Request for OpenXCom subforum

phispooky

The X-COM forums are for officially created games by the IP rights holder(s). Reworking the game by a third party (even if it uses the original resources) is technically a project. That's why UFO 2000 is in the projects section too (although to a lesser extent now). tongue.png

But now that I look at it, the Special Projects forums only contain X-COM related projects at the moment. It probably could be moved under the X-COM category. I think the reason why we (StrategyCore) have it separate was to give the projects more visibility and make project news posting parse to the front page news (not sure if this is even working anymore or if our policies have changed since it was implemented). wink.png

- Zombie

The X-COM forums are for officially created games by the IP rights holder(s). Reworking the game by a third party (even if it uses the original resources) is technically a project. That's why UFO 2000 is in the projects section too (although to a lesser extent now). tongue.png

But now that I look at it, the Special Projects forums only contain X-COM related projects at the moment. It probably could be moved under the X-COM category. I think the reason why we (strategyCore) have it separate was to give the projects more visibility and make project news posting parse to the front page news (not sure if this is even working anymore or if our policies have changed since it was implemented). wink.png

- Zombie

Thanks for the insight. Sounds fine to me.

Hmm, sometimes it seems to be difficult to differentiate between mods and full projects. For me it's ok though the way it is right now. So, let's start the stories and experience topics :)

That is because I think some UFOs mods and Silent Storm mods are stored in their representative forum. So in theory they should be moved to special projects.

The UFO/S2/S3 mods are not projects. Sure, some are very ambitious in their scope, but none of them mess with the executables or drastically change the AI for example. ;)

Hmm, sometimes it seems to be difficult to differentiate between mods and full projects. For me it's ok though the way it is right now.

Yep it can be hard to pigeon hole something as either a project or a mod. There are always gray areas. UFO/TFTD Extender is a good example of that. Technically those are projects (at least in my eyes), but they aim at fixing things so it's a more of a mod or patch.

Meh, whatever. As long as you are happy, I'm happy too. :)

- Zombie

It happened in vanilla too... got once attacked on 12th of January. Fighting cyberdiscs with rifles is ekhm...

Yes, had no chance against the cyberdiscs. I fumbled on the equipment screen and missed to assign the rocket launcher. Two auto-guns and the rest with rifles did not cause any damage on the cyberdiscs. At least the 10 sectoids were taken care of ;)