services of King Guthrum – a fearsome warrior who supports the troops where the battle rages thickest.
• Your strategy will decide between victory and defeat! Only with the right combination of defense structures, units, extraction of raw materials, and production, will you emerge victorious from the sieges.
• Experience epic battles with realistic destruction! Assemble your army from a multitude of different units. But beware of falling rubble and take geographical conditions into account in your battle plan.
• Unlock legendary characters! Complete specific tasks and gain the support of famous heroes, granting you strategic advantages in battle.
• Construct impregnable fortresses, equip them with units, ditches and palisades and crush the hordes of enemies with your defense structures!
• A fortress alone does not mean victory! Build a dependable infrastructure and manage your resources.
For screenshots and extra information check out the official site here.
The game is now available through a number of retail outlets, including Steam, where it is enjoying a launch discount of 10% off until the 2nd of August.
You might want to hold fast for just a little longer though as word from the developers is that a first important update for the game will be available today on Steam, to correct minor UI issues and bring a number of other assorted fixes (including a crash on startup some people are experiencing).