Raiding and storming

Ki-tat Chung

I'll just pull out my thesaurus and let's see if it has any wisdom to share on this matter.

Raid: assault, descent, blitz, incursion, sortie; onslaught, storming, charge, offensive...

Hmm, I don't think I need to go on. The answer's right there. Basically, they're just different ways of saying the same thing. "A attacked B".

Whoa, deja vu!

Before I forget: No, there's no real difference between the two verbs in the game.

- NKF

Well, even if there was a difference, they still achieve the same effect. Company A and B will like each other slightly less.

By the way, they can also sign 'treaties'. Shortly afterwards, be sure to see them raid each other again regardless of the truce.

And IF money is taken from either A or B's accounts (with how much they lose being influenced by the different verbs), the loss in money has no effect whatsoever, except the numbers of their bank balance look different.

That's right, even when a company is well into the negatives, the companies still attack each other (and you too, if you're one of their enemies). If it's a gang, they still send two hovercars/hoverbikes out to get slaughtered. And if you attack their buildings, they will always have a stock of weapons to fight you with.

Frankly, the politics in Apocalypse tend to become extremely chaotic after a while. I mean, the government attacking megapol and sanctuary clinic. Or, nutrivend attacking the government. Or transteller raiding superdynamics. Or worse still, X-Com and the Cult of Sirius allying with each other (after an overspawn accident) It's because of this I always try to bring air combat straight over to the alien dimension at the earliest opportunity so that I can ignore Mega Primus's wacky politics for good. It's scary sometimes.

- NKF

Yeah, I knew that a negative account does nothing. But I thought a company lost more money from a "storming". Oh well. :power:

Oh, and Gutseneintsenboughg is not really translatable. It's just that I felt like using the word. Gutseneintsenboughging means to Gutseneintsenbough, like the "act" of doing it. (Also if you knew what it meant it really wouldn't make much sense, really by saying "Gutseneintsenboughging all the time" I am contradicting my own post and in fact the very sentance!)

It's because of this I always try to bring air combat straight over to the alien dimension at the earliest opportunity so that I can ignore Mega Primus's wacky politics for good.

Ah! A person after my own heart! I thought it was just me that completely blitzed all UFO's in the alien dimension on a weekly basis to prevent them raiding Mega-Primus!

Yes, and I sometimes attempt to achieve air superiority in the alien dimension with a small squadron of Explorers too (since you can build them fast, and they are the first ship to have a hard point that fits a medium disrupter beam)! Not that I don't use Retaliators and Annihilators. I'm reffering to a point in the game where you don't have enough research to get the bigger and more powerful ships.

The moment you have control of the alien dimension's skies, the aliens are pretty much at your mercy, as long as you remember to send in the weekly mop-up team. So, the faster this happens, the better off you'll be politically.

The rest of the game does get somewhat dull at this point. But it does mean you can advance the game at your own pace without having to worry about freak gales of micronoids, or spontaneous appearances of overspuds.

- NKF

It doesn't work 100% of the time. I've had numerous occasions where they showered a perfectly friendly company with micronoids and shortly afterwards I notice on the company bar that they moved instantly to the hostile tab, and they would no longer accept any more bribes until I stopped attacking their 'alien' friends. I don't recall if it's reflected on the graphs, so you'll just have to wait until it happens.

Of course, most of the time I just watch the aliens rain micronoids on a building and fail, which is my cue to throw my head back and laugh. Even funnier is when they rain micronoids on one of your own bases (or that Recyclotorium). It would have been highly amusing to see an X-Com base defect to the aliens... :power: (that doesn't happen, of course)

- NKF

ahh....i see now. maybe they all go hostile at once, cuz i just saw psyke, transtellar and marsec go hostile at once, no bribes. well, i raided marsec 2 times, and they got scared so they each acked for compensation. oh well. oh, and i thinki figured out the answer for the thread. i was alwatys wondering, what happens if they fail a raid? well, heres out answer! maybe storming is successful, rading is just ok, and attacked is failed?

When we send our agents to a Cultist Temple, the program refers to this as "raiding." Similarly, airborne aggression against enemy ships or buildings is described as "attacking."

As far as I am aware, the program never gives us an opportunity to "storm" anything. It should. If storming involves piano wire and gonads then I want to storm Transtellar. :power:

Only the gangs have direct attacks on the buildings of their enemies (well, there's the aliens too, but they don't count). And you are always forced to watch it - or at least wait until the hoverbike or hovercar pair get slaughtered by the unusually powerful defences everyone seems to employ but never uses when the aliens enter the city.

Trust me, it's best to not think about it. The result is always the same. Some hostile action was taken on another company, and this has strained their relations a little. And besides, all the words, while different, all mean the same thing. The only one that has any difference, but only barely, is the 'treaty' signing. Even then hostilities towards each side brews up again only a few hours after signing the treaty.

But then again, I suppose half the fun is arguing about what each verb means. Ah well. Who am I to go an ruin everyones' fun? :power:

- NKF

When we send our agents to a Cultist Temple, the program refers to this as "raiding." Similarly, airborne aggression against enemy ships or buildings is described as "attacking."

As far as I am aware, the program never gives us an opportunity to "storm" anything. It should. If storming involves piano wire and gonads then I want to storm Transtellar. :power:

But if it failed is it described as storming?

I was talking about the program's "button captions."

After you take your agents to a cityscape building, the options you then have are either to investigate the building (for alien activity) or to raid it. Whichever you choose, you must then pick real-time or turn-based operation on the screen where your mission objectives are described. If you are on a raid, it warns you there about the consequences of taking such drastic action.

When you select one of your aircraft in the cityscape you may then send it to a map-point, send it to a building, return it to its home base, equip it, man it, attack another unit, or attack a building. If you decide to attack, you are then asked to select the building or unit you want to target.

I still want to "storm" Transtellar, though.