Sword of the Stars: The Pit Review

Thorondor

Well to be honest - I think the review is missing the bits where you don't like the game. I think I don't see the reason other than turn abusing to reduce the points to 7. Not that the game is perfect but still.

Crafting is not just useful. It is essential. The best armours, weapons...

While the first part is true, the second is dependent.

PBA aka power suit is the strongest armour and it is not craftable - but only Marine can use it to full potential. Next armour in defense value is Hiver Chitin Armour - that is craftable.

Weapons - the strongest weapon that I've found was Meson Rifle - not craftable, next in line is Pulse Rifle - that is craftable, but there are weapons that require PBA armour and they are even more powerful, like rocket launcher, plasma/fusion cannon, Heavy Cannon where only Heavy Cannon is craftable.

For those who are inpatient and want to speed things up - there is already a wiki that contains all current recipes.

https://sword-of-the-stars-the-pit.wikia.com/wiki/Recipes

Knowing the recipes will not save your sorry ass if you're not playing smart.

There is one major thing I'd change in the game though. I'd change the crafting recipes' mechanics. As it is, the recipes stay the same every time you play, and next time you play all previously discovered recipes are stored in your personal database. What this means is that the first time you play, your chances of winning are more or less zero. Through several playthroughs you'll accumulate enough crafting knowledge to actually have a chance. To make it even more complicated, at easy level you'll only have access to some of the recipes.

That is silly I think - first you need to have at least few playthroughs to unlock some recipes, then the required materials are not always easy to come, then there is a chance to fail the creation process (note every action is capped at 99% so there is 1% of failing). Also the easy level doesn't make things complicated. Yes you can only have first 50 messages but your chance of doing something is doubled and you deal twice the damage. That is the level to familiarize yourself with the game. And those 50 messages give plenty of recipes to go play normal difficulty.

The listed non-craftable items are nice exceptions that prove the rule. Even if you happen to find both (incredible luck), you'll still need crafting to survive. I haven't found either, but I also haven't had the time to go through the game more than twice (started more games to get the general feel though), never actually finishing it as twice is just not enough to gather enough crafting knowledge.

Yes, for those impatient, there is cheating. Not the way the game is meant to be played and certainly not what I'm interested in as a reviewer.

Frankly, the recipe-finding system I wrote as a deficiency made me think about going for 6 or even less, as I find it an incredibly game-breaking detail. Needless to say, one notices such things when you just don't have the time to go through the game ten or more times - and don't cheat. You want the game to be played the same from the first to the last time, the only thing getting better being you. Not the stored knowledge the game let's you use cumulatively.

Then my SotS fanboyinsm took over and the fun and lore details prevailed. My mistake, but I would do it all over again.

And BTW, nothing will save your arse if you're not playing smart. Not even luck.

Looks like S.V. is going to have to write and addendum to his "The Pit" Review.

https://www.gog.com/g...t_mindgames_dlc

The Pit : MindGames DLC

I took the liberty to move your post, NoX, I hope you don't mind. I moved it so I can answer without creating unnecessary crowd in Other gaming news.

I'd love to write an addendum but I don't think I will return to The Pit. I really dislike the design decision for the recipes and KNOWING that you CAN NOT win from the start - and for the next few games - is not really giving me much drive. I'll most likely buy the expansion anyway. I question my sanity.

No prob, I'm kind of hesitant to buy it considering your review and a few others. Is it just me, or has a lot of indie games in the last few months been using the same art/graphics style such as FTL, The Pit, Hotline Miami, Retro City Rampage, etc or am I completely disconnected from gaming?

I think retro look really exploaded with Minecraft. It could always have been around I guess but I didn't notice it... I like it, especially since it also means less stress for the comp. And it does bring back memories. Younger gamers may have less sympathy for the style though.

As far as buying or not - it depends on how much time you are able to devout to the game. And perhaps allowing youself to cheat may have a good real life excuse, like not being able to play the game ten times and probably more for the first win. I might actually take Silencer's advice myself, too. Might as well have some unrestricted fun. ;)

That is so wrong... and besides isn't it the specialty of roguelikes? In FTL you also can't always win.

It is not about being able to win every time, it is about not having a chance to win at all. I can't imagine the luck one should have to win in the first... 3-5 playthroughs. The chances are negligible, perhaps you stand a chance in fifth try on easy.

Again, I'm all for a hard game and tough luck. But collecting the info, necessary to survive for the first time, through several playthroughs is not good IMO. This is not a hard game, it is an impossible game that becomes possible later, if you have the time and the will.