So Many TB/RT Strategy Games - Which is best?

Hi everyone!

Im looking for the opinion of this forum for the best real time or turn based strategy games made in the last 5 years. Ive been looking on google and steam but cant decide which one to jump into.

Im a huge fan of XCOM, Starcraft and CnC (the older ones - CNC4 is terrible)

suggestions, comments?

thx!

BEST... is a very subjective term. For starters you can check our reviews (look under "articles" section) to see what the authors thought about those games, but that doesn't even scratch the surface. Even in space strategy, my special love, I'm unsure what to recommend THE MOST. A lot of these games are plain great and picking a definite winner just won't happen. The ones reviewed here at SC are all more than worth trying, but games like Distant Worlds look like a must just as well.

Then there's Fallen Enchantress, which looks like a great TB game in a fantasy setting etc. Gah, sorry not to have been of any use with finding the best game there is.

BTW, welcome to StrategyCore!

Subjective indeed. The "best" game probably does not exist, but certainly one of the better games out there will be the one that you personally will enjoy. One that fits your tastes and what amuses you the most. Or if not any of these, then one that manages to grab you an engage you to the point that you do start enjoying it. Others may not feel the same way, but you can't please everyone. ;)

I can't offer any opinions, as the last strategy game I played besides XCOM, was a quasi base defence game built on a popular 3rd person platform/puzzle/shooter for the PS3.

- NKF

If you don't mind playing some old games, try Jagged Alliance games or for example Silent Storm - but for SS you'd better buy GoG version as SS has problems with new computers or if you have less then 4GB of ram you should do fine with any version.

It all depends on what you like in strategy games. You also might want to play Company of Heroes or Warhammer 40k Dawn of War. I don't suggest playing DoW 2 - at least the main release since you will get bored to tears with it's campaign - don't know about the expansions.

You can also go with classic Panzer General series and I think there were some new revisions of this game or quite similar to it.

It's stretching the definition of "strategy" slightly, but the King's Bounty games are tremendous fun if you are looking for something a bit lighter. Turn based seems to undergoing something of a renaissance now that XCOM has been successful so hopefully there will be more options in the future.

Awesome responses guys! Ive got some researching to do. Yeah I saw https://www.strategycore.co.uk/forums/topic/10447-invaders-mark-the-spot/#entry124076

and I found this pic im using for my avatar from https://www.tier2games.com/

there is also a sick comic page - but they need to add some stuff to it.

the new x-com is ok but it negates the reason I loved x-com in the first place. I like having more than 5 squadies and I dont like beign told I have to do everything in 2 moves per turn - that's retarded!

Also the mini-cutscenes all the time are annoying and the maps are not random - keep getting the same areas over and over.

BEST... is a very subjective term. For starters you can check our reviews (look under "articles" section) to see what the authors thought about those games, but that doesn't even scratch the surface. Even in space strategy, my special love, I'm unsure what to recommend THE MOST. A lot of these games are plain great and picking a definite winner just won't happen. The ones reviewed here at SC are all more than worth trying, but games like Distant Worlds look like a must just as well.

Then there's Fallen Enchantress, which looks like a great TB game in a fantasy setting etc. Gah, sorry not to have been of any use with finding the best game there is.

BTW, welcome to StrategyCore!

Distant Worlds.. i'll check it out. Thanks for the welcome!

If you don't mind playing some old games, try Jagged Alliance games or for example Silent Storm - but for SS you'd better buy GoG version as SS has problems with new computers or if you have less then 4GB of ram you should do fine with any version.

It all depends on what you like in strategy games. You also might want to play Company of Heroes or Warhammer 40k Dawn of War. I don't suggest playing DoW 2 - at least the main release since you will get bored to tears with it's campaign - don't know about the expansions.

You can also go with classic Panzer General series and I think there were some new revisions of this game or quite similar to it.

yeah it was terrible.

CnC & Red Alert & to some extent Total Anniliation were all gems. (Startcraft is fantasitc but I get tired of it ;-(