Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:50 AM
So, I finally got to play this game and... while I am having some fun, I am not really in love with it, in fact, I think it's below all three of the original X-COMs and ALTAR's UFO series.
This is just a messy collection of thoughts and complaints about this game.
- WTF is up with the free movement the AI gets when you find any enemy units? It's nonsensical and unfair! Also, the "oops, you found us" animations on the Aliens every time you do gets old after the second time, and it's triggered every single time. There isn't even an in-game explaination, just fuck it, we get an extra move.
- This game plays like an extremely dumbed down version of X-Com, or even an strategy game. People bitch so much about the FPS version, but I'm not sure why they don't complain about this, it's insultingly watered down, filled with artificial constraints and limitations! You have to spend money (by the way, costs are so incoherent in this game) to unlock basic stuff like having 4 or 5 people in your squad, I was almost expecting that to be unlocked by inviting my Facebook friends to check out my cool farm. It's the same stupid limitation like not being able to go to multiple abduction sites, nope, it doesn't depend on your resources or capability, you just can't; looks like you're not allowed to have another Skyranger in the air...
- Speaking of limitations, not only you're not allowed to send multiple interceptors to shoot down an UFO, that's not enough, if your first interceptor failed, you're not allowed to send another UNTIL the first one returned to base... yeah, that makes sense.
- The base design is one f*cked up mess. Yes, it's cool to see how the base would look, instead of a top down look. But it's completely useless, after the novelty's worn off (which does pretty quick), it's just yet another thing that gets in your way. You cannot get a quick glimpse of your complete base, along with what's being built where, if you're masochistic enough you can browse every underground "room", which all look alike until you get a close look, of you have to go to Engineering, THEN to build facilities, and then you can have an overall look.
- Voice acting is terrible, character animations are pathetic, and at the beginning of the game they make you believe like your people on the base will have actual personalities, like, they introduce the scientist woman, the old engineer, etc. But after the first few missions, that's it, they're just... there. I wish I could just mute the boring and repeating voice cues whenever an interceptor is launched, a skyranger is sent, etc.
- How come all the aliens' weapons turn to dust when I kill them? ANOTHER limitation to prevent you from having more weapons and be forced to build them instead, why am I not flooded with Alien grenades and plasma rifles!?
- Sectoid commanders are a joke.
- The music is nice and well done, but I do miss the feeling of dread, dispair, and unknown that the original game had, the overall atmosphere of this game is aimed towards action instead of terror.
- The way the camera jumps around when you're aiming is also a piece of junk; also, no blind shooting, you have to have something in sight to be able to shoot (except for explosives); bs.
- Satellite uplinks are yet another artificial and stupid limitation to slow you down even further.
I read that the iPad version of this game plays the same. That is because this game feels more designed towards touch devices than for a PC. Touch devices usually have watered down versions of games, and this is one of them, everything in the game is made for an iPad's owner instead of a PC owner. Buttons are huge and all over your face, aiming moves the camera to a shoulder position so you can see the targets, and pre selects them for you; the overall UI feels like hand holding.