148 replies to this topic

#1 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

As we suspected, in the Bureau, XCOM faces some of the original aliens (so far Sectoids and Mutons confirmed).

The evolution of The Bureau.

I'm very much still looking forwards to this, still sounds awesome, though I also liked the early gooey and geometric concepts, that's a shame on that part.
Posted Image

#2 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

It's rather amusing to watch the evolution of the fans' opinions as well. Back when the original concepts came out, such a storm was kicked up over it because it just wasn't X-Com. Now that the developers have adjustments to bring it back to being an X-Com  game, lots of fans are starting to get disappointed that they weren't getting the original concept. Ah, fans. Love, hate em, that's us. ;)

It's been a slow cook project, so let's hope it was worth the wait.

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#3 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

What is strange that XCOM was/is International organisation :P Here we are operating only in good ol' U.S. of A.

Also why is that if it was FPS it was bad, but TPS is ok? Ok they added more tactical thing but I think it will resemble of something like last Brother in Arms game, rather than more tactical game like first Full Spectrum Warrior.
Though both were good games in BiA the player was 75% power horse unlike in first BiA.

Also maybe I am too picky, but mutons were just big soldiers, here they made them like space marines? Then the outsiders - they look different from Firaxis XCOM. I wish there was some kind of visible link between those two.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 Lt.Havoc

Lt.Havoc

Lieutenant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

Well, I think that The Bureau is a forerunner of X-con, so its a US Organization  and the X-com project was started later after it was realized that the whole world is facing a threat and not just the USA.
"War. War never changes"

#5 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:53 PM

X-COM is an international organization in the first X-Com game, nothing ever says that they did not start as an US-based organisation, who knows, we'll have to wait and see the story by ourselves.
Posted Image

#6 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:47 PM

There were possibly many local groups prior to X-Com with similar goals in mind that were later combined into an international co-operative,.Japan had the Kiryu Kai for example, though I'm not sure if they ever integrated into X-Com or just got mothballed. (Oh, and if you really want, England has S.H.A.D.O).

My new worry is just what my worry was for the Starwars 1 ~ 3 movies. Prequels with seemingly higher level technology than in the present-day continuity that we're familiar with. But I guess you've got to have that in games. Posted Image

- NKF
NKF, narrow minded fuddy duddy who refuses to let go of the past and will not accept anything newer than 1979.

#7 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:18 PM

P-47 downing a UFO that would be a nice view.

#8 Sunflash

Sunflash

SC's Resident Pony

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

I'm still wishing whomever is actually in control of the XCom name had kept it away from this. Blugh. Hopefully it'll flop hard and leave the OTHER new-game in charge.

Who am I kidding, wishful thinking.

#9 blackops

blackops

Squaddie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:18 AM

I already hate it. I'm just gonna ignore this game completely. I won't trust another company to decide X-COM's origins. Fuck them.

#10 Ecthel013

Ecthel013

Sergeant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:44 AM

I find it interesting, but I'll defer judgement until I've actually played the game.

#11 Space Voyager

Space Voyager

I've got my eye on you!

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:58 AM

Finally seen the whole movie and I like almost all of it. I'm sorry for the third person perspective, but I can live with that. All the rest seems to have gotten better and better.

#12 Thorondor

Thorondor

Thorondoropedia - Your source to everything Aftermath

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,467 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:39 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

::

Welcome to the sixties, aliens. Posted Image

#13 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,467 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

There's quite a handlful of previews/interviews cropping up out there.

Here are a few links to some of the better ones:

- Eurogamer (with exclusive video interview)
- Polygon (with video)
- Strategy Informer (interview; Edit: and preview)

#14 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

My worries are getting stronger - it looks like a single man game where player does 90% of the stuff and the team are there to provide colorful sparkles.

And if this really will have connection to the Firaxis game, I would like to know where those colorful sparkles went. It looks like that in final mission carter will blow up aliens mothership while they will destroy Bureau HQ leaving no trace of their technology. Then aliens swear revenge and come back 50 years later.

#15 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,467 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

You could at least have used *spoiler warnings*, silencer. But noooo...

Posted Image

#16 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

This is not exactly like the strategy game, wheee wheee *baby cry* :P

Anyhow, is The Bureau an XCOM game?

Apparently it's been confirmed from the demo that there'll be no base building, no research, and no manufacturing.

I still think the game looks awesome, but I wish they had kept the original concept as well; the first person shooter seemed to be more focused in the horror aspect, and the aliens (the goo, the phantom, etc) were incredible and extremely original.

Fighting mutons and sectoids... well, at least it seems like it's going to be the Alliance game we never got to play :)
Posted Image

#17 Thorondor

Thorondor

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,467 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

PC Gamer's Mr.Evan Lahti contemplates why this might not be the game he wanted.

#18 silencer_pl

silencer_pl

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:42 PM

I'm not crying that it is not a strategy game. It's ok that they are making team tactical game. But currently what they show is like comparing Gears of War with Mass Effect 2. And I expected a little more than that (less shooting, more tactical).

#19 Azrael Strife

Azrael Strife

Captain

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:57 AM

Nothing is going to be 100% like you wanted it to be. Still, you could be positive and think that while this game may not be the game of your dreams, it can still be a decent X-Com themed game (in case you childishly refuse to consider it an X-Com game), and a decent shooter, and enjoy it when it's released.

I think X-Com deserves a good first person game (tactical or plain shooter), and this one has potential, whether they waste it or not.
Posted Image

#20 NKF

NKF

Mr. Badger in disguise

• Site Staff
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:17 AM

To look on the bright side of, well, the bright side: This is definitely going to show up Enforcer big time. That alone will makes up for any of its sins - even if it's not quite what we're after. Posted Image

- NKF

NB: I'm saying that from the perspective of someone who did enjoy Enforcer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users